Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:54 PM

112 posts, read 168,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62mike View Post
I am glad to hear that about Glacier NP. Actually we wanted to do Yellowstone and GNP but thought it was to much time on the road. GNP seems like a long haul. I agree I wanted to see the Tetons and spend time there.

I wonder if we could see the Tetons, spend a long day in Yellowstone and then head to GNP and return back to Denver or is that to much?

Can I assume that the Tetons and GNP is a car trip? Drive, get out and admire the scenery, and move on? Maybe some short hiking trails to a nice site?
the drive back from gnp to denver is a long, long haul. i'd venture to say it's too much with a 12 year old in the car for that long, unless your kid is a champ at 14 hour car rides. it was a day from denver to yellowstone, another day from yellowstone to gnp, and a very long day to get almost all the way back to denver from gnp. do you really want to spend an entire vacation day driving back to denver? that's a lot of gas, too.

i can't speak for the tetons since i didn't stop there, but yellowstone is more of a drive around, look at stuff, get out and take short hikes kind of place. gnp doesn't have as many roads and is set up for more long-hike type activities. if your family isn't keen on long hikes and wants to see wildlife, i'd say don't overlook yellowstone. there's lots of wildlife to see and plenty of shorter interesting hikes. long hikes too, don't get me wrong.

another minus for going to gnp in early june is that the going-to-the-sun road typically isn't open by then.

i like your idea of just venturing into yellowstone for the day. another thought would be to check out rocky mountain national park, or have you thought about flying into slc and going to places like moab (canyonlands is really amazing) or bryce np? they aren't super far from slc.

maybe this year check out yellowstone and if all goes well, come back in a year or two and go to glacier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 12:25 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundele View Post
another minus for going to gnp in early june is that the going-to-the-sun road typically isn't open by then.
The OP said he is going in late June, not early June. I'm pretty sure Going To The Sun is open by that time. But if its not, then that would be a deal killer IMHO.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
As I look at the map, Glacier Nat Park is very close to Spokane, which has a decent airport, so why not head to Spokane and fly out of there? Even Seattle is still no more than half the distance back to Denver, and either Spokane or Seattle, you'd be seeing new stuff all the way. If your Denver airline tickets are already bought and non-changable, try checking price/availability of flying from Spokane to Denver to connect.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-22-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 03-25-2013, 06:15 PM
WiW

167 posts, read 577,749 times
GNP isn't going anywhere. I think 8 days will give you a very good feel for the Tetons & Yellowstone. From Denver to Jackson, I recommend taking Rt 119 from Rock Springs. You'll see the wind river range along the way & it is beautiful. Research the Wind River range since there may be some nice spots like Pinedale to spend a day & explore.

You can also get to the Tetons on Rt 287 from Rawlins which I've heard is nice, but haven't done it yet.

While at the Tetons, you can go over the Teton Pass to Driggs Idaho & to the Grand Targhee to see the Tetons from the West or hike/drive up the picturesque Teton Canyon

You could return to Denver from Yellowstone's east entrance & Rt 25 all the way. I haven't done that either.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:02 PM

182 posts, read 449,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
As I look at the map, Glacier Nat Park is very close to Spokane, which has a decent airport, so why not head to Spokane and fly out of there? Even Seattle is still no more than half the distance back to Denver, and either Spokane or Seattle, you'd be seeing new stuff all the way. If your Denver airline tickets are already bought and non-changable, try checking price/availability of flying from Spokane to Denver to connect.
I appreciate all the great advice everyone had offered which is very relevant. I will check on the Amtrak from Denver to SLC that would be a fantastic experience for us.

I have checked flying into SLC, Spokane, Bozeman, etc. and the airfare from Nashville is terrible like $500.00 per person RT. I can fly into Denver for around $228 RT which makes a big difference.

Rental cars seem a little high out of Denver I have noticed.

One other question about Denver and that is where to spend the night. I stayed at the Brown Palace years ago but I was by myself. We love to be in safe walking distance of shops and eating places. Are there any reasonable hotels near the street (can't recall the name) that has all the shops and eating places on it?

Thanks again.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Sounds like you're talking about the 16th St Mall area, which runs from Union Station for a couple of miles, with free bus along 16th and no cars. Note too that if you take the train to SLC, Denver Union Station is right there at 16th Street and a good hotel there is the Old Oxford Hotel, a short block from the station.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:27 PM

182 posts, read 449,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Sounds like you're talking about the 16th St Mall area, which runs from Union Station for a couple of miles, with free bus along 16th and no cars. Note too that if you take the train to SLC, Denver Union Station is right there at 16th Street and a good hotel there is the Old Oxford Hotel, a short block from the station.
Yes, thank you. I found it online after I posted. 16th Street Mall area sounds like a good place to stroll around. We will be arriving in the morning so it will give us something to do while we wait to check in to a hotel.

I saw that hotel you mentioned online I will check further on prices and availability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: