U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 02:04 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,973,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
We've noticed a big divide in people's reactions based on age and life experience. People about our age (34 and 29) are generally excited for us and the opportunity a city with a more reasonable cost of living can provide. People a generation older say things like "Its cold there." That's all my mom can think of any time the subject comes up. Of course she was born in LA, has never lived anywhere else, has owned the same house since 1974 and is thus insulated from today's outrageous housing costs.

Are people (especially people on the coasts) generally supportive of your plans or do they think you're moving to some middle of nowhere cow town that's buried under 10ft of snow 6 months of the year?
We got the same when we decided to move from CA to CO. People our age (30's) were mostly jealous we were getting out. Older people wished they'd gotten out when their kids were young. Now they have to wait to retire. Our parents were completely against the idea for selfish reasons (didn't want the grandkids 1200 miles away). They also have lived in the same house since 1972, and apparently don't believe in moving. I hope someday they will understand how nice it is here (South Denver Metro) and will understand why we made the choice. My mom also has the wrong idea about cold and snow. She thinks it is much worse than it actually is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 02:12 PM

86,876 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingcol View Post
Almost all of our Bay Area friends think it makes no sense for us to move to CO. Cold, snow, no IT jobs, no excellent colleges for kids, that is all they can think of. This makes my wife hesitate to quit her job.
Most of the out-of-state students at the University of Colorado are from California.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:16 PM

369 posts, read 839,543 times
Quote:
Almost all of our Bay Area friends think it makes no sense for us to move to CO. Cold, snow, no IT jobs, no excellent colleges for kids, that is all they can think of. This makes my wife hesitate to quit her job.
That's interesting. Most of my Bay Area friends are jealous we got out - especially the parents. We thought about moving back a few years back and not one person said the Bay Area is a great place to raise kids. Everyone said it's an ok place to raise kids unless you have a lot of money. Otherwise you have two parents slaving away in the mines while someone else raises your kids.

I'm not sure why they think there are no IT jobs in CO. There are a bunch, but there are no big anchor companies here. The biggest was JD Edwards but Oracle bought them a while back. The amount of startup activity is small compared to the Bay Area, but amount of VC money in the Bay Area is order of magnitude higher than anywhere else on the planet. Denver is still one of the hottest hi-tech markets in the country, usually coming in after Boston and Seattle for most measurements. And Boulder has the highest per-capita rate of software engineers in the country. That being said, the majority of the work here isn't "we're going to fundamentally change the world" kind of stuff, it's mainly implementation type stuff. But the upside is that the employers are *very* family friendly compared to the Bay Area - Work to Live, not Live to Work kind of thing. You can find waky-a$$ startups around, mainly in Boulder (which is known as "Boulder, California").

This is easy to verify, just hit Craig's List, hotjobs.com, or monster.

As for higher education, there are some excellent schools here. Check out the rankings of CU Boulder for law, business, and the sciences. DU has top tier business, law, and music schools. Colorado School of Mines has top engineering programs. Now, these schools are not well-known in the Bay Area, which is most likely the criteria those folks are using.

As for the weather, just tell them Denver gets more hours of sunshine per year than San Diego And that we get less annual rainfall than LA (we make up for it in snow). But yea, if you move, expect lots of "Have you seen the sun lately" and "How many feet of snow do you have" kind of questions. I've been here almost 10 years and my Bay Area friends still think winters here involve 20 foot snow drifts and constant blizzard conditions.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:28 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,794,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Not true at all. IT is my spouse's industry, and it's doing reasonably well in the Denver metro area. Corporate Express just did a big lay-off, but IHS and Great West life are known to be hiring. Compared to the number of jobs available in the Bay area (that's where we're from), it may seem like there aren't many IT jobs here, but I think it's an unfair comparison.
Plus, someone with IT skills can also exploit the mammoth aerospace and defense industry in the Denver/Colorado Springs region.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:48 PM

86,876 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Quote:
(which is known as "Boulder, California").
I have lived here 27 yrs and never heard that term before. I can assure you it is not commonly used. Of all the cities in Colorado, Boulder is probably the most concerned with being "Californicated".

Old 10-27-2007, 07:53 PM

55,479 posts, read 74,366,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
We've noticed a big divide in people's reactions based on age and life experience. People about our age (34 and 29) are generally excited for us and the opportunity a city with a more reasonable cost of living can provide. People a generation older say things like "Its cold there." That's all my mom can think of any time the subject comes up. Of course she was born in LA, has never lived anywhere else, has owned the same house since 1974 and is thus insulated from today's outrageous housing costs.

Are people (especially people on the coasts) generally supportive of your plans or do they think you're moving to some middle of nowhere cow town that's buried under 10ft of snow 6 months of the year?
my buddies in estes tell me not to even come until spring apparently the word winter has major meaning in denver
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-27-2007, 09:17 PM

136 posts, read 680,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Also, Colorado is not a cold, miserable place to live. Yes, we can get a lot of snow, but we also get a lot of sunshine. If you want cold, miserable, snowy winters, try Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, or anywhere in the northern tier. Colorado snow just doesn't hold a candle to the interminable winters of the northeast and northern midwest.
I sure know this. I lived in Fort Collins 5 years about 10 years ago. The best part of CO weather I love is that one day it is snowing, the next day is sunshine. The air is fresh and you feel your brain is freshed. I don't like the "cold summer" of Bay Area. I miss snow so much!

Old 10-27-2007, 09:40 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,739,753 times
Quote:
I sure know this. I lived in Fort Collins 5 years about 10 years ago. The best part of CO weather I love is that one day it is snowing, the next day is sunshine. The air is fresh and you feel your brain is freshed. I don't like the "cold summer" of Bay Area. I miss snow so much!
Absolutely! The blizzards this past winter were fantastic! I didn't even mind being unable to get out of the neighborhood for a couple of days, although I did learn to keep a couple of weeks of food in the house just in case. It was gorgeous and took me right back to my childhood in Ohio and the great "Blizzard of '78."

Must say, though, I miss the Bay area very much. San Francisco is an incredible city that I think I will pine for all the rest of my days on earth. I still can't go back for a visit for fear that I wouldn't get back on the airplane to come home.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:56 PM

98 posts, read 319,835 times
Most of the time when I tell people I'm moving to Colorado they are excited for me. Happy for me and my son to finally get away from here. Then comes..."Wait, isn't it buried under 10 feet of snow most of the year?" Sure it is, you won't be able to handle it. I'd hate for it to turn into another Vegas, your secret is safe with me.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:41 PM

12 posts, read 29,389 times
Most of my friends think something is wrong with me when I tell them that I want to leave CA... as if this is some sort of heaven or something...more like hell if you ask me

Forgot to mention...they also all think that after I move to Denver, I'll end up moving back to CA, but I think they're wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or