Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 06:57 AM

387 posts, read 636,695 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating to the Denver area this spring/summer, and have a few questions. I'm hoping someone can help me a bit with this. I currently live in the Triangle area of North Carolina, so I'm already familiar with the number one issue most people bring up when someone mentions relocation to a quickly-growing area...I won't be moving without a job already lined up. That won't be an issue. As a matter of fact, I have an interview this afternoon, and am very hopeful. I've also done a lot of research on the greater Denver area, and want to provide you with good info to answer my questions, so this is kind of long.

The job will be in Lakewood, on Kipling (Department of Agriculture area). I'm trying to find a good place to live. I would like to find a rental unit, 2 BR, in the 1500-2000 range. Yes, I know that's a big range, but I'm hoping casting a wider net will yield more results. I'd like commutes to be kept to 30 minutes or less, and would be thrilled to be able to take the light rail.

I would be moving with my HS aged daughter, and I'm a single mom, so safety is very important, as are good high schools. Home, townhouse or apartment are all fine, with one caveat. Daughter plays the double bass, so if it's an apartment, we'd need either a ground floor, or an elevator. That thing is a BEAR to get up and down stairs. We like to hike and flat-water kayak (we don't have much whitewater around here, so no idea even how to do that!) for outdoor activities. We also love used bookstores, good coffee shops, and weekend farmer's markets. We're also big music fans; we attend the symphony here 3-4 times a year (since the daughter plays classical music, she's ALWAYS wanting to go to the symphony/chamber concerts so she can expand her own knowledge as well as enjoy). Bluegrass, newgrass and rockabilly are also greatly enjoyed. One of our favorite ways to spend a Saturday morning is to go to a local farmer's market, buy some veggies/meats/cheeses for the week, buy some tasty looking pastry from a market vendor, and buy a couple of lattes, and sit at the market, listening to whatever local musician they have playing.

Based on this, I've been looking at Littleton, specifically at the old downtown area, or at least either Littleton High or Heritage High areas. Both schools seem to have solid academics and good music programs. It seems to match quite a bit of what I'm looking for, looks like a good walking community, and is on the light rail. I've lived in historic downtown districts before, and love the energy they have, along with generally having many locally-owned businesses, which I like to support.

So, does this seem a good match, and should I continue focusing my home search in that area? Are there other areas I'm missing? If you have any recommendations for different areas, apartment complexes, neighborhoods that match what I'm looking for, I'd really appreciate the suggestions! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 08:43 AM

17,692 posts, read 29,691,842 times
You are done selecting location.
Now, you just have to find a rental. Have fun with Padmapper.com

Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 AM

26,167 posts, read 48,881,878 times
@ ALStafford: Sounds like you're a good 90% done with the searching, a rarity of sorts and we thank you for doing all that research (on here or elsewhere).

Padmapper.com is a good way to find rentals as it pulls from many data sources. The Denver Metro Area (DMA) rental market is very tight with rising prices. You almost have to be here to succeed at finding a place as the good ones go quickly. If padmapper.com gives you a posting from craigslist you must read and heed the warnings on CL about scammers as they are busy on that site with "too good to be true" postings and tales of being out of the country on missionary work so send me your personal info and .....

I've no doubt you will succeed, but you'll have to persevere a bit more with searching for a place....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:30 PM

47 posts, read 92,838 times
I would stay in the Littleton area; sounds like Old Littleton fits your criteria. On the subject of music, the Colorado Symphony Orchestra is great, as well as performances at the Newman Center (DU), Denver Philharmonic, and the many festivals that occur around the state all year. You should make it a point to head up to Apen for a week of the Aspen Music Festival in the summer. Great music surrounded by nature. :-)

Old 04-19-2013, 06:33 AM

387 posts, read 636,695 times
Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate it and it's nice to know I've been on the right track.

@Mike, I've been somewhat active on the Triangle, NC city-data board, so I certainly know the "I'm moving to your area, where should I live?" questions with absolutely no other info. I did lots of looking before asking, because I know how frustrating that can be for folks trying to help. That's why I was surprised davebarnes didn't suggest looking into D'Evelyn for school ! As I find out for sure about the position (I think the interview went well, but you just never know), I'll be here more often asking all kinds of questions; y'all will probably get tired of me (and tired of reading y'all from this southern girl ).

@Ageinco, it looks like you're familiar with the local classical music scene, are you aware of any audition-only youth orchestra programs? Daughter is currently a member of the Triangle Youth Orchestra, which is comprised of classical musicians (strings, winds, and percussion) from throughout the Triangle region of NC. You have to audition and be selected; auditions are in late summer, right before school starts, and rehearsals and performances go through mid-May. Is there anything like that in the Denver area?

Also, one general question, to y'all refer to the whole area as "Denver" or "the greater Denver area" or "Denver + 'burbs"? I've been going back and forth and was just wondering. Since I'm so used to being able to use one phrase as a catch-all for an area (the Triangle means 3 counties, parts of 2-5 others immediately surrounding, 3 cities, and a plethora of commuter communities), I wasn't sure if there was a similar term for the whole Denver area .

Old 04-19-2013, 07:09 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALStafford View Post
Also, one general question, to y'all refer to the whole area as "Denver" or "the greater Denver area" or "Denver + 'burbs"? I've been going back and forth and was just wondering.
Yes and yes to the first two.

However, as an in-city snob, I like to think of "Denver" to simply mean the city/county of Denver, but people generally refer to the whole area as such unless they are talking about a specific section of it.

For my liking, your chosen location is a bit further than it needs to be, but it is completely doable. I wouldn't completely rule out Arvada, Lakewood, Golden, et al, however.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:16 AM

17,692 posts, read 29,691,842 times
Default As a general rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALStafford View Post
Also, one general question, to y'all refer to the whole area as "Denver" or "the greater Denver area" or "Denver + 'burbs"?
1. We don't say "y'all".
2. 99% of the populace will say "Denver" and mean "Denver+..."
3. However, there is an exception and that is when someone who lives outside of the City & County of Denver and says: "I am going up/down to Denver" and then they typically mean "downtown Denver".

Old 04-19-2013, 08:30 AM

47 posts, read 92,838 times
I am familiar with only two: the Denver Young Artists Orchestra, and the Colorado Youth Orchestra. I'm sure there are other local youth orchestras in some of the surrounding areas. I know Colorado Springs has a couple as well.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:02 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,117,953 times
In the Boulder area there's Greater Boulder Youth Orchestras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver