Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:45 PM

8 posts, read 10,849 times

Advertisements

Hi! My wife and I are looking for a place in the Denver area to raise our daughter. Here are some details:

Our daughter is still an infant but we want an area of Denver or suburb which has excellent schools, low crime, and lots of parks (we love the outdoors). We like older houses (1950s and older) but have a hard time finding them in nice neighborhoods. We also are wanting an area where the people are friendly. We currently live in an unfriendly area and do not want our daughter growing up to believe that all people are rude. Finally, we're lesbians and although we do not parade around our sexual orientation (most people don't know we're homosexual unless we tell them) we want to make sure that our daughter will grow up around people who will not put her down for having two moms (most people open minded/accepting - I understand not everyone will be).

Any advice on locations? If any other information/preferences are needed then just let me know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 03:56 PM

698 posts, read 2,038,893 times
Where is work and price range?

Old 06-24-2013, 04:01 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,439,704 times
Many neighborhoods in Denver meet this criteria. Your price range is going to be the biggest determining factor. The best, most expensive neighborhoods in Denver are also the some of the most socially liberal and are mostly 1920s and 1930s builds if not older.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:03 PM

We both work in education and will be applying for jobs but first wanted to get an idea of local neighborhoods in order to narrow down possible employment opportunities. Ideally, we would like to keep the housing cost at $350,000 but we can budge on that a little. We do not need a huge house either; it is only the three of us so extravagant is not a necessity.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:16 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,998,610 times
You could live anywhere in the Denver metro area and meet your criteria. When you have job offers is the time to start narrowing down neighborhoods. Denver is live and let live. Your daughter would have to have two heads to attract attention.

Friendly depends on where you come from. The same live and let live attitude tends to put people off from the south but others from the east or west coasts find it friendly enough. Parks are everywhere and if you look, good schools are in all areas but you might have to pick the neighborhood with the school you want once you know your work location.

$350K is plenty of budget. You will find a nice house unless you try and live in Boulder where there are no houses in that range.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:19 PM

698 posts, read 2,038,893 times
There are many neighborhoods here that would fit your criteria so job location will be a big factor. Generally speaking, the southern suburbs are more conservative socially and politically than Denver proper and areas closer to Boulder.

How do you feel about newer homes that have the architectural styling of older ones? If it's the style that draws you to older homes I would suggest Stapleton as an option. Very gay friendly and friendly in general. Lots of gay families with children. There are other options too, just throwing that out as a place you guys can start.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:22 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,439,704 times
One of my favorite neighborhoods in Denver is Platt Park. You can find bungalows there in your price range. COhomefinder | 1827 S Emerson St Denver, CO 80210 - MLS #1200792 - Home for sale at COhomefinder

Wash Park, Congress Park, and Cheesman Park are also all great for families (gay or straight), but might be reaching a bit in that price range.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:46 PM

17,669 posts, read 29,545,432 times
Default Slavens school and others

Slavens (K-8)
Stay inside the boundaries.
http://media.dpsk12.org/boundarymaps/279.pdf
Denver Public Schools

Edison
http://media.dpsk12.org/boundarymaps/230.pdf
Denver Public Schools
Edison is a better school than the stats.

Cory
http://media.dpsk12.org/boundarymaps/223.pdf
Denver Public Schools

Old 06-24-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradburn1 View Post
How do you feel about newer homes that have the architectural styling of older ones? If it's the style that draws you to older homes I would suggest Stapleton as an option. Very gay friendly and friendly in general. Lots of gay families with children. There are other options too, just throwing that out as a place you guys can start.

We like the architectural style of the older homes but we would be very open to newer homes with the same look. I will check out Stapleton, thank you.

Thank you to everyone who replied with their advice. We appreciate all the suggestions and look forward to this new chapter.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:10 AM

618 posts, read 1,358,335 times
Hi there,

We just moved to Stapleton from one Denver's older/historic neighborhoods. So far, my wife and I love the transition. Our house design (built by Wonderland) is inspired by some of the older, more traditional homes of Denver - but have modern features like walk-in closets, master bathroom, open layout, etc. Plus the maintenance issues at the older place never ended.

But here is what absolutely stands out for us about the move...we have a two-year old son and all we need to do to have fun is step out our front door. There are other kids his age in the neighborhood that have become his playmates. We can go on long walks through the abundant parks and greenbelts. On hot days, we are able to stroll over to one of the pools where we can cool off. The change has really improved his social skills and behavior.

Regarding tolerance, I have found that much of Denver is very friendly to gay folks and Stapleton is no exception. There is a group on facebook called Gaypleton that hosts events and meet-ups for the gay community living in Stapleton. I've met a few gay families living in Stapleton that seem to love it here. The majority of people I've met in Stapleton seem respectful of various backgrounds and lifestyle choices.

PM me if you want to know more about Stapleton or if you have any other questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: