Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:51 AM

6,649 posts, read 9,201,779 times

Advertisements

I wish La Salsa would re-open a location in Denver. There was apparently one in downtown Denver at one time. Obviously I wouldn't want to eat there every day, but I liked it when I lived in California. I knw we have Rubios, etc., but I miss La Salsa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 12:32 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,979,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Jack in the Box was here many years ago; all of them closed suddenly. I believe it was after the alleged reports that they were buying kangaroo meat. Whatever the reason, I liked the restaurant and I welcome their return to the Denver Market. I will just hop over to the first one that opens.
I know this is a pretty old post, but just for the record. The reason Jack in the Box closed all their stores in Colorado was when they killed four people and made hundreds more sick in four states, by serving undercooked, contaminated meat, in the largest E. coli outbreak in US history.

Sales at the Colorado locations plummeted, and they all closed within a year or so. I have no idea how this chain survived. I guess people on the West Coast, just don't care that much. I can't believe that people would actually celebrate the return of a chain like this to the Colorado market.

If you value your health, don't eat this fast food crap like this. Its just nasty. Even if it's cooked right, which it rarely is, it will still kill you eventually.

HistoryLink.org- the Free Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History

Old 03-31-2011, 01:27 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I know this is a pretty old post, but just for the record. The reason Jack in the Box closed all their stores in Colorado was when they killed four people and made hundreds more sick in four states, by serving undercooked, contaminated meat, in the largest E. coli outbreak in US history.

Sales at the Colorado locations plummeted, and they all closed within a year or so. I have no idea how this chain survived. I guess people on the West Coast, just don't care that much. I can't believe that people would actually celebrate the return of a chain like this to the Colorado market.

If you value your health, don't eat this fast food crap like this. Its just nasty. Even if it's cooked right, which it rarely is, it will still kill you eventually.

HistoryLink.org- the Free Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History
I think the last time I ate at a JITB was in the '80s, and even then, the food was disgusting and the restaurant was dirty and trashy. I read something recently on the beef in most fast food having amonia in it and all sorts of crap, similar to what surfaced about Taco Bell recently. I can't believe people eat this stuff, unless they were just raised that way and don't know what they're really eating.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think the last time I ate at a JITB was in the '80s, and even then, the food was disgusting and the restaurant was dirty and trashy. I read something recently on the beef in most fast food having amonia in it and all sorts of crap, similar to what surfaced about Taco Bell recently. I can't believe people eat this stuff, unless they were just raised that way and don't know what they're really eating.
Or maybe they believe that occasionally enjoying fast food (in moderation) is OK. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I enjoy chicken sandwiches from Jack in the Box and I also like McDonald's cheeseburgers every now and then and I'm aware of what I'm eating.

My grandparents grew up eating lard sandwiches. Three of them lived to their mid-80s and one of them is still alive at age 97. I'm not saying that unhealthy eating habits don't have consequences, but I also see nothing wrong with the occasional fast food meal.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:48 PM

26,134 posts, read 48,779,992 times
Quote:
You're talking about Ammonia Meat Filler, where all sorts of scraps and junk meat are treated with ammonia to kill E.coli so that the product can be used to add bulk to hamburger meat. The stuff is referred to as Pink Slime. I saw the movie (Food, Inc?) and the stuff looks like brown sawdust and is pressed into 50-pound blocks for shipping.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-31-2011 at 01:58 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Or maybe they believe that occasionally enjoying fast food (in moderation) is OK. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I enjoy chicken sandwiches from Jack in the Box and I also like McDonald's cheeseburgers every now and then and I'm aware of what I'm eating.

My grandparents grew up eating lard sandwiches. Three of them lived to their mid-80s and one of them is still alive at age 97. I'm not saying that unhealthy eating habits don't have consequences, but I also see nothing wrong with the occasional fast food meal.
No, occassional fast food won't kill you. When I was a kid, McDonalds was a once a month, Sat. afternoon treat. The problem is that so many people use it as their main diet, eat it every day for lunch, etc. I've met people in their 20s and 30s who don't know how to cook or prepare food, so it's all they know. Head to the nearest drive-thru.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
You're talking about Ammonia Meat Filler, where all sorts of scraps and junk meat are treated with ammonia to kill E.coli so that the product can be used to add bulk to hamburger meat. The stuff is referred to as Pink Slime. I saw the movie (Food, Inc?) and the stuff looks like brown sawdust and is pressed into 50-pound blocks for shipping.
Yes, this is what I was talking about. I wonder, if there was full disclosure of this at FF restaurants, would people still buy it? I assume that they do this to keep the prices down. If something is cheaper in 2011 than it was in 1985, you know the quality has gone way down hill.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, this is what I was talking about. I wonder, if there was full disclosure of this at FF restaurants, would people still buy it? I assume that they do this to keep the prices down. If something is cheaper in 2011 than it was in 1985, you know the quality has gone way down hill.
I guess we'll find out. FF restaurants are supposed to include calorie counts on their menus as a result of health care reform, so it's coming soon. I haven't seen anything that specifically states when this part of the law goes into effect, but I've seen random articles about individual chains incorporating the information as a result of state-level laws, like in California.

Either way, it won't change my fast food habits, but then again I'm only an occasional fast food consumer.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:01 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,979,431 times
Quote:
No, occassional fast food won't kill you. When I was a kid, McDonalds was a once a month, Sat. afternoon treat. The problem is that so many people use it as their main diet, eat it every day for lunch, etc. I've met people in their 20s and 30s who don't know how to cook or prepare food, so it's all they know. Head to the nearest drive-thru.
Actually just one time can kill you, if the food happens to contamination by E. coli bacteria. It pays to be careful where you eat.

I don't remember when I stopped eating at McDonalds. It's been so long ago. But I do remember that for a long time after I stopped, I would get the cravings for it about once or twice a year, and I'd have to pull into the drive through and pick something up. Then I'd be like, this doesn't taste as good as I remember it being. Pretty soon I got to the point, that I'd take a couple of bites, stop and think. Yuck, how did I ever eat this crap.

Once you stop eating that junk for a while, you will get to a point that you will never want to eat it again.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:40 AM

664 posts, read 2,059,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

I have a hard time holding something that happened 25 years ago against JITB. 99% of the employees and management are different. It's the same in name only. It could have happened at Burger King, McDonalds or even somewhere like Smashburger or Cherry Cricket. That's why there is always a warning about eating undercooked meat - on meat packages, at restaurants, everywhere.

Quote:
Quote:
It sounds like it is in most of the ground beef we buy at the store too. There are a lot of foods that are disgusting in how they are prepared. Ammonia in the meat? I searched for articles about ammonia in meat. They said things like 'common window cleaning agent' or 'ammonia makes up 15% of your hamburger' or 'ammonia doesn't kill all bacteria'. But none of them made any attempt to present a single fact stating that the ammonia was harmful. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but they don't care to report either way. They'd rather make sensational headlines to make money - window cleaning agent in ground beef! Sounds great, doesn't it.

This is a trend that I've noticed - preying on fear. Lead in reusable bags from China? Makes a great story but the risk is so small as to be not even worth mentioning. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver