U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 12:47 PM

361 posts, read 494,744 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move from North Carolina (the Triangle area of Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) to the greater Denver area. If I move, it will be with job-in-hand, so that's not an issue. The position is located in Lakewood. I'm planning on renting at first, so that I can take some time to explore the area and find out where I like. But, based on research already done, I'm thinking I'm going to end up living somewhere in Jefferson County (is it actually called Jeffco by the locals? I picked that up from the school website).

One thing I am very interested in is a high school with a strong music program. My daughter will be a rising sophomore at the time of the move, and is a string musician (double bass), focusing primarily on classical music. In addition to playing, she's also very into music theory and composition. We are looking for a high school where she will be able to continue and further those interests. In searching the Denver forum, I've found lots of good information on schools in general, but not much about music programs. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 PM

10,913 posts, read 29,404,684 times
Call the high schools in question, ask questions from both the head of the music department, and the principal.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 PM

87,006 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALStafford View Post
I am considering a move from North Carolina (the Triangle area of Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) to the greater Denver area. If I move, it will be with job-in-hand, so that's not an issue. The position is located in Lakewood. I'm planning on renting at first, so that I can take some time to explore the area and find out where I like. But, based on research already done, I'm thinking I'm going to end up living somewhere in Jefferson County (is it actually called Jeffco by the locals? I picked that up from the school website).

One thing I am very interested in is a high school with a strong music program. My daughter will be a rising sophomore at the time of the move, and is a string musician (double bass), focusing primarily on classical music. In addition to playing, she's also very into music theory and composition. We are looking for a high school where she will be able to continue and further those interests. In searching the Denver forum, I've found lots of good information on schools in general, but not much about music programs. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thanks much!
Fairview High School in Boulder has a music program of some reknown.
Fairview High School

Old 04-01-2013, 02:50 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,906,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Call the high schools in question, ask questions from both the head of the music department, and the principal.
Actually, start with the head of the district's music program. She should be able to steer you to a high school that has a program that will fit your daughter's needs. What you need is an orchestra program more than you need a band program.

The Denver School of the Arts is another possibility. It might be too late to get an audition for next year, but I hear they are always looking for strings musicians.

Cherry Creek HS, which is a long ways from Lakewood has an excellent orchestra. Listening to them is like listening to professionals.
Here is a video.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:22 AM

14,035 posts, read 20,355,620 times
Default Congratulations to Legacy High School

The Legacy High School Band of Broomfield was in the 2015 Tournament of Roses Parade this morning.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:19 PM

361 posts, read 494,744 times
I saw that too! Had to call my kiddo (spending new year's with her dad). She was pretty excited for them, and said they have a stellar marching program. The instrumental world is pretty small, so music kids tend to support each other a lot; she was thrilled for the Legacy kids.

My kiddo ended up at Lakewood High, which has been a great fit; they played at CMEA last year, she's playing in the chamber orchestra (the highest of three orchestras) and wind ensemble, and she as well as four of her orchestra/band mates made all-state this year. If anyone finds this thread and is relocating with a musician to the Denver area, please feel free to DM me!

Old 01-01-2015, 03:19 PM

136 posts, read 218,545 times
Not a school, but check out DYAO. Their top tier has a solid reputation.
She could participate regardless of what school she attends.

Oops.
Just saw this is an old thread.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:15 AM

2,409 posts, read 2,640,734 times
Quote:
I saw that too! Had to call my kiddo (spending new year's with her dad). She was pretty excited for them, and said they have a stellar marching program. The instrumental world is pretty small, so music kids tend to support each other a lot; she was thrilled for the Legacy kids.

My kiddo ended up at Lakewood High, which has been a great fit; they played at CMEA last year, she's playing in the chamber orchestra (the highest of three orchestras) and wind ensemble, and she as well as four of her orchestra/band mates made all-state this year. If anyone finds this thread and is relocating with a musician to the Denver area, please feel free to DM me!
Congrats on finding a suitable place for your kid!

Old 01-05-2015, 09:53 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,289,110 times
Quote:

The one thing I don't like about DPS (Denver Public Schools) is that they have no real marching band program. From what I can tell, they have one tiny marching band for all the high schools and it's about 25 students who only march in an occasional parade. No half time shows for football games. Denver School of the Arts has a great band program, but it sounds like it's focused on symphonic ban, orchestra, jazz bands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or