Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 PM

81 posts, read 214,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Another thing...SLC lacks in Urban fabric, Architecture, nightlife, events, and annual visitors (compared to Denver atleast). Denver's GMP= $157,567 vs SLC's GMP= $66,456. Denver is a tier or two ahead of SLC, even if SLC does do slightly better in some aspects. Not sure if I should be suspicious that this is your first post
If you look at the entire Front Range the breakdown of races would show that there isn't much difference between the Wasatch Front and the Front Range. How diverse is a place like Dacono or Parker? Not much more than American Fork or Draper.

Addressing your point about the GMP: Again, Denver has more than 3 times the people of Salt Lake City. If you took Salt Lake's GMP and multiplied it be three, the GMP would exceed that of Denver.

The tier argument holds no weight when you're comparing cities of drastically different sizes.

Denver is a very nice city. Salt Lake City is just more advanced in many aspects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 09:40 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what??? View Post
If you look at the entire Front Range the breakdown of races would show that there isn't much difference between the Wasatch Front and the Front Range. How diverse is a place like Dacono or Parker? Not much more than American Fork or Draper.

Addressing your point about the GMP: Again, Denver has more than 3 times the people of Salt Lake City. If you took Salt Lake's GMP and multiplied it be three, the GMP would exceed that of Denver.

The tier argument holds no weight when you're comparing cities of drastically different sizes.

Denver is a very nice city. Salt Lake City is just more advanced in many aspects.
Denver's metro is 2.6 million and SLC's is 1.1 million. Denver is not 3 times the size of SLC. And if you include CSA, Denver is 3.1 million and SLC is 2.3 million. Nor is that 3 times smaller. Try again.

1.1 x 2= 2.2 million (Not far from Denver's metro)
2.3 x 2= 4.6 million (More than Denver's CSA)
Double SLC's GMP and it's still less than Denver's. If SLC's Population was increased by 2, it would still come up short in GMP. The "Denver is 3 times larger" argument is invalid!

As for diversity, Denver it clearly still more diverse.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,032 times
I've lived in both and they are both wonderful places to live.

I've read through the bickering on this thread and wish to address a few points. SLC supporters claim a closer setting to the mountains and better access to skiing. Denver supporters counter why should this be a determining factor in one being better. A very valid point, one which can be extrapolated to every point being made on this thread. Why should a larger airport be the determining factor? Why should the population be the determining factor? Access to pro sports? Access to alcohol? Of course, without this type of bickering, how would will fill all these threads? Each side pulls out one topic trying to claim victory. In reality, each place is the sum of its parts. We can state personal preferences but there is no definitive answer. It is an individual preference.

As far as population, I would like to make this point. Yes, currently the census bureau gives SLC a metro area of 1.1 million or whatever. However, until very recently, the SLC metro area was defined differently. It was the SLC-Ogden area which is around 1.75 million. In recent years, Ogden was split off into its own metro area. Also, the Provo-Orem area is very much a part of greater SLC metro. People commute back and forth to work in both directions. I know some even commute between Provo and Odgen. It is much more fair to compare the Wasatch Front as a single metro area.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post

I've read through the bickering on this thread and wish to address a few points. SLC supporters claim a closer setting to the mountains and better access to skiing. Denver supporters counter why should this be a determining factor in one being better. A very valid point, one which can be extrapolated to every point being made on this thread. Why should a larger airport be the determining factor? Why should the population be the determining factor? Access to pro sports? Access to alcohol? Of course, without this type of bickering, how would will fill all these threads? Each side pulls out one topic trying to claim victory. In reality, each place is the sum of its parts. We can state personal preferences but there is no definitive answer. It is an individual preference.

As far as population, I would like to make this point. Yes, currently the census bureau gives SLC a metro area of 1.1 million or whatever. However, until very recently, the SLC metro area was defined differently. It was the SLC-Ogden area which is around 1.75 million. In recent years, Ogden was split off into its own metro area. Also, the Provo-Orem area is very much a part of greater SLC metro. People commute back and forth to work in both directions. I know some even commute between Provo and Odgen. It is much more fair to compare the Wasatch Front as a single metro area.

Thank you. The bolded item is another way of saying these old adages: Comparisons are odious. To each his own.

I request the competitors in this thread to please stop and let it be; no one is going to convince the other and innocent readers don't give a damn to split hairs like this. No need for endless rounds of dueling statistics.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:01 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post

I can agree with most of this. I was listing a few reason why I personally like Denver better. SLC is a great place as well!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
... SLC has an absolutely atrocious winter air pollution problem that makes Denver's brown cloud look like a joke....
That's in the news today: "Sickening Fog Settles Over Salt Lake City Area" Click on the small photo, wow.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,097 times
SLC folks always claim that their mountains are closer, but never admit that the acreage of their mountain range is 1/10th of ours.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:10 AM

654 posts, read 1,910,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
SLC folks always claim that their mountains are closer, but never admit that the acreage of their mountain range is 1/10th of ours.
How does this change that they are closer? I'm not really sure what acreage of a mountain range is even. Where did you get the 1/10th figure? Do you remember?

Old 01-26-2013, 05:52 AM

264 posts, read 280,490 times
Denver rules. Salt Lake City drools. I wanted to get in on the hating! Both cities offer wonderful things, it just depends on what your priorities are. Anybody moving to either of these awesome cities is making a great move!

Old 01-26-2013, 06:45 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,853 times
Denver. Other than their light rail system, I cannot see any true positives that SLC has over Denver or Boulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver