Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 10:18 AM

24 posts, read 35,538 times

Advertisements

My husband is a senior software engineer for DOD. We have 2 boys, 4yrs. & 6 mos. and I am a stay home Mom. We are from and live in Northern MD. We lived in Northern VA. for 3 yrs. when we decided it was too expensive and crowded. We moved back to Northern MD a couple years ago to be closer to family and cheaper cost of living. While I love being close to family I think we made a mistake. I want my boys to grow up in a better area. Our town isn't that bad but since living in NOVA we realize there is more out there to offer our family. We have family in Highlands Ranch as well as friends in Parker and Colorado Springs. All love Colorado and have great things to say.

A few questions to help in our decision to move.

Since my husband is in DOD work would it make more sense to work & live in Colorado Springs or is this line of work available in the Denver area? From what I have read on this forum I think I would prefer the Denver area.

Does anyone have an approx. salary for senior software engineer with top secret clearance? Home prices seem close to our area and I want to see if we would be able to afford same lifestyle.

Thanks for any information you can provide. I hope to visit the area soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 11:08 AM

26,116 posts, read 48,726,501 times
I'd say that COLO SPGS is the larger area of employment, especially if he has a clearance, and if he has a clearance he's way ahead of those who don't.

Denver has a lot of IT work too, some aerospace, some government and a lot of commercial. Boulder has it's share of IT work, though the city itself is pricey but nearby towns are much more affordable.

Either city would be fine for your family.

Do lots of research on here regarding what issues matter to you, we've many threads and just about every topic has been covered in the past 7 years. Our advanced search is worth learning, only takes a minute if you're at least modestly good with google.

If he can nail down a job in any of these areas we can guide you to excellent living choices in any area.

FWIW: My wife of 39 years is a NOVA native, I'm from Baltimore, know that entire area well. When I think of DoD in Northern MD, to me that says APG, MD.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:20 AM

Yes APG. My family is from Baltimore but moved north years ago. My father grew up in Fells Point. Thank you for the information. So do you miss steamed crabs? I think other then family that will be something I will miss...

Old 04-19-2013, 11:27 AM

369 posts, read 962,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM2002 View Post
My husband is a senior software engineer for DOD. We have 2 boys, 4yrs. & 6 mos. and I am a stay home Mom. We are from and live in Northern MD. We lived in Northern VA. for 3 yrs. when we decided it was too expensive and crowded. We moved back to Northern MD a couple years ago to be closer to family and cheaper cost of living. While I love being close to family I think we made a mistake. I want my boys to grow up in a better area. Our town isn't that bad but since living in NOVA we realize there is more out there to offer our family. We have family in Highlands Ranch as well as friends in Parker and Colorado Springs. All love Colorado and have great things to say.

A few questions to help in our decision to move.

Since my husband is in DOD work would it make more sense to work & live in Colorado Springs or is this line of work available in the Denver area? From what I have read on this forum I think I would prefer the Denver area.

Does anyone have an approx. salary for senior software engineer with top secret clearance? Home prices seem close to our area and I want to see if we would be able to afford same lifestyle.

Thanks for any information you can provide. I hope to visit the area soon.
I've been in the software engineering (not IT, actual software companies) world here in Denver since the late 90s, but it's been all commercial, not DoD. So I don't have firsthand experience with DoD stuff, but have heard from friends and co-workers about it.

From what I know, a lot of the DOD software stuff is generally in the southern part of the area. Lockheed has a facility in Deer Creek/Waterton Canyon areas with other offices around town. Buckley AFB has missile and satellite ops, so there's work there too. And then there are a bunch of related companies around too, like RT Logic. However, Ball Aerospace is in the north part of the area, so it's not completely isolated to the south. And none of it compares to the market in the Springs, it's all DoD down there. With the federal cuts, however, I've heard the jobs in the DoD world are harder to find. I know two engineers who just moved to Denver from the Springs because the market down there is getting bad, but they also wanted out of the area as well (it's kind of small population-wise and the miliary presence looms large over everything).

Salaries are all over the map, but a senior engineer can range from $100K-$130K, depending on experience, skillset, personality, etc. I think the salaries are lower in the Springs, because the cost of living is higher in Denver.

In terms of non DoD software work, there is a big shortage of engineers in Denver/Boulder at the moment. Most every hiring manager I know has open reqs and is having a hard time filling them. There's a ton of companies around, here are some links to get a view of the scene:

http://www.builtindenver.com

http://www.startupcolorado.com

http://www.feld.com/wp/

http://www.denverjug.org

Old 04-19-2013, 11:54 AM

26,116 posts, read 48,726,501 times
Quote:
Yes APG. My family is from Baltimore but moved north years ago. My father grew up in Fells Point. Thank you for the information. So do you miss steamed crabs? I think other then family that will be something I will miss...
I miss picking crabs, but I really miss the crabcakes at Snyder's in Linthicum, which is not far from BWI and worth a stop on your way to the airport.

You're gonna love Colorado!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:17 PM

17,670 posts, read 29,561,379 times
Default Spooks

Quote:
Since my husband is in DOD work
The second largest NSA facility in the world is in Aurora, CO.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:28 PM

11,815 posts, read 34,276,866 times
Crabs can be found at Merle's in downtown Littleton over Memorial Day weekend. Merle's Restaurant

Old 04-20-2013, 03:36 PM

Thank you for the information. I think the next step is to visit to make sure this is the place for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver