Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,967,059 times

Advertisements

I've been critical of Union Station Alliance's plans to turn Union Station into a yuppie hotel, since the beginning. Anyone who would come up with such a horrid plan for a historic train station, does not have the best interest of the building at heart. Looks like I was right. Here is their first broken promise. There will be many more.

Quote:
Union Station developers give beloved model train layout the boot
By Patricia Calhoun Tue., Apr. 23 2013 at 12:01 PM

The beloved model-train layouts in the basement of Union Station have reached the end of the line. Back when two developers were competing for the contract to redevelop the facility, both promised there would always be a spot for the model trains -- and the clubs that ran them. And when those rail buffs held one last public open house in November 2011 before shrouding their layouts until the redevelopment was done, they had no doubt that their trains would be back on track in 2014. But now that plan has been derailed.

Union Station Alliance, the outfit chosen by the RTD board to redevelop Union Station, has determined that both train layouts must go.
Union Station developers give beloved model train layout the boot - Denver - News - The Latest Word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 09:49 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,441,320 times
What was your plan for Union Station? It's a shame you moved to sunny California. This place is falling apart without you here. I really wish you would move back soon. Sorry our weather sucks.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 04-25-2013 at 10:07 AM..

Old 04-25-2013, 10:44 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,091,768 times
I thought yuppies stayed in the '80s?

Old 04-25-2013, 12:04 PM

86 posts, read 126,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Oh no, they are alive and well and invading a trendy area near you soon.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
What was your plan for Union Station?
I have already posted it before, but here goes again.

I would have used the station just as it was. Spent a few million to clean and repair it. The Amtrak ticket window would have stayed right where it was. I would have used the existing rail platforms and the historic tunnels for access from the train platforms into the station. They were in great condition. RTD had just completely renovated them when they bought Union Station. One platform for Amtrak, one platform for the Airport line, one platform for the Gold line, and there would have still been a couple of extra tracks for future lines. I'd have put the RTD customer service window, right next to Amtrak.

Then I would have built a combination underground bus and light rail station under the parking lot on the south side of the station, at the 16th St. Mall and Wynkoop St. with a Mall Shuttle turn around loop above it. That way transit riders could have made easy transfers between light rail, regional busses, mall shuttles, all right there at the intersection of 16th and Wynkoop. Or they could walked the up stairs and into Union Station to catch Amtrak or the commuter trains.

Not only would that have been more convenient for transit riders, but it would have saved RTD a ton of money by not having to build all the extra infrastructure. Plus with all the pedestrian traffic concentrated in the historical station, I expect that it would have been easy for RTD to lease out space for retail. The way they have it now, I think its going to be pretty hard for them to lease it.

Oh, and I would have left the model trains in the basement.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Nope they are alive and well, and they hate model trains. As a matter of fact they hate anything that doesn't make them money.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Nope they are alive and well, and they hate model trains. As a matter of fact they hate anything that doesn't make them money.
I live in Stapleton, so maybe I'm one of them But I had a huge model train set as a kid... loved playing with that thing!

I really have no opinion on Union Station. They're saving the nice old building, and I'm fine with a boutique hotel. I'll probably never step foot in any of it until the rail line to the airport is up and running since I'll then be able to take the train to Union Station. It'll be interesting to see how all the surrounding development turns out.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I live in Stapleton, so maybe I'm one of them But I had a huge model train set as a kid... loved playing with that thing!

I really have no opinion on Union Station. They're saving the nice old building, and I'm fine with a boutique hotel. I'll probably never step foot in any of it until the rail line to the airport is up and running since I'll then be able to take the train to Union Station. It'll be interesting to see how all the surrounding development turns out.
The problem is that the old building didn't need to be saved. It was working just fine the way it was. All it needed was a little bit of fixing up.

Now that the developers have already broken their first promise, by kicking the model railroads out of the basement. What promise will they break next? Maybe the promise to let train passengers use the Great Hall (aka the hotel lobby)? They only made that promise under duress, in a last ditch effort to save their plan, in face of public opposition.

This project is a mess.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

This project is a mess.
I think you're on your own with that opinion. You don't even live here, so what do you care if they tear it down and put in a Dollar Store? (Ok, that would **** me off lol!)

Old 04-25-2013, 04:25 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,921,516 times
From the Denver Post:
Quote:
The PV&W club complains they are being permanently kicked out, but the Midland group sees it as a necessary short-term move and fully expects to be back.
"We haven't received any notice that we're being evicted," said Hugh Blaney, president of the Midland group.
The president of the PV&W, Chris Rand, however, thinks the alliance has been slowly pushing the trains out for months.
"Every indication we have is that there's no space for us," Rand said. He said the developers have mentioned space is needed for a stairwell or mechanical room.

Read more: Model trains forced out by Union Station renovation are not certain to return - The Denver Post Model trains forced out by Union Station renovation are not certain to return - The Denver Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: