U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 AM

12,266 posts, read 8,053,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by judydelo1 View Post
Neighborhoods are part of the equation. The question is why are you so insulting?
If you spend enough time on the Denver forum you will start to understand Davebarnes.

If your daughter is willing to use the light rail system then there are a ton of options south of Santa Fe along the rail lines. Apartment buildings have been built at each stop. Look up the Denver light rail along the I25 corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:53 AM

14 posts, read 14,435 times
Timmyy that's good to know! (on both counts, lol)

If she takes the light rail it does look like there are more options. The closest station to the 1075 Santa Fe address is the 10th and Osage Station, a 10 minute walk. Just not sure it's a good idea for her to walk that far in that neighborhood. I did notice that if she rides the bus to Cherry Creek North, the bus stop is less than a minute down the block from ballet.

I'll call a realtor today to see what they think. I find it helpful to get a feel for neighborhoods, etc before coming and doing an in person apartment search. I appreciate the input.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 AM

10,067 posts, read 13,970,290 times
Quote:
Timmyy that's good to know! (on both counts, lol)

If she takes the light rail it does look like there are more options. The closest station to the 1075 Santa Fe address is the 10th and Osage Station, a 10 minute walk. Just not sure it's a good idea for her to walk that far in that neighborhood. I did notice that if she rides the bus to Cherry Creek North, the bus stop is less than a minute down the block from ballet.

I'll call a realtor today to see what they think. I find it helpful to get a feel for neighborhoods, etc before coming and doing an in person apartment search. I appreciate the input.
BTW I have taken light rail several times and it is safe. There is professional, armed security, Pinkerton guards ( I think off duty cops ).

Old 04-09-2013, 10:02 AM

I'm sure riding the train is safe. It's the walk in the dark from 1075 Santa Fe Drive to the station that I'm thinking about.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 AM

919 posts, read 985,413 times
This is Denver, there really are not the high-crime areas that you are envisioning and your daughter is not going to be accosted by rapists and murderers on a daily basis. Crime tends to be drunken fights outside of the bars (LoDo), property theft, etc.

The transit is an issue as Denver has a large hub and spoke system set up for transit. Downtown is the hub and a lot of the crosstown buses terminate at DT which would necessitate a transfer to get to the ballet facility on Santa Fe.

Cherry Creek North is probably going to be out of the price range that you are looking at, but it's not exactly what you're envisioning either. The apartments are mostly on the east side of Cherry Creek and are segregated from the shopping area. It's not really intermixed and what is intermixed is going to be out of your stated price range. Another idea would be to find a place in Wash Park West near the 1 and 0 bus lines close to Broadway and 1st Avenue. This will provide your daughter with good transit options to both sites and the area is a very dynamic one with a lot of people walking around and a number of bike lanes that can be used as well. There are numerous apartments in the area intermixed with a lot of single-family homes; a number of these homes are also rentals. The major crime issues in this are is car vandalism and drunkenness (someone will wake up to find a person asleep on their couch because they think it's their home, which is easily solved by locking your front door).

You could look at the Marquis at the Parkway apartment complex. It would be a couple of blocks from the ballet's future location and would allow your daughter to walk to the ballet's facility. It's located close to the Auraria campus and a lot of the complex's residents are students. Though that comes with it's own bevy of issues.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:18 AM

wong21 thanks for the info! Where are the vibrant streets that you are referring to/suggesting in the west washington park area?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I'm sure riding the train is safe. It's the walk in the dark from 1075 Santa Fe Drive to the station that I'm thinking about.
That's a hard one. That is an area that is undergoing rapid gentrification, but still has some rough spots and a homeless problem. The Art District along Santa Fe is a lively place with a lot of foot traffic, especially at the time your daughter would be getting out of practice. But, those couple of blocks between Santa and the station is an area that changing. A lot of construction and people moving in to do complete home renovations but also some issues with the chronic homeless.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
wong21 thanks for the info! Where are the vibrant streets that you are referring to/suggesting in the west washington park area?
Anywhere within a a few blocks north or south of 1st Ave and either just west of Broadway or to the east to Speer Blvd would be pretty good. It's an old streetcar suburb with a lot of young professionals and little blocks of retail. There are people walking around the neighborhood late into the evening. Broadway in that area is a pretty dynamic area with shops, restaurants, bars, etc. with a lot of people walking about as well.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:43 PM

96 posts, read 192,511 times
Check out Parker and Castle Rock if you want lower crime areas. http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Colorado.html Note that the highest crimes in these areas are theft and burglaries. Crime has grown in every city in America over the past decade. She needs to take a self defense class. If she is with a ballet company, they will inevitably be traveling across the country to cities that have higher crime rates than Denver. I would love to keep mine with me in a box all of the time but it just isn't realistic. Give her the tools she needs now to take care of herself when she is out on her own. That is one of the most important gifts you could give her right now.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:43 PM

13,965 posts, read 20,238,281 times
Default Data are your friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr1967 View Post
Crime has grown in every city in America over the past decade.
1. Boston, Denver and NYC do not make the list of 100 most dangerous.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

2. Violent crime has fallen

3. More data
United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2011

Last edited by Yac; 04-23-2013 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or