Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:51 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Actually those are exactly the people I am curious about. There is a definitely a group of people who don't like Denver and post in this forum. If you look at the responses so far, it is pretty clear to me that most of the most do not do partake in the things that make Denver different from other mid sized cities.
I wouldn't put too much stock into what you see here. To stand out on a posting board you have to be obnoxious. Few people with a balanced view express their opinions here. And I would still tell you 80% who want to leave just don't like snow and cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 09:54 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
And I would still tell you 80% who want to leave just don't like snow and cold.
Definitely beginning to notice this.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 PM

182 posts, read 328,061 times
Quote:
Great stuff. Love the responses.

Jeffblond needs to move to an uninhabited island where it doesn't get too hot or too cold but has his favorite bands play in a crappy venue. By the way, I see bands I don't like all the time at Red Rocks. It's fun to see live music in a great setting.

It does seem to me that most people who aren't happy aren't taking advantage of all of what Denver offers, but maybe those aren't things you like doing.
Ha Ha I completely concur! Wow, what's the point to life? I got depressed just reading that post but then again I'm a work to live person and not a live to work mindset!

You are totally right on with your second sentence about living in Colorado. I've lived in Colorado most of my life and I used to do a lot of those things on your list but as I've gotten a little older (not too old) I did them less and less to none. Which is why moving to San Diego and being near an ocean (which I would live in if I could) was appealing. With the near perfect year-round weather here we are outside all the time, walking my dog nearly 3-4 miles a day when before it was all I could do to just let him out in the yard, going to restaurants and outdoor fairs/markets and events all over town almost every weekend. We do so much more here now than we did in Denver, hard to imagine moving back anytime soon honestly.

That being said I still don't think Denver is as bad as some of the previous people said but to each their own. While the weather can be a little crazy there, most of the time the weather is good and the seasons are great. The food isn't (SF or NY) but it still has good restaurants and believe it or not SD has some serious pitfalls in the restaurant dept. If you like the outdoors, camping, hiking (list goes on) or you just like to breathe fresh mountain air it is great and beautiful. If you don't venture out though and do those things I can see why some people wouldn't get much out of living there and maybe they need to move onward!

Old 05-01-2013, 12:24 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times
Quote:
I admit that I think this is a great place to live, but I also understand that it's not for everyone. Just trying to understand the people who didn't like it here.

I have always held that people who aren't happy here don't take advantage of the things that makes Denver different from other mid/large cities.

Thank you in advance for your participation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. How many times did you go to the mountains on average in a winter?

We went twice this year, before that not once in 3 years

2. How many times a year did you go skiing or snowboarding?

See above. Parker is far from the mountains closest resort is 90 minutes.

3. How many times did you go to the mountains on average in a summer?

Haven't camped in 2 years, fires last year spoiled that, plan on 2 camping trips this year

4. How many concerts did you see at Red Rocks in an average year?

Only one 9 years ago when I moved here Gypsy Kings

5. Which outdoor sports did you try while living here? (camping and fishing can be counted in this)

Camping, fly fishing, white water rafting ( but that was when I was just a visitor tech. ) I bike and mountain bike but I did those in CA too.

6. Did you live in the city proper or in a suburb? If a suburb, which suburb? If the city, which neighborhood?

Parker

7. Did you have any favorite local restaurants/bars? If so what were they?

I don't eat out hardly at all

8. Which cities are you happier in?

I like it here, but all my family is back in CA

9. Where did you grow up?

OC, CA

10. Did you ever go to the Denver Center for Performing Arts?

No, does Grease at Buell theatre count, theatre was needing a remodel BTW

11. How many live sporting events did you attend on average every year?

None, but have been to a Bronco game

12. Were you employed and were you happy with your job?
I lost my job last June and haven't been able to find another comparable. When I moved here I took about a 20-30% pay cut from my wages in So Cal.

I would never pay the kind of money people pay in Wash Park. For that money I could move back to CA and get better weather and better pay. I moved here for a change, slower pace of life, and cheaper housing. Without cheaper housing I am gone.

I think Denver is a pretty nice city but due to job needs I am open to relocating.

Last edited by Teckeeee; 05-01-2013 at 12:34 AM..

Old 05-01-2013, 06:20 AM

4,027 posts, read 2,711,590 times
In regards to the weather....I won't lie and say I'm always pleased about the weather, but I guess it doesn't bother me much, because something I've found in all the places I've ever been/lived, there's just no such thing as 'perfect weather'. Missouri and Oklahoma can get tornados. When I lived in Germany, we got hit with an earthquake. Georiga and South Carolina would get extremely hot and muggy. Every place I've lived has had its good weather points, but they've also had their bad ones.

On that note, while I *am* ready for nicer temperatures, I am amused that it's the first of May and its snowing. (Late snow always seems to amuse me.)

Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
On that note, while I *am* ready for nicer temperatures, I am amused that it's the first of May and its snowing. (Late snow always seems to amuse me.)
I think it's nice. A colleague of mine in Phoenix experienced a 102F high yesterday. He can keep that.

I think *some* people use the cold/snow as a scapegoat for wanting to leave, like there's no other reason to want to do so.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I think it's nice. A colleague of mine in Phoenix experienced a 102F high yesterday. He can keep that.

I think *some* people use the cold/snow as a scapegoat for wanting to leave, like there's no other reason to want to do so.
We're staying in Denver most likely until our kids are done with high school. However, I hope to retire back in California. The cold/snow some years (like this one!) just wears me down and depresses me. And it would be one thing if you had a normal winter season in Denver. I could deal with cold/snow in Dec - Feb, but here, March can be warmer and nicer than April. I look outside today and no way does it feel like May. I'm confused! And having this after a weekend in the 70s/80s, windows open and wearing shorts, this is just psychotic! I'm afraid this will be one of those odd years where the trees aren't green until June, which is also very depressing. Last year at this time, the trees were green and we were several weeks past the last freeze.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:15 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
I don't understand why some people take it personally that not everyone loves Denver. It isn't for everyone. It's May 1st and it might as well be January 1st. That alone is reason enough not to like it here for me. There are really only a limited number of months in the calendar where you can be certain it won't snow. I came here because I have some friends here and I wanted to try something new. It isn't for me. It isn't anything personal. I can see why if you love winter and outdoor sports and mountains you would love it here, but I really don't. I hardly ever go to the mountains. It's expensive and I don't want to spend my weekends sitting in traffic on 70. There's a different vibe here than on the east coast, and I miss the east coast. I miss the ocean. I miss being only a few hours away from lots of other big cities. Denver is so isolated. There are tons of reasons to love Colorado, but there are plenty of VALID reasons not to love it too. Don't take it so personally not all of us find Denver a perfect utopia.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:19 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
I'm not taking it personally. I said that it is clearly not for everyone. I firmly believe that there are better cities if cities are your thing. All I was trying to figure out was if people who don't like it here are doing the things that I think make living here so great. Most are not. Their reasons for not doing these things vary.

Why would i take it personally if you don't like going to the mountains? That seems silly.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:39 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
You should have asked how many hours of TV does the person watch a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver