U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2013, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO - Capitol Hill
557 posts, read 668,273 times
Reputation: 513

Advertisements

Why or why not?

In town scouting places to live before our move. My wife loves the idea of living downtown, but my possible new job will have me out of town ~50% each month. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried about it being just her and the dog for a couple of weeks every month.

Curious to get any current Denver residents' thoughts about the area, and downtown living in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-25-2013, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,238 posts, read 24,437,910 times
Reputation: 13010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
Why or why not?

In town scouting places to live before our move. My wife loves the idea of living downtown, but my possible new job will have me out of town ~50% each month. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried about it being just her and the dog for a couple of weeks every month.

Curious to get any current Denver residents' thoughts about the area, and downtown living in general.
Why?
-because you like downtown
-because the CBD is very safe in comparison to most big cities

Why not?
-because it might be more boring than you think

Unless you get a sweet deal on a place and a great view, and like urban style living, I don't really see much of a reason to live there over anywhere else. I wouldn't avoid it for safety reasons, I'm down there every night during the week, and there is generally NOTHING going on down there that would cause concern.

I personally have no desire to live in the CBD. But, I'm a guy who's fairly easily entertained, a guy who likes value, and a lot of space.
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.

Last edited by Count David; 05-26-2013 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 07:46 AM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
14,043 posts, read 20,362,290 times
Reputation: 22820
Default No way, no how

Boring

I would look at Highland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 10:49 AM
 
459 posts, read 675,145 times
Reputation: 726
Parts of downtown are fun. I live downtown am never bored and love every minute of it. However that particular location is predominately office buildings (17th/18th/19th between Market and Broadway). You are going to have to go a few blocks north, west or south just to see other people after the workers go home for the night.

Being in that location will put you within walking distance of Coors Field, the top notch restaurants in Larimer Square, other nice restaurants and bars scattered throughout downtown, and the Denver Center for the Performing arts. So it's not all bad as far as location goes just the immediate vicinity is low key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO - Capitol Hill
557 posts, read 668,273 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Why?
-because you like downtown
-because the CBD is very safe in comparison to most big cities

Why not?
-because it might be more boring than you think

Unless you get a sweet deal on a place and a great view, and like urban style living, I don't really see much of a reason to live there over anywhere else. I wouldn't avoid it for safety reasons, I'm down there every night during the week, and there is generally NOTHING going on down there that would cause concern.

I personally have no desire to live in the CBD. But, I'm a guy who's fairly easily entertained, a guy who likes value, and a lot of space.
You and I sound alike. I'm not against living downtown, but not a requirement for me. Happy wife, happy life and all that jazz. Not to say though that she's not open to other options.

We are getting a pretty decent deal, and very nice amenities and finishes, but the apartment is very small. It does have a balcony and a decent enough view though. Is also very pet friendly and has dog amenities on site which is important.

We also looked at a place in Cherry Creek across from Macy's and all of those shops. Similar price and amenities, about 100 sq ft larger though.

Wife is excited about the prospect of living downtown, wanting to do so before we start our family. See likes the idea of urban living and being within walking distance to so much. I'm leaning towards the Cherry Creek place, mainly because of the size. Still walkable and pedestrian friendly, but obviously not as high of a walk score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO - Capitol Hill
557 posts, read 668,273 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Boring

I would look at Highland.
My limited experience wouldn't suggest boring, but yes, not quite as "happening" as other downtowns i've visited. We like the in-betweeness of Denver in general in that regard.

I've seen you and other mention Highland several other times. Wife flew back today, and I'm staying for my interview on Tuesday, so I need to kill some time. May go take a drive through there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO - Capitol Hill
557 posts, read 668,273 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
Parts of downtown are fun. I live downtown am never bored and love every minute of it. However that particular location is predominately office buildings (17th/18th/19th between Market and Broadway). You are going to have to go a few blocks north, west or south just to see other people after the workers go home for the night.

Being in that location will put you within walking distance of Coors Field, the top notch restaurants in Larimer Square, other nice restaurants and bars scattered throughout downtown, and the Denver Center for the Performing arts. So it's not all bad as far as location goes just the immediate vicinity is low key.
Low key is good actually, as long as it's still safe and livable. The area seems to be a good compromise of urban, and like you said low key. Being close to activities, restaurants, and daily needs is important, but "peace and quiet" of the downtown variety is a factor too i.e. not really interested in living right next to bars, etc. That being said though, because you say the area clears relatively out after work hours, would you still consider it safe in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 12:39 PM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
14,043 posts, read 20,362,290 times
Reputation: 22820
Default Data are your friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
would you still consider it safe in general?
Yes
Surf to Crime Statistics and Maps | Denver Police Department
you want CBD

55% of the crime is from:
Larceny
Theft from motor vehicle
Drugs

I doubt those will affect you at all.
The overall numbers are quite low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 03:38 AM
 
Location: Cole neighborhood, Denver, CO
1,123 posts, read 2,459,952 times
Reputation: 1247
The problem with CBD is the parking. Many properties don't come with deeded spaces and they can cost $50k to buy, or many hundreds per month to lease. Make sure you research this if you have a car.

Personally I wouldn't live in CBD, just as I wouldn't live in the Loop in Chicago. It's just not made for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Monument,CO
352 posts, read 291,842 times
Reputation: 554
I work exactly where you're thinking of living, and no I wouldn't live here. It's boring, and there are no services here. You'd have to walk down the Coors Field area to eat/drink/be merry, and there are a lot of vagrants around here due to the Bus Station. Parking here is NOT expensive at all. It's comically cheap compared to any big city in the U.S. but the cheaper lots are in sketchy areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top