Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 02:31 PM

14 posts, read 16,761 times

Advertisements

Hello

My 18 year old daughter is considering moving to Denver this June to accept a position with the Colorado Ballet. They are currently located on 1278 Lincoln Street in the Capitol Hill area (near two recent murders). I read that the Guardian Angels were patrolling that area because of crime, which does and doesn't make me feel good about sending her there.

Colorado Ballet purchased a building on 1075 Santa Fe Drive in the Arts District of Lincoln Park. They will be moving into the new location once it is renovated sometime in 2014.

I am concerned about both of these areas being high crime districts. She would be moving by herself and living with another young, beautiful female dancer. I'm not even sure where we should look for apartments or how she should commute from her apartment to the ballet studios. I would imagine taxis are not freely available as an alternative.

Any insight you can give would be appreciated. If these areas are just too unsafe, she may not accept the offer to dance with Colorado Ballet. It is a big decision as she has been training for many years to get to this point. We live in a rural area of Connecticut, and she has been training for the past 4 years in NYC. She knows how to use the train and bus systems in both NYC and Boston. But I would need to know that I am not sending her off to be in harms way if she moves to Denver by herself, etc.

Thanks for listening and for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 02:39 PM

11,554 posts, read 53,149,375 times
Perhaps you might put your concern in light of the crime rates of the cities your daughter has learned to deal with in comparison to Denver.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that she's already learned how to be careful and make prudent decisions in much tougher situations than Denver.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:53 PM

No, these would be the toughest neighborhoods she's lived in.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:58 PM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default Milk out my nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by judydelo1 View Post
18 year old daughter...knows how to use the train and bus systems in both NYC and Boston
Boston:
Murder Rate - 10.1 per 100K population
Denver:
Murder Rate - 5.6
NYC:
Murder Rate - 6.3

Surf to http://www.denvergov.org/police/Poli...0/Default.aspx to get 2012 crime stats by neighborhood.
Please note that most (70%+) crime in Denver is property crime.
A huge amount of the personal crime is simple assault (which means boys whacking boys at 0100 in the morning outside bars).

Last edited by davebarnes; 04-08-2013 at 03:15 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 03:17 PM

I am talking about specific neighborhoods. She hasn't lived in a high crime rate neighborhood before. These are high violent crime neighborhoods from what I can tell.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:25 PM

11,554 posts, read 53,149,375 times
Quote:
I am talking about specific neighborhoods. She hasn't lived in a high crime rate neighborhood before. These are high violent crime neighborhoods from what I can tell.
I suppose that you can find trouble in these locations if you want to do so.

A little common sense says not to hang out around the bars, especially in the late evening/early AM.

Having lived (a few years ago) in that Lincoln/Colfax area of Denver, it wasn't a problem then, and I don't believe that the area has changed that much.

As well, the arts area has recently undergone much rebuilding; ie, newer high rise housing, some of the most expensive prices/psf to be found in the Denver downtown area.

I'm not clear if you understand how close these areas are to each other and the way Denver "neighborhoods" are delineated. There's not much separation between much of the cored Denver downtown/business/commercial/residential blocks/streets.

Perhaps you would be best served by coming to visit Denver to assess the situation for yourself, or your daughter's behalf? Surely you didn't send her off at age 14 to those other big cities by herself, did you?

Old 04-08-2013, 03:37 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,233 times
Well, unlike NYC, in Denver she can carry a CCW.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:15 PM

Default Yes, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Well, unlike NYC, in Denver she can carry a CCW.
what happens if she needs that 11th bullet? Would you feel safe in Capitol Hill with only 10 rounds in your magazine?

Old 04-08-2013, 04:20 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
what happens if she needs that 11th bullet? Would you feel safe in Capitol Hill with only 10 rounds in your magazine?
It's ten rounds now? Just last week it was fifteen. Wow, congress sure can act fast these days

All kidding aside, neither Cap Hill or Lincoln Park is very dangerous. Most of the streets are crowded enough that an assailant would be crazy to attack someone in plain view.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:28 PM

Default Look at the data or not as the case may be

Quote:
The neighborhood with the highest per capita murder rate last year in Denver was: Belcaro.
Belcaro is one the top 5 highest-priced neighborhoods.
Belcaro is considered very fancy.
Statistics do not mean everything even when 5 people are brutally murdered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver