U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-30-2007, 09:06 PM

357 posts, read 778,892 times
Default Private schools preK-12 Denver Metro area

we're still searching for a community in which to buy a home (at the moment we're renting in Highlands ranch). since we can't seem to find the perfect area (ethnic/racial diversity, close commute to dh's work, good schools, decent size house lots etc), we've decided to consider private schools, at least to make it easier to find a place to live, lol.

any suggestions, recommendations for good, non-religious private schools, or episcopalian schools in the denver metro area?

I should add that I'm not just looking for the "best" in academics or focusing on test scores, but I'm looking for a variety of offerings: foreign language, art, dance, music, those things that have been taken out of most public schools because of testing. My daughter (3) appears to be a bit of a nerd, so I'm pretty sure she'll do well in most school settings. I would like a private school wiwth some attempt at diversity, however.

thanks.

Last edited by LisaCACO; 10-30-2007 at 09:23 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 04:04 AM

13,309 posts, read 28,651,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post

any suggestions, recommendations for good, non-religious private schools, or episcopalian schools in the denver metro area?

Have you checked out St. Anne's Episcopal School?

Old 10-31-2007, 07:55 AM

thanks . do you know anything about st. anne's personally?

Old 10-31-2007, 08:35 AM

13,309 posts, read 28,651,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
thanks . do you know anything about st. anne's personally?
We toured it way back when our older son was becoming kindergarten age, then we moved to the Bromwell district and did that instead. (Not sure we could have afforded St Anne's anyway.)
It looked like a wonderful place and a good education.
We have friends in Denver who have their daughter there and I am sure their younger sons will follow.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:55 AM

739 posts, read 1,995,067 times
St. Anne's is great, HUGELY competitive to get into right now, I know, we are trying for the second year. Last year they accepted 3 new kids into Prek that weren't siblings.
we just looked at St. Mary's (further south on university, in cherry hills) and I LOVED it. STrong focus on the fine arts, fabulous diversity- probably more diverse than your local public school, warm and friendly environment. It is Catholic based but they have an acceptance of all religions and have mass about 6x a year. Definitely consider that. I think it is competitive to get into as well but worth checking out. PM if you want to talk about schools more- we've done a lot of research.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:19 PM

33 posts, read 58,013 times
I've heard good stuff about Belleview (Christian, preK-12, located
in Westminster around 84th and Lowell)...I don't KNOW about it
personally exactly, but several kids from my neighborhood went
there, and they and their parents seemed okay with it...plus, it
looks like a castle (shortly after I first moved into the neighborhood,
I told my neighbors whose kids went there that it looked like
Harry Potter's school! ^_^). They have tours/fun/etc. for the
public one weekend every June. I don't know if they're too
religious for you or not, and you might not want to move
that far north anyway, but hey, someone at this board might
be interested, you never know. ^_^

I don't really know any preK-12, not-specifically-Christian schools
around here at the moment. You might try the phone book under
"Schools" in the yellow pages, and then post the names of some
schools at the City-Data boards and ask if anyone knows about
them.

If your daughter seems likely to be kind of a nerd, she would
probably be happier in the kind of school setting that you are
looking for than in "most" school settings (which I think tend
to be kind of boring for nerds, actually! ^_~).

Hmmm...I think that dj32 makes a good point about how a good
private school (St. Mary's) could be "more diverse than your local
public school"...I like that thought. ^_^

=^___^=

Old 10-31-2007, 03:34 PM

thanks guys.

we actually'd rather send our daughter to a public school but after checking out diversity stats, we just felt public schools for the most part didn't compare to a random selection of the private schools. we'd heard that from others and found it to be true, sadly.

we haven't visited any of the public schools in the area-we're just looking at numbers at the moment (diversity specifically). we haven't even made it to the curriculum issues, lol. I may try and get permission to drop in, just to compare to the private schools I'll visit.

oh and the competition to get in here can't possibly be as ugly as CA. there, the child has to be enrolled from the womb . the thinking is that if she's not enrolled in the right pre-pre K, then she won't get into Brown . well, we've got our heads sort of screwed on right, so that's not an issue. if she gets in, she gets in. if not, hey, no biggie, there are lots of other private schools. we're more interested in making her school experience a pleasant, enjoyable one. she's got the "omg, I've got to be perfect in everything I do" gene, so why put extra pressure on her, kwim? she'll do that to herself. we just want her to be someplace that lets her explore some music, art, plays, and cultural anthropology, as well as develop her social skills. a nerd without social skills is really sad ( my husband's an engineer so we see that a lot, lol).

btw, anyone know if foreign language is taught in any of the public elementary schools?

Old 10-31-2007, 08:50 PM

739 posts, read 1,995,067 times
Lisa- PM me if you want to discuss St. Mary's. I definitely think it is worth checking out. I was really impressed with well rounded education there.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:53 PM

thanks. let me do a bit of research on st. mary's and ask for some info from them . I'll be in touch.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:50 PM

291 posts, read 1,374,849 times
My wife teaches in a private school and we know the in's & out's of most of them. While the competition isn't too stiff, business is brisk and prices are rising as a result. Graland Country Day School (K-9) is at the top, and at $17,500 a year they have everything not offered in public school: PE every day, art, music, drama, foreign language, etc., and a 17-student limit in classes.

Down the list, both acedemically & in cost, is Colorado Academy, British Primary School, Foothills Academy, then all the Catholic schools. For upper grades there's Kent-Denver, Regis Jesuit, and maybe Matchbeuf. St. Mary's is good, but how religious will you accept?

Dare I say these schools also offer some diversity because they can afford it, however, the kids still have to qualify academically. The biggest benefit is discipline. If a kid misbehaves, he's out, and few parents will accept losing all those bucks...that's real incentive.

You need to move fast, enrollment for next year at some schools ends next week. There are a few high quality public schools, most in Cherry Creek (the top is the "Challenge School"), and even Denver Public Schools have a couple that rise above the others: Slavens and Bromwell, but good luck getting in those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver