Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 PM

557 posts, read 811,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
I'm not sure why you're assuming that I'd want a house so small?? That's quite an assumption of my personal finances. I'm looking for about 2500 sq ft. I already have a good bit saved up, and by next yr I should have enough for a down payment, but maybe not quite 20%, so I may want to rent another yr out there before I buy, to avoid pmi.
" and I've noticed that a mortgage payment would be MUCH less than a rental, of equivalent size/location"

Typical, or rather average, apartment sizes were given.

If talking about housing rentals, then it's moot. Of course rental houses will always be more expensive than their mortgaged counterparts at equivalent sizes and locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 08:29 PM

865 posts, read 2,431,991 times
I should've clarified. Yes, I was talking about house rentals (hence mortagage comparisons to rent). I can see what you mean re: apt sizes. That makes sense. Wish I could buy right away! I think I need to have a job out there first (show steady income), which is hard to procure from this distance, but I'm working on that...

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-30-2013 at 06:09 PM..

Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 PM

557 posts, read 811,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
JD - sorry, guess I should've clarified. Yes, I was talking about house rentals (hence mortagage comparisons to rent). I can see what you mean re: apt sizes. That makes sense. Wish I could buy right away! I think I need to have a job out there first (show steady income), which is hard to procure from this distance, but I'm working on that...
No worries. And it didn't occur to me until after that you were likely talking about houses.

Yeah, we hope to buy too . . . eventually. But we'll happily rent downtown, pay the $1200-1400 a month, and do our scouting and research for a while. No way I would feel comfortable having to make a split second decision on taking out a $400k + mortgage.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 PM

865 posts, read 2,431,991 times
If I could get into a rental for $1200-1400/mo, I'd be ecstatic to hang out renting for a while too. That's what I'm doing here in GA, in a house. But there, I'll need to be closer to $2k for something half way big enough for us (the size we're in now, which is small for us), and in a good school district. So I'm hoping on doing most of my saving while I'm still here, b/c in Denver, the rent is going to cut into my savings, esp if it takes a little while longer than I expect to find a job. What can you do? It is what it is, right?

Good luck with your rental hunt!

Old 05-02-2013, 07:10 AM

9 posts, read 10,433 times
I have to say that I rented the first apartment that I looked at. I found that it was extremely easy to locate great apartments and also my wife got the first job she applied for. So unfortunately, I have to disagree with all the posters that say how difficult it is to find employment and an apartment. Unless I am just lucky..then I will be thankful for that

Old 05-02-2013, 07:47 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I have to agree with above poster. BF was recruited from FL so he had done his research on apartments nearby his work so he wouldn't be hitting traffic or anything crazy. He rented the first place he saw. It was perfect and less than 3 miles to work. We will be renting for the year until we decide if we want to purchase a house or just stay renting. This is the cheapest we've ever paid for rent-$1700 and also owning a house once.

Although I would love to have my own house again because I'm very bob villa-ish, renting maybe the way to go without all the additional hassles etc.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
This is why I moved. Rents are ridiculous in that city right now.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:14 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default It just got worse

Colorado apartment vacancies at 4.9% | Inside Real Estate News

Quote:
The vacancy rate in Colorado apartments fell to 4.9 percent in the first quarter, down from 5.2 percent in the first quarter of 2012, according to a Colorado Division of Housing report released today.
There is more

Old 05-11-2013, 07:43 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Some new units

Quote:
The public is invited on Wednesday to attend the official grand opening of one of the most energy-efficient apartment high-rises in the nation ― the 10-story, 231-unit 2020 Lawrence in Denver’s Ballpark neighborhood.
Greenhouse, Tesla focuses at 2020 Lawrence celebration | Inside Real Estate News

Quote:
Units range in size from 475-square-foot studios to two-bedroom, two-bath apartments offering 1,152 square feet of space. Rents vary from $1,250 to $2,600. Most apartments offer some type of outdoor space and all feature European-style kitchens with quartz countertops and washers and dryers.
Rental rates are averaging $2.18 per square foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver