Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:59 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cand1781 View Post
Hi All!

My husband, son (3) and I were relocated from NJ to Pleasanton, CA 8 months ago. Now there is a chance we may be relocated again...to Littleton, CO...and now with our 3 month old daughter.

When we first moved, we were going in blind. We knew very little about CA and what it had to offer, and quite frankly, it didn't matter, because we were leaving all of our family back east. Now, I feel more settled, more comfortable, and fear the unknown of Colorado.

I have been reading all of the threads regarding Highlands Ranch, Castle Rock, and Parker. From what I have read, the area doesn't seem to be very culturally diverse...something I would prefer, especially since we are a bi-racial couple. However, if people are open-minded, I would have to look past the issue.

More importantly, I want to be somewhere that's great for kids..which I have read is true of the area. My son always wants to be outside and longs to play with other children... so I would want to live where there are a lot of neighborhood kids. Also, we have always lived near park/playground within walking distance...which would be a must.

I think we would focus on HR and CR, but my questions I pose to you....

With all of these things in mind, if you had to do it again, would you leave CA? What are the benefits of CO in terms of lifestyle change? Are these areas as "boring" as some make it seem?

Our current town is very diverse, very family friendly, and offers tons to do for the children. I could use any advise to ease my mind.
I am glad I have been away from OC and CA in general for 9 years. I live in Parker with my wife, we are both white if it matters, and no kids. You may get a look now and then but people are educated and sophisticated in Parker, CR, and HR. The closer you get to downtown the more diversity there is. CR is real bad for commuting to downtown only I25 to get there and one accident on a snow day, like today, and you are screwed.

I have thought about moving back to OC as all my family is there. It's been a bit hard to make new friends here I am not religious and don't have kids which most in my area are both.

All of the 3 cities are very similar HR may have slightly wealthier folks living there. But basically a 3 are white collar, mid to upper class neighborhoods we very little crime.

If you want more excitement and diversity go downtown or to Boulder a 3 are bedrooms communities with mostly yuppie types and some ranchers/country types esp. Parker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 01:45 PM

23 posts, read 44,500 times
when you say "downtown", are you referring to Denver?

Old 04-09-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cand1781 View Post
when you say "downtown", are you referring to Denver?
Yes.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:51 PM

403 posts, read 759,407 times
When you ask if these areas are "boring" what do you really mean? For the most part, Littleton, HR and CR are subdivision after subdivision of box builder houses where every third or fourth house looks identical. The strip malls and chain restaurants are the same in each area. If that's what you mean, then I would classify it as boring. It feels very suburban.

I moved here with my husband and kids from Staten Island, NY and didn't want to live that lifestyle anymore. I know live 20-25 minutes away from most parts of Littleton in the foothills on 6 acres and my kids have too many friends to keep count of. Of course, for the most part, they get driven by me to their friends houses...most don't live within walking distance. But, as they get older, biking a half mile is an option.

There's very few chain restaurants in Conifer and Evergreen and the quality of life with kids here is awesome. I wanted my boys to grow up in a place where they felt it was OK to be different and be a leader, not a follower. Where every house looks different than the next and where people think for themselves. A place where they can play outside and I wouldn't have to worry about cars speeding down the street. They use their imaginations everyday here, building tree houses, forts, jumps for their bikes, etc. They skate on the pond and play ice hockey in the winter in our backyard. There's people of all economic make-ups.

Yet, it is just up the hill from Littleton.

Good Luck with your potential move.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:00 PM

Evergreen and Conifer are much more beautiful that any place the OP is considering........and they are very difficult to get to and from on a snow day like today. One former co-worker lived in EG took him 90 minutes to get to DTC on snow day and 2 hours for our receptionist living in Conifer due to the idiots speeding down 285 and crashing.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:22 PM

403 posts, read 759,407 times
If the OP is working in the Ken Caryl area, and lived off 285, there would be at most a 40 minute commute on the worst snow day. I traveled 285 today from Wadsworth and 285 up to Aspen Park into south Evergreen where I live. It maybe took me 5-8 minutes longer than a normal day due to the snow.

Remember, the OP is looking into commuting from Castle Rock to Ken Caryl. I noticed you didn't comment on that. Conifer was a suggestion. And yes, from North Evergreen to DTC would be a tough commute. I would never suggest that. The OP is looking at working in Ken Caryl. It takes me 20 minutes to get from C-470 and Kipling to my front door. That is hardly an insane commute.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:23 PM

all-I missed KC my bad.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:46 PM

139 posts, read 300,580 times
Just moved here from California also. Most of the areas are so good that with good judgement you will most likely find a place you like. I reserved our apt. on the internet and love the area. People are open-minded in terms of race but if you have the "everybody is looking at me weird" attitude then it can be an uncomfortable experience. I say that as an African-American male and having family visit that are used to only being around other blacks or hispanics.
From what I hear most areas are kid-friendly but from experience I can say the Bradburn community is great. Locals told about the commute to my job in south Denver but coming from L.A. this is nothing and well worth being here.
I'm just mad I didn't go to college out here.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:49 PM

139 posts, read 300,580 times
Plus your husband may be like me and love the fact that taxes are much lower

Old 04-09-2013, 07:55 PM

23 posts, read 44,500 times
Thanks everyone for your responses!

When i said boring, i was using someone else's description and was curious what others would say. I think the area sounds great and we are talking about taking a trip out next month to get a feel for the area.

As for fear of being judged...I actually don't, nor have i ever felt that way but i find that certain people are more sensiive than others, so i needed clarification from what i have read elsewhere. more of "should i feel that way" type of thimg.

Sprint100---whatabout cost of living? I cant believe how crazy expensive it is here in ca compared to nj! Im sure CO will be even bEtter than back east :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver