Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 04:54 PM

664 posts, read 2,057,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
This one isn't much of a secret since it is always packed, but try the Tamale Kitchen on Mississippi Ave west of Sheridan Blvd. Best Breakfast Burritos ever. Buy tamales for $6.50 (not a typo) per dozen. There is very little seating so plan on take out.
Is this true at the other Tamale Kitchen locations? It seems to be a franchise and some of the other locations are much more convenient for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 08:28 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,087,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicheesefries View Post
Is this true at the other Tamale Kitchen locations? It seems to be a franchise and some of the other locations are much more convenient for me.
The other Tamale Kitchens are kind of hit and miss. They are not all owned by the same person but other franchisees. The food at the TK near me (Ken Caryl) is good, but not as good as the original TK. It's also more expensive.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 AM

664 posts, read 2,057,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
The other Tamale Kitchens are kind of hit and miss. They are not all owned by the same person but other franchisees. The food at the TK near me (Ken Caryl) is good, but not as good as the original TK. It's also more expensive.
Interesting. They have some of the menus for them online but not all of them. The outlying ones are more expensive but the lower cost isn't enough to make me drive that far. But the quality difference might be. Which ones are misses that you've been to?

Old 07-13-2010, 05:30 PM

6 posts, read 23,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
If you are into neat bars I suggest Vinnies in morrison right next door from the morrison inn. Its a tiny tiny place but very laid back and on fridays they have live guitar and karioke woot woot!!
Yes, Vinny's is great. More specifically, it's located in the second floor of Tony Rigatoni's restaurant across from Morrison Inn. The only bad thing is Dawn the most awesome bartender moved to North Carolina. But it's still a great place to hang.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:54 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,918,789 times
Tacos Veldoz (sp?) near Federal and 50th has awesome breakfast burritos!! Cheap and come with three salsas

Old 12-14-2010, 03:39 AM

553 posts, read 1,539,628 times
The best breakfast burritos I've ever had is from a tiny, pink little "house" made into a food "place". I don't think you can go in to sit down and eat. You stand in the front room behind the counter and order your take-out. There is no sign outside even indicating that it sells food. I think it's right off of 28th and Tejon st, which is off of Federal blvd. They do all of their business by word of mouth. No advertising at all and it's ALWAYS packed. But the breakfast burritos are so worth it! For about $1.50/ea and varying degrees of hot green chile. I don't even know what the owner calls it and I'm not even sure they speak english. But they understand what you want and they make your order right in front of you. A very weird and unusual place that is a well kept secret. All I could do was just stand in line with the other gringos and marvel that such a place exists.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:14 PM

93 posts, read 294,621 times
^ interesting : )

for Mexican, I like Santiago's because their green chile is head and shoulders better than everyone else's I have tried. I also like Senor Burrioto's off 1st and Broadway, but mainly bc its so close to my place. I need to try Jalisco's and Lupita's. I would stay away from Benny's and Blue Bonnet.

el Tejado between englewood and denver on broadway is a pretty decent spot. They have live mariachi's and stuff, and a great place for breakfast believe it or not.

Snooze is my favorite breakfast spot. good luck getting in, its always a 30-45 min wait at least. but worth it. You know a restaurant is good in Denver when there is always people in there like this.

I can't believe I haven't seen anybody mention Lucile's Creole Cafe off Alameda and Logan or so. Its one of my favorites, but only open for breakfast and lunch. they have a seriously amazing cajun omelette that is unlike anyting I have ever ate. Its very impressive, and very reasonably priced. Always people there too, so be prepared to wait for a few minutes if you go.

I am also surpsied to see so much cherry Cricket love for their burgers, which are very, very average in my opinion. I know you can find better, without all the kids running around.

Haven't found that great of BBQ though (which is what I really like...) I need to try Nick and Jacks (?) i heard its good, but a bit far north for my personal tastes. Moe's original BBQ and Brecekenridge BBQ have some decent BBQ. Moes was ok, I wish tehy had more variety of BBQ sauces and bigger portions. But this aint KC, where BBQ just demolishes everything you will ever eat.

Lots of good italian here I have found. Some are pricey (Luca D'Ialia). Mici isn't too bad, but if you want a calzone, just go to whole foods and have them make you one!

There is one fast food place Ive never seen anywhere else that is pretty good too. GOOD TIMES. Good burgers for fast food!

There is TONS of awesome pizza downtown. I can't remember the place we went to, but i think it was off Wynkoop. There is also a place off broadway and 1st or so called The Walnut Room pizzeria. If you like thin pizzas with lots of toppings, this was a very good pizza. The Mile High Pie was fantastic, i think thats what it was called.

this thread is making me hungry!

Old 12-17-2010, 12:03 PM

I remember another good secret place. Smokin' Yards BBQ in Idaho Springs. I don't even like barbeque! But this place was amazing! Not fancy at all, very local, very simple. I felt almost "snobbish" for not wanting to eat there but I was out numbered in the vote. And I'm very glad I was wrong. They serve loose smoked chicken, pork and beef with an oustanding dry rub on them, then served with a bunch of different BBQ sauces all homemade, authentic recipes from the owner. They smoke the meat right there on the premises. It looks like you were going to a block party or something.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:10 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,983,261 times
Not sure if these are "secrets," but I really enjoyed the following restaurants/bars during my last stay in the Denver area.

Cheeky Monk - Great Belgium beers and tasty food. Had a lot of fun here.

Bistro Vendome - Excellent French food in Larimer Square. Not too expensive compared to most French bistros.

Euclid Hall - Nice selection of beers and great sausages. Also near Larimer Square. Cool atmosphere.

Efrains in Boulder - This was a fun dive. I had a really good burrito ordered extra spicy. I love spicy Mexican food, but it seems like most Mexican joints in the area are bland.

Can't wait to visit again and try some of the restaurants that some of you mentioned.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:45 AM

Here's another "secret" of Denver. For outstanding middle Eastern food try: Jerusalem Restaurant's Homepage The service is probably not the best, and you will never be impressed with the deco, but the food is fantastic! Some people claim it's a "hit or miss", but I've been there many times and I've never been disappointed. The long line and full tables speak for themselves. We usually end up just getting take out, but on occasion you might luck out and get a wobbely table inside. If the weather is nice, you'll get the wobbely table outside. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver