U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2013, 11:56 AM

6 posts, read 10,411 times

Advertisements

I am struggling to find a place to live in the Denver area that will work with my credit score/situation. In short, I have severe health issues and became disabled, then lost my husband to a car accident. These events made it impossible for me to maintain our home of more than 10 years and I lost it to foreclosure. I am looking for info on property managment companies and apartments that will take my situation into account when considering my credit score. I have been unable to find a place and have been living in a motel for months. Please respond if you know of any places.

I am disabled and recently widowed, which resulted in losing my home of over 10 years to foreclosure. I need to find property management companies and apartments that will rent to me with a terrible credit score.

Please help if you know of any place that does conditional leasing - or that will make considerations regarding my credit based on my circumstances for credit.

How to find apartments or property managers that do not run a credit check. Does anyone know of any through prior experiences or word of mouth?

Thank you

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-02-2013 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: Merged 3:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 11:59 AM

391 posts, read 232,091 times
Try getting with one of the apartment finding services, and see if they have a way to help you along. I'm sure they deal with a wide variety of situations and circumstances. One in the Denver area is www.apartmentguyz.com. Good luck to you

Old 06-02-2013, 01:11 PM

4,662 posts, read 3,319,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneemb727 View Post
How to find apartments or property managers that do not run a credit check. Does anyone know of any through prior experiences or word of mouth?
Rent from an independent landlord, not from a property management company. Property managers are required to run credit checks. Thats their job.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:45 PM

4,662 posts, read 3,319,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneemb727 View Post
I am struggling to find a place to live in the Denver area that will work with my credit score/situation. In short, I have severe health issues and became disabled, then lost my husband to a car accident. These events made it impossible for me to maintain our home of more than 10 years and I lost it to foreclosure. I am looking for info on property managment companies and apartments that will take my situation into account when considering my credit score. I have been unable to find a place and have been living in a motel for months.
Please respond if you know of any places.
Thank you.
Denver Human Services - Housing Assistance

Old 06-02-2013, 05:26 PM

6 posts, read 10,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
Try getting with one of the apartment finding services, and see if they have a way to help you along. I'm sure they deal with a wide variety of situations and circumstances. One in the Denver area is www.apartmentguyz.com. Good luck to you
Thank you.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:43 PM

3,682 posts, read 4,261,362 times
Landlord generally makes decision, property management just passes along the credit report and score. You never know what the response will be, but in the tight market right now obviously landlords get a chance to be picky and go with a better credit score. Just keep trying, something may work out. Best to be up front when you call in and ask if they will even consider you. Someone will eventually.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:33 PM

2,699 posts, read 1,663,092 times
Do you have reliable income now?

If you don't, how will you pay the rent?

That is what the landlord is concerned about. He isn't concerned about the credit score, the income, the disability, or anything else. He wants to know, "If I rent to you, how do I know you will make monthly rent payments on time and for the correct amount?" The credit score, looking at income, and looking at supporting documentation are the most reliable ways for him or her to make an informed decision about the risks that they take when agreeing to rent to you.

It really is that simple. If you can afford rent, prove it to them.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:21 PM

532 posts, read 440,080 times
Regardless of credit, if you have decent, verifiable good rental history, you can approach a private owner. But given your unfortunate circumstances (I feel for you, I do), if you can, if you get turned down, you can offer first and last month's rent and a $1,000 deposit. That sometimes works, especially if you show up well dressed, groomed (as I'm sure you would), and charming. It might work, at any rate.

Even if you have these mishaps lately, in the past, did you have good rental history, anywhere? Get the contact information from these people, and use that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver