U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 PM

86,878 posts, read 102,269,915 times

Advertisements

My oft-repeated advice: Do not ever move into a house in one district assuming you can OE into another. As davidv says, there are schools that are closed to OE due to being at capacity; also, districts can set up preferences, and one preference in my district is that in-district students have priority over out-of-district students, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 07:24 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,881,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoCO View Post
We live near Kipling and Ken Caryl. I absolutely love it over here because I feel like we are almost in the mountains, super close to open space areas, yet we are very close to all of the businesses, shopping, etc. that I like. There is also a really great ice rink and newer Rec center very close by. Tons of activities for my kids--they play baseball and are starting swim team. It only takes my husband 20 minutes to DTC and about 25 minutes back but he has always been an early riser so he goes to work way before 7 am...usually leaves around 6:15 am and comes home by 3:30. I think if you have to drive during more of the prime time hours the commute would be way worse. We moved from an area with horrendous traffic and he was used to a 45 minute or more bumper to bumper commute so he thinks this is wonderful!
Either your husband is not going all the way to I-25 and Belleview, or he is really speeding.

In 15 years of commuting from Kipling and Chatfield to the DTC, I have never made it in less than 23 minutes (and I used to leave at 5:40 am). Besides, the drive home is always worse. Most days it takes 35-40 if I leave at 3:30 - 4:00 pm and longer if I leave after 4 pm. Fridays are the worst commute home. It often takes 45+ minutes to get home.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:59 PM

98 posts, read 619,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Either your husband is not going all the way to I-25 and Belleview, or he is really speeding.

In 15 years of commuting from Kipling and Chatfield to the DTC, I have never made it in less than 23 minutes (and I used to leave at 5:40 am). Besides, the drive home is always worse. Most days it takes 35-40 if I leave at 3:30 - 4:00 pm and longer if I leave after 4 pm. Fridays are the worst commute home. It often takes 45+ minutes to get home.

He doesn't go all the way to Belleview--he is South of Orchard and we are very close to Kipling. Also, he leaves before 3:30 but most people don't have that flexibility with when they can leave work. If he leaves closer to 3:45 it takes about 15 mintues longer to get home or in bad weather it is definitely longer.

If someone wants a 5 minute commute to the tech center this definitely isn't the commute for them. We just felt we could not find the size house we needed for our larger family closer in to the tech center within our price range so we looked outside the box. It is very competitive and the inventory is very low on anything under $500K in that area. However, I do agree with several posters here--great area and Cherry Creek schools are really good.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 PM

9 posts, read 16,452 times
Thanks for all the responses! We just got back from checking out the area this weekend. I did not know about the ice rink mentioned by Dreaming of Hawaii so we went and checked it out and the kids skated there. Our house needs are simple (well somewhat) Age of house does not matter to me as long as it is a good house with good bones. If it needs updating I would like to have it in our budget to do but I do love the older style of houses over the modern. The budget we have set for ourselves is around 300-400 I would like 4 bedrooms so that we can have a spare room for guests. I would of course like to find what I am looking for under our budget but I know that is highly unlikely. LOL

One thing that is hard for me to adjust to is just how close all the houses are. Some neighborhoods are just too “tight” for me to feel comfortable. Again this is something I will just have to adjust to but I we did find neighborhoods that felt much better. Around the area of Clarkson and Nicholas and Marion the houses seem to have more spacing. Another area that we loved was Normandy Estates in Columbine. If you are familiar with these areas do you know of other neighborhoods similar to these?

I agree the schools in this area are great and most would be perfect for us. We have gotten both boys accepted into schools in JeffCo as they let us register our son for the G&T program before we move. This was before DH accepted a job in DTC. Littleton, Cherry Creek, and Douglas told us we had to wait until we moved to Col. Littleton basically said to make sure to move into the boundaries of the school we wanted to attend. This has also been seconded by some of you. I did not realize that there were some schools that “choicing” into would not be an option. That is good to know. I really want to avoid the kids going to one school this year and trying to transfer them next year. While out there this week we toured the schools the boys have gotten into and I really liked them both but I am still open to other schools.

Jheaa_bs – I would love to talk to you about your thoughts on the different hockey teams in the area. Here in KC we have 6 teams and they each have their own “personality” or attract the same types of people. I want to avoid teams where the coaches/parents that are yelling and screaming at the 4-8 year olds as they play. (I think cheering is different than yelling) DH has been talking to the coach at Littleton and the Foothills and our perception is that they both seem very nice. We did stop by this weekend for a tournament at the Ice Rink to see the coaching style of the coach of the thunderbirds and I really liked his coaching style. We saw a 04 team Krivo and though the kids looked/played great the coach was way too intense for us and I am uncertain how my kids would respond to coaches like this. When skating at the Family Sports center I saw that there is another team there. What other teams am I missing?

Again thanks to everyone who provided feedback!

Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 PM

86,878 posts, read 102,269,915 times
^^Thanks for the feedback! Many times, posters go out of their way to help someone, and we never hear from them again. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver