Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:39 PM

8 posts, read 13,213 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I need as much help as I can get. I just accepted a job offer and will be relocating to the Front Range pretty soon. I am not familiar with the area at all and need to make a decision fairly soon.

The job is in Aurora. I am a single female, mid 30's, no kids. Being close to the outdoors/nature is very important to me. Fairly accessible running, biking trails are a must to squeeze in a run in the morning or after work. Not very into the bar scene but I certainly enjoy dining out (prefer unique restaurants and not chain type restaurants) and do enjoy people watching.

An hour commute may be pushing it for me but I may make peace with that as long as I can get the above.

Boulder may seem out of the question as it seems to be out of budget.

Any recommendations for areas?

Any help, hints, guidance? Thanks so much in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 01:06 AM

529 posts, read 1,547,994 times
Congrats on your job in CO!

Anywhere in the Denver area is close to hiking, biking and all other outdoor activities associated with mountains.

Boulder is at least an hour commute to Aurora in no traffic, and WAY TOO OVERPRICED!!!! Plus you'd have to deal with the immature, and drunk college crowd there. (just my opinion though)

If you want to be closer to the mountains, then any west metro area suburb of Denver will work. I would recommend Lakewood, CO it is right at the base of the front range, and a commute to Aurora is only 35 minutes, and 55 at the most during rush hour. There are plenty of areas in Lakewood that have been re-built and are very nice. Perhaps any neighborhood along 6th ave. west of Denver in Lakewood will work for you. Housing costs range from 200k's and up. I personally think you will enjoy this arrangement, but definitely do research and decide for yourself. Using any search engine and typing Denver metro, Lakewood, and hiking biking trails in Denver metro will provide you with plenty of info.

Good Luck.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:57 AM

Thanks a bunch! I was looking into the Broomfield area but been told that the commute to Aurora due to the 70/25 corridor is a nightmare.

Since I don't have kids/spouse, a suburban area is not my appeal. However, a place where I can have easy access to yoga/meditation centers would be great!

Lakewood I heard is quite nice. What are your thoughts re: Broomfield?

Old 05-09-2013, 08:19 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
If your job is in Aurora you will want to live on that side of the metro area. Where in Aurora? It is a very big city. If you are at the south end then it is very different than the north end. If you are at the north end then some of the neighborhoods are sketchy depending on what you are used to.

There are trails everywhere so you don't need to filter based on that.

Denver is not a good city to be commuting across as the roads aren't really designed for the load so you will become unhappy with the time spend crawling along in your car if you elect to live across the metro area from your job.

Your budget may also limit your options. Or alternatively it could really open them up if it is high.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
I was also going to ask where in Aurora your job is located. Personally, even I my job were in Aurora, I wouldn't live there. I grew up there though and have some bias. I just feel like it's too suburban (at least where I lived in south Aurora), too far from the mountains, and too overdeveloped (but this is much of the metro area).

Broomfield, IMO, is just another suburban town to Denver and a bedroom community to Boulder. I wouldn't want to live there either. I like the western suburbs of Denver though-Golden, Lakewood, Arvada and Littleton. You might also like to live in Denver proper, as you'll be within 30 minutes of work and 30 minutes of the foothills. There are lots of urban trails and eclectic dining and shops in some of the older, established neighborhoods. There are some really neat photo threads of many of the cities in the Denver Metro area on here. Do a search for photos and you'll see them.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:52 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,492 times
Have you thought about the Stapleton area? It's within the city and county of Denver limits, but it's fairly close to Aurora so your commute would probably be tolerable. It's the area where the airport used to be until the mid '90s and it's since been redeveloped with homes, apartments, restaurants and shopping areas. It's close to downtown, but still a nice, new feel. You shouldn't have problem finding yoga in that area and there are plentiful hiking trails and City Park is close by. If you want to head to the mountains, you can jump right on I-70 and head that direction.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:06 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
It would help to know: Rent or Buy? Budget? Single Family or Multi - ie condo/apt or house? Where is work? urban or suburban feel?

Old 05-09-2013, 10:06 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default We need more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploratorian View Post
The job is in Aurora.
Cross streets or exact address would help as Aurora is huge.
Rent/buy budget?
Pets?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:09 PM

I will be working off the I-70 and Airport Blvd area. I am planning on renting for the time being as I am tie to a house that haven’t sold yet.

That being said I have a budget of around 1,200 to pay for rent once the house is sold, I may be able to afford a bit more.

Never heard of Stapleton so I will look into it! :-)

I’d be happy with a studio 1BR/1BH place. Apt/condo will be fine. Would like to stay away from a suburban area. No kids/spouse so I don’t want to be the only single person in the neighborhood if that makes sense. I don’t know a soul in Denver so I would like to be close to an area where I can meet people my age (late 20’s early 40’s) and where I can hang out in cafés during the evening. Prefer not a Starbucks

No pets – I am the only one that brings in mud from the trails.

Thank you thank you so much! Keep the information coming!! :-)

Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Skip Stapleton. All family all the time there.

If you are working right off of I-70 look downtown, Cheesman Park, Congress Park areas. Very easy to get north to the highway from any of these neighborhoods and they are so much more of what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver