U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 AM

3,389 posts, read 4,773,404 times

Advertisements

I am a little sketchy about the winters, but the summers, to me, are totally awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 11:27 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,818,955 times
As soon as my clothes arrive, I'm going out and enjoying an outdoor cafe meal in this cold weather asap!!!

Old 04-26-2013, 11:38 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,842,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
People DO golf in Denver throughout the winter on the warm days.
Must be fun looking for the gulf ball in 12 inches of snow.

Quote:
And restaurants with outdoor areas DO use them in winter on warm day. Certainly not all the time, but there are warm days when it happens.
The max temperature in January in Denver is generally in the mid 60s at best. Windchill would make it lower. That is not the type of weather that most people would want to eat outdoors in. Unless they have a heated outdoor area, and I never saw one of these in Denver. I also never recall seeing anyone eating at an outdoor area in winter in Denver. Spring and Fall maybe, but even that is extremely rare I think.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:12 PM

13,947 posts, read 20,196,196 times
Default What?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I also never recall seeing anyone eating at an outdoor area in winter in Denver. Spring and Fall maybe, but even that is extremely rare I think.
You are woefully off the mark with this comment.
There are lots of heated patios at Denver restaurants.
Sunday's predicted high is 22C. Plenty warm enough to eat outside.
We ate on a non-heated patio on a Saturday (13APR2013) when the high for the day was 20C.

http://www.westword.com/slideshow/de...tios-36816317/
http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociet...tio_weathe.php
http://www.westword.com/search/resul...tios/type:all/

Last edited by davebarnes; 04-26-2013 at 12:51 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 12:29 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
Quote:
Must be fun looking for the gulf ball in 12 inches of snow.

The max temperature in January in Denver is generally in the mid 60s at best. Windchill would make it lower. That is not the type of weather that most people would want to eat outdoors in. Unless they have a heated outdoor area, and I never saw one of these in Denver. I also never recall seeing anyone eating at an outdoor area in winter in Denver. Spring and Fall maybe, but even that is extremely rare I think.
You're ridiculous lol! Once again, you come here to make it sound like there's a foot of snow on the ground in Denver 6 months out of the year. I drive by two golf courses on my commute and have seen people golfing every mont of winter... even within the past few weeks with all the snow. I ate brunch last Sunday outside at a cafe and while it was only in the low 60s, the strong sun and lack of wind made it almost too warm.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:34 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,842,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You are woefully off the mark with this comment.
There are lots of heated patios at Denver restaurants.
Sunday's predicted high is 22C. Plenty warm enough to eat outside.
We ate on a non-heated patio on a Saturday (13APR2013) when the high for the day was 20C.

Denver's ten best restaurant patios - Denver - Slideshows
Denver's five best patios to celebrate the arrival of spring (despite the snow) - Denver - Restaurants and Dining - Cafe Society
Denver Results
OK, thanks, I stand corrected. If you have enough energy and can push enough hot air, you could eat outdoors in Fairbanks, Alaska in the middle of January. I wouldn't recommend it, but it could be done. By the way that Westword article was published last may. I did say spring and fall, maybe. I seriously doubt that any of those patios are open in January.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 04-26-2013 at 02:43 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 04:37 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Quote:
OK, thanks, I stand corrected. If you have enough energy and can push enough hot air, you could eat outdoors in Fairbanks, Alaska in the middle of January. I wouldn't recommend it, but it could be done. By the way that Westword article was published last may. I did say spring and fall, maybe. I seriously doubt that any of those patios are open in January.
If you were to be believed, Denver and Fairbanks are essentially the same.

Enjoy your earthquakes, traffic (top five worst cities in the country) and lack of seasons. You live in California and you're not near the beach or the mountains. It's not even close to the best city in the state. I'm done feeding the troll.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:29 PM

139 posts, read 249,869 times
Quote:
Obviously you just look at numbers and think 60 degrees here is like 60 degrees in CA.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 AM

22,715 posts, read 16,180,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoonik View Post
I just want some leaves on the trees and for it to green up a bit more by this point in the year. Travel down to Dallas or Atlanta today and it's been glorious green spring for more than a month. Denver, still as brown as February (at least for a couple more weeks). If winter (and snow) ended two months earlier, this climate would be perfect.
My feelings exactly.

Once spring arrives, I want it to be spring. This constant warm-cold-warm-cold is so frustrating. So there may not be a foot of snow on the ground, the mere fact that there could be snow on the ground in April or May, as is expected May 1st (!) is just rude.

Be that as it may, better the snow than inescapable humidity.

As for the rest, some people never adjust to the elevation, some do just fine within a month or so.
As others have noted, you have to stay hydrated here and use a higher SPF than you would otherwise.
And moisturize. Lots.
If the snow isn't a deal-breaker, it is a nice place to live.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
My feelings exactly.

Once spring arrives, I want it to be spring. This constant warm-cold-warm-cold is so frustrating. So there may not be a foot of snow on the ground, the mere fact that there could be snow on the ground in April or May, as is expected May 1st (!) is just rude.

Be that as it may, better the snow than inescapable humidity.

As for the rest, some people never adjust to the elevation, some do just fine within a month or so.
As others have noted, you have to stay hydrated here and use a higher SPF than you would otherwise.
And moisturize. Lots.
If the snow isn't a deal-breaker, it is a nice place to live.
I can deal with snow and cold in winter months, but yes, this back and forth crap gets to me every April. I've never lived in a climate as crazy as Denver. 80 today, more snow on the way tomorrow. HOPEFULLY this will be it. I expect cold rain this time of year, but if it would stay above freezing, the trees could green up. Well, some of them have started to get leaves and the grass is very green at least. It felt like summer when I mowed my lawn yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver