Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,781 times

Advertisements

I am hoping someone can help. I have researched the Renters Laws but can not find anything that fits my problem. In December 2012 I was notified that I would not have a job. I have a two year lease which was to expire May 31, 2013. I contacted the owner and explained the situation and asked if there was anyway to break the lease. They gave me several conditions (have the place professional painted and cleaned) and if they could rent it they would let me know of the lease. In the few days that followed, I verbally informed that I would be remaining until the end of my lease, but that I would not renew or remain at the residence. I have always paid my rent on time and this 2-year lease is after completion of a 1-year lease. I sent an email to the property owner on March 31, 2013 notify them that I would not be renewing the lease and would be vacating the residence on May 31, 2013. I received a letter stating that I had to provide written notification by mail and that I was required to give a 60 work day notice and comply with the items in the lease.
1. I have requested a copy of the lease several times in the time I have lived here. I have been told that they would get it to me but that never happened.
2. The property owner has communicated with me via email about property related items in the past.

What recourse do I have, I can't stay after May 31,2013. I am having health problems and want to move back to California to be near my family.

Anyone out there with some legal advise? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Send a certified mail letter. Demand that the landlord provide you with a copy of the current lease. Schedule the final walkthrough, take dated photos of the property. Move out.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:21 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Grammar Nazi Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmundy View Post
Anyone out there with some legal advise? Thanks.
Advice. I would advise you to learn the difference.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:42 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,097 times
I don't see what the problem is. Your lease expires May 31st. You're planning to move out on May 31st.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:55 PM

833 posts, read 1,712,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
I don't see what the problem is. Your lease expires May 31st. You're planning to move out on May 31st.

So long as the OP follows 2b's advice about the dated photos I have to agree. I know its a little cliche, but I like to use the standard "put today's paper in the image" since it is so easy to alter the timestamp.

Take a separate picture of the front page and then just toss the paper in the corner of each room when taking the rest of the photos.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:27 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Some leases automatically convert to month to month

Old 04-08-2013, 06:16 PM

215 posts, read 771,649 times
When I lived in LA my lease automatically converted to month to month. Though when I did the walk through everything was fine and then two months later I got a letter in the mail saying I owed $200 for painting and fixing holes in the walls... There were no holes in the wall.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:03 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
I agree with the certified letter. I would also print out a copy of the email you sent with the March 31 date to show that you did give 60 days notice. I'm pretty sure in this day & age that an email notice would hold up as written notice if need be. I also agree with the photos. Hopefully you have photos from when you moved in as well, but even if you don't, photos showing how you left the property will help if there are any discrepancies regarding return of your deposit.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:05 PM

792 posts, read 2,873,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmundy View Post
I sent an email to the property owner on March 31, 2013 notify them that I would not be renewing the lease and would be vacating the residence on May 31, 2013. I received a letter stating that I had to provide written notification by mail and that I was required to give a 60 work day notice and comply with the items in the lease.
What is their position, that an email they received is not written notice? I don't think they can force you to live in the 19th century. Shall the letter be sealed with wax, too?

In any case, in most cities a landlord must make a good faith effort to re-rent the apartment even if you just get up and go, and if they do rent it, they can't double dip and continue to collect rent from you as well. Look up the rental ordinances and I think you'll find that provision.

I also find it hard to believe that the notice period specifies working days, lol. If I were you I'd head over to their office tomorrow and get the straight story.

Last edited by JBPisgah; 04-09-2013 at 06:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver