Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 12:08 PM

646 posts, read 926,457 times

Advertisements

I live in the NYC metro area and looking to move soon for better QOL. I am making a list of cities where I will be applying for jobs and decide from there. I am also considering Pittsburgh. Denver looks attractive to me because of nice QOL and perfect 4 seasons. Just had general questions.

What's the vibe like?
Denver seems like a clean city, perhaps too clean. Is there distinct character/culture in nhoods?
I like diversity and am mostly liberal. How is the overall culture and mindset of people and race relations? Are there diverse suburbs?
Are there many things to do besides mountains? I am not really into mountains.
How's nightlife? Are there good museums, exhibits, strip clubs, concerts, restaurants, sports bars (I like NHL and NBA)?
Are there any good Hip Hop clubs, events, parties?
How's the women?

Any other relevant info will be helpful.

Last edited by greenlite; 12-14-2013 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 02:16 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
JMO:

Denver doesn't have 4 perfect seasons. They all blend together.

Denver is too clean south and east of I-25/Broadway. The rest of it is dirty enough. IMO neighborhoods fall into three categories: 1) over-yuppified, 2) regular/boring, 3) where they keep it real.

Denver is diverse east of I-25. The rest is mostly White and Hispanic. Aurora is the only truly diverse suburb. The city is liberal, the inner suburbs are moderate, the exurbs are conservative.

The overall culture contains Broncos, snow sports, and weed. Add in things yuppies like for a wildcard.

Race relations IMO get a C-. There is more residential segregation than I would care for, but everybody seems to be okay with it. Diverse groups of friends aren't as commonplace as they are in Southern CA, for example.

There's tons of things to do besides mountains. You can ski in mountains, snowboard in mountains, go white-water rafting in mountains, go hiking in mountains, go gambling in mountains, go shout from the top of mountains. What more could you want?
Spoiler
Sorry, this is a direct response for cheering for the mountains at public events, you'd swear this was the only place with mountains.

There's tons of stuff to do downtown. Shopping, museums, restaurants, tall buildings, live sports, concerts. Seriously, if I'm ever bored here, it's all my fault. If you like NHL & NBA, Pepsi Center is your place. There's sports bars and beer everywhere you look 'round here.

There's bars and clubs here just like everywhere else. I know coming from NYC, you are probably imagining Denver to be something like a town out of an old western, but I kid you not, Denver is a city too.

I went to a Fabolous/Twista/Baby Bash concert once. Saw Ice Cube/Ludacris a few months ago. There are hip-hop fans here, and clubs to go with it. There's some places on Lincoln/Broadway that cater to that crowd, and if I could ever sneak away and check it out, I would (but the ball and chain, you know ).

What women?

Old 12-15-2013, 09:22 AM

so all the outdoor recreation is centered around mountains?

Old 12-15-2013, 09:43 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Not at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
so all the outdoor recreation is centered around mountains?
Kayaking
Biking
Walking
Eating good meals on patios

Old 12-15-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Kayaking
Biking
Walking
i heard theres not a lot of water around?

Old 12-15-2013, 12:21 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Kayaking
Biking
Walking
You forgot the brewpubs, one on every corner; THAT is where all the water goes!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:28 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Why would there be? This is the parched plains.

There's a few creeks, a river, and a few reservoirs. You only see them if you're looking for them. It's not like Seattle or San Francisco where water is in the background everywhere you look.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Why would there be? This is the parched plains.

There's a few creeks, a river, and a few reservoirs. You only see them if you're looking for them. It's not like Seattle or San Francisco where water is in the background everywhere you look.
i dont kno, thats why im askin

Old 12-15-2013, 08:19 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Quote:
List of lakes in CO
List of lakes in Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of rivers
List of rivers of Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-15-2013, 08:48 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
Quote:
Denver has a semi-arid continental steppe climate. There is very little water.

The pluses to this:
- low humidity
- very sunny and clear skies (clouds are water vapor and Colorado has very little water, so...)
- few bugs, and the ones that are here are small
- awesome summer (no heat index numbers to worry about)
- no months-long snow piles.
- few water hazards on most golf courses

Minuses:
- rivers and lakes are a joke (the Platte River in Denver is about 5 feet deep and 60 feet wide)
- Dry air is hard on skin, hair, and sinuses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver