Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:20 PM

205 posts, read 503,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel stanley View Post
I would question anyone's motives who only lists areas west of Denver in a very tight grouping. Personally, I would never choose to live in any of those areas because they are inconveniently located if you want to actually make use of what Denver has, which is all east of I-25.
In your other post, you mention that you're a landlord. Any chance that your rental is east of i-25?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 03:11 PM

369 posts, read 966,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel stanley View Post
I would question anyone's motives who only lists areas west of Denver in a very tight grouping. Personally, I would never choose to live in any of those areas because they are inconveniently located if you want to actually make use of what Denver has, which is all east of I-25.
Hi, welcome to this forum. Please make an attempt to be civil by not insinuating malfeasance on the part of a long term member and disparaging roughly half of the metro area.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,244 times
Lived in big cities before like Berlin, Germany, Brooklyn, Boston - now Denver apparently.
I live in the Foothills with a great view of Denver but I'm "outside" but few minutes I'm in town.
Well of course I can't tell you where to go, but I was thinking Golden, Morrsion or bit smaller but place to check out like Boulder.

Sure $$ is the issue but you both have to match it - location and maybe something more unique ?!
Just a thought...

Old 03-27-2013, 04:15 PM

51 posts, read 116,559 times
Have you considered Edgewater? I has a somewhat "small town" feel, is close to a really nice park, shops, cafes, a good bar or three, and public transit access to highlands, downtown, or light rail to anywhere else.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:06 AM

67 posts, read 109,346 times
Default You guys sent me in the right direction. Would you help fine tune the choices?

After my earlier post "any cool enclaves in Denver", I was directed towards the nice looking neighborhoods of Sunny Side, Berkeley, Highlands, etc. That area. I've researched extensively since that post and I am liking those areas. I love the older houses. Maybe that's my "white picket fence" fantasy. And some of these areas offer houses in my price range: $375k thereabouts. I'm going down from Frisco in two weeks to look at the various areas, and do a reality check regarding the culture shock of moving to a big city after being in the mountains for decades. At the same time it's exciting to think of doing something new and very different. For me change is growth. And just fun.

Perhaps you guys could elaborate a bit on one aspect of that part of Denver. I'm a 65 year old, single woman with a little dog. I consider myself to be fairly hip. By that I mean that I appreciate new trends; don't think every thing in the past was better; still enjoy a bit of partying now and then; am not judgmental (unless someone's just plain mean); like lively younger people as well as my own age group (as long as they aren't too attached to their rocking chairs already). I would enjoy meeting friends at the cozy corner bar and love concerts at Red Rocks. I want to walk my dog, bike the trails, meet new friends and try out all the wonderful things the city has to offer. I'd love to move into an area that IS diverse. I wouldn't particularly want to settle into an area that feels like it's ALL young families with kids, not that I don't like them too, but I want to feel like I can fit in. Reasonable safety is important also.

Do any of those neighborhoods fit my personal demographic better than others? I SO appreciate your help and this forum. I wish I had time to go to the area and rent awhile, but I have felt in limbo since divorcing five years ago, and I am ready, ready, ready to stop floating around. Moving is so costly and exhausting!

Thank you for your time and thoughts!

Old 03-31-2013, 11:08 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
I would say Sloan's Lake is also up your alley.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:10 AM

Yes. I've had people mention that area too, but it slipped my mind when researching. I'll search the site for info about that area. Thanks!

Old 03-31-2013, 11:28 AM

426 posts, read 1,736,356 times
Denver is not a great city for enclaves. Capitol Hill is pretty dumpy and I'm not especially fond of Cheesman Park. I'd say look at Wash Park or the City Park area. Personally I really like the City Park area; it's my favorite part of the city. I also don't mind Glendale. It's not an enclave at all but there is no better place to live in Denver if you want to be close to good shopping.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:29 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
In this market it pays to expand your search net, not make it smaller. You will drive yourself nuts if you are too limiting. There is not that much on the market.

Be broad and approved for your loan, if any before you commit to house shopping.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:17 PM

2bindenver, that's good advice. I am hoping to get a mortgage for a half or a third of the price. And I won't begin to look until I have that or my other option in place.

I've studied Trulia and other sites and there seems to be a fair amount of inventory in Berkeley. Are those sites realistic? I don't wish to waste anyone's time, so I'm not talking to a realtor yet. When the financial approach is in place, I am coming down to stay a few nights. I know. Not much time for a sampling. But I'm definitely between a rock and a hard place with my lease here ending May 31. And I don't have a small household to move or store. I'm going to have to be thoughtful but decisive I guess and trust my instincts once I begin to physically look. I'm hoping research and suggestions at least help me get headed in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver