Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 12:08 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Nope, not a troll. I lived in Westminster, Co. for 4 years. Had my car broken into there, as an aside. Came to "The OC" for work. Being a Florida native, who was brainwashed into thinking Ca. was "the real ocean with real waves" I was totally disappointed by "The OC". The Ca. I dreamed of as a kid seems to have left in the 50's. LOL!

It's just been my experience that "compact urban" or "high density" etc. has been a pain in the rear way to live. Too many people, too close together, all causing each other strife.

So my thinking was that everyone else who ever lived in such a setting (again, excepting the truly super-expensive versions of it) would feel similarly and be trying to get out of those areas.

I'm truly shocked that people are defending "urban" and can't for the life of me fathom it.
I live in urban Denver and love it. I love having a small lot that doesn't require more than 10 minutes to mow. I love the walkability of my neighborhood, I love having so many neighbors so close to my house, I love being able to get to anyplace in central Denver in 15 min. or less. I find freedom in being able to walk places rather than driving. I wouldn't trade it for the feeling of isolation in the 'burbs and necessity of using a car to get anywhere. And you can live in urban Denver without being a millionaire too, which makes it desireable to a lot of people.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:25 PM

163 posts, read 773,809 times
Everyone that has a negative association with "urban" think about it...

Why is San Francisco so desirable? Nearly the entire city could be considered "urban". Why do so many people want to live there, as well as places like Seattle, downtown Portland, New York City, Chicago, Boston, etc. ? Why are these urban places so expensive? It's not because they are dirty, thugged out, ghetto, or whatever else you think "urban" means.

How about TV shows (silly I know....) like Seinfield and Friends. Those are very urban settings, do they look undesirable? Come on....

Now if all you know is suburban So Cal (or where ever) then I understand how you might not get it. But try and be open minded and expand your horizons a little.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:10 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Currie View Post
Everyone that has a negative association with "urban" think about it...

Why is San Francisco so desirable? Nearly the entire city could be considered "urban". Why do so many people want to live there, as well as places like Seattle, downtown Portland, New York City, Chicago, Boston, etc. ? Why are these urban places so expensive? It's not because they are dirty, thugged out, ghetto, or whatever else you think "urban" means.

How about TV shows (silly I know....) like Seinfield and Friends. Those are very urban settings, do they look undesirable? Come on....

Now if all you know is suburban So Cal (or where ever) then I understand how you might not get it. But try and be open minded and expand your horizons a little.
Also, real estate is doing better in urban Denver too. I haven't lost any money on my house - yet! Demand is still there.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:09 PM

5 posts, read 12,732 times
Unhappy Worried

Kayrom1,

I am considering moving from Souther California to HR but am a bit concerned about diversity. I am indian asian and afraid that my kids (10 and 8) may have tough time getting adjusted being of different color than most other kids here. I think, places with less diversity can have devastating affect on the self esteem of kids.

Is that avalid concern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrom1 View Post
I'm from Southern California and vowed I'd never live in a place that was covenant-controlled. I like that people can paint their houses the color they want and make their own decisions regarding their homes.

However, we had three days to find a home for ourselves and our three small children back in 1999, and we ended up in Highlands Ranch. I'll be honest -- I hated it here for about the first three years, and yes, it was because the people I encountered were snobby, rude, and never failed to let me know they hated Californians for supposedly "ruining" Colorado.

Guess what I finally figured out? All the snobby, rude people I dealt with were Colorado natives. I don't know what the deal is with natives here, but they seem to think they're the only ones entitled to live here. I actually had a next-door neighbor tell me I had no right to live here because my family hasn't been here for more than 100 years. Honest truth.

Now, nine years later, I love it here. Our nastiest neighbors have all moved away, and I have wonderful friends. My kids love their schools and their friends as well. Completely coincidentally, only one of my good friends is a native Coloradoan. (I guess she's an oddball!)

I say, come to Colorado to Highlands Ranch and enjoy what the community has to offer. You will meet some nice people, and you'll meet some crummy people. That's probably how it is just about anywhere. It may take a while to settled in, but that's probably true of anywhere, not just Highlands Ranch. Don't take unkind things people say to heart -- the best advice anyone ever gave me here was "Don't let the sharks see you bleed." Once I stopped giving a hoot about what people thought about me and where I was from, I was a much happier person.

I'll tell you the difference between Highlands Ranch snobs and other well-to-do communities (because I grew up in one) -- H.R. has a lot of people who are newly wealthy and don't know how to behave with money. Old Money, like that I was raised around, behaves with dignity and class. Many H.R. residents haven't yet perfected that behavior, but I'm sure they'll come around eventually.

Oddly enough, I would recommend H.R. I think you'd be happy here. If I can be, anyone can be. :-)

Old 07-22-2008, 01:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrindy View Post
Kayrom1,

I am considering moving from Souther California to HR but am a bit concerned about diversity. I am indian asian and afraid that my kids (10 and 8) may have tough time getting adjusted being of different color than most other kids here. I think, places with less diversity can have devastating affect on the self esteem of kids.

Is that avalid concern?
I have no idea if it really would be devastating for their self esteem, but it IS pretty white here in HR. Some people might disagree, but I came from a place with much more diversity, so that's all I have to compare to. Like anyone moving anyplace now, definitely come see for yourself first.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:39 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikistyx View Post
We are also looking at relocating from Texas. (originally from utah and colorado). Don't be concerned about the "stuck up" thing. I think people don't understand being from a place where manners are ingrained.
I lived in NC until recently and people there said this a lot too. Ironically, it is those from here who have the horrible children who behave terribly. Although they will certainly say "ma'am" and "sir."

You are incorrect to think that the South places more emphasis on manners than elsewhere. I grew up in the NE and let me tell you, we had much better manners than those in NC. We said "Mr. Smith" and shook hands and everything. Can you believe it? Probably not, b/c for some reason Southerners have a chip on their shoulder about manners.

And, as an added benefit, Northerners don't say "bless his heart" and then talk behind someone's back. Now THAT is manners.

No offense to you of course. Bless your heart.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:15 PM

38 posts, read 153,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
I lived in NC until recently and people there said this a lot too. Ironically, it is those from here who have the horrible children who behave terribly. Although they will certainly say "ma'am" and "sir."

You are incorrect to think that the South places more emphasis on manners than elsewhere. I grew up in the NE and let me tell you, we had much better manners than those in NC. We said "Mr. Smith" and shook hands and everything. Can you believe it? Probably not, b/c for some reason Southerners have a chip on their shoulder about manners.

And, as an added benefit, Northerners don't say "bless his heart" and then talk behind someone's back. Now THAT is manners.

No offense to you of course. Bless your heart.

serious pwnage

Old 07-22-2008, 08:24 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
Serious what???

Old 07-22-2008, 10:09 PM

49 posts, read 202,346 times
Dude,

You would love HR, I am mixed myself and love it here. Interestingly, I have one Indian family on my left and three behind my home. PM me if you would like more info about what part of HR I am in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrindy View Post
Kayrom1,

Is that avalid concern?

Old 07-22-2008, 10:29 PM

13 posts, read 53,052 times
I am in CA, (home of snobs..LOL). My brother (from here) and his family live in Highland Ranch. To think of my brother as a snob... LOL Or even upper class yuppie. LOL I am rollin here at the very thought. Come on now, he drives an older truck, I am guessing 1980. He owns a carpet cleaning business and hunts on his off time.
His wife is a Real Estate Agent for the area. I will admite that she is classy, But very down to earth and sweet.

I went to visit them and found the area awsome. It is beautiful, the folks are friendly. I did notice that the houses at the time weren't million dollar homes, more like $150-300,000. So what is everyone talking about? I would say whoever is saying crap, it is, what it is, crap.
I am still laughing about my brother being a snob, or yuppie. That he is not.
But he will be their if you or your family ever needs anything. Great area, Great people. I wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver