Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 AM

91 posts, read 177,325 times

Advertisements

The unanimous consensus of the scientific community is that a disasterous global warming trend is already under way and it won't get better any time soon. We are on the cusp of hitting 400 parts per million of CO2 in the earth's atmosphere. Every single scientist who has not been bought out by special interests will tell you that there's no coming back from that - not in your life time, not in the life time of your children, not in the life time of your grandchildren.

Everywhere won't be hit by drought, BTW. Parts of the eastern US are experiencing unsual amounts of heavy rain. This destroys a farmer's harvest of hay as surely as drought does.

No, scientists can't forecast that Denver or Dove Creek will get exactly X amount less precipitation in the year 20XX. But scientists CAN tell you that we are experiencing a climate shift that will force us to change just about everything we now currently do from the crops we grow or don't grow in a given region to the coastal cities which find themselves partially or completely covered by the rising seas. Denver won't have to worry about THAT one, at least.[/quote]

I'm sorry, but science can only tell us about the present - their prediction ability is worse than the weather bureau. In fact, given enough time most "scientific" predictions turn out to be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 11:01 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,897,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurDaly View Post

I'm sorry, but science can only tell us about the present - their prediction ability is worse than the weather bureau. In fact, given enough time most "scientific" predictions turn out to be wrong.
The appropriate place to post about Colorado's and the rest of the West's water supply is HERE.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:22 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,824,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurDaly View Post
The unanimous consensus of the scientific community is that a disasterous global warming trend is already under way and it won't get better any time soon. We are on the cusp of hitting 400 parts per million of CO2 in the earth's atmosphere. Every single scientist who has not been bought out by special interests will tell you that there's no coming back from that - not in your life time, not in the life time of your children, not in the life time of your grandchildren.
We already have hit 400 ppm of CO2. Nobody can say quite what that means yet, but as far as I can tell, it has absolutely nothing to do with my desires to move to Colorado (or not to do so). I don't mean any offense, but every semi-educated person who isn't a complete political shill is well aware of the existence of climate change and of the fact that it poses a threat. So yeah. Plenty of places to read about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Let's allow the OP to get some actual answers to her question.
HIS question.

I'm really more interested in anecdotal information regarding what it's like to live in Denver. How difficult would it be to afford a decent place IN the city for a young person with no wife or children? What kind of nightlife does Denver offer (I've gotten mixed info on that so far)? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages compared to other cities/areas? I'm really only interested in places north of 40˚N latitude (and I know most of CO doesn't fit that, but the elevation helps), so comparisons within that framework are especially welcome.

And of course, if no one cares to reply, my feelings won't be hurt.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:59 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,897,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
We already have hit 400 ppm of CO2. Nobody can say quite what that means yet, but as far as I can tell, it has absolutely nothing to do with my desires to move to Colorado (or not to do so). I don't mean any offense, but every semi-educated person who isn't a complete political shill is well aware of the existence of climate change and of the fact that it poses a threat. So yeah. Plenty of places to read about that.

HIS question.

I'm really more interested in anecdotal information regarding what it's like to live in Denver. How difficult would it be to afford a decent place IN the city for a young person with no wife or children? What kind of nightlife does Denver offer (I've gotten mixed info on that so far)? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages compared to other cities/areas? I'm really only interested in places north of 40˚N latitude (and I know most of CO doesn't fit that, but the elevation helps), so comparisons within that framework are especially welcome.

My, your poor thread has gotten really tangled up! First it gets drowned in the Colorado River, then I get your gender wrong and then someone who apparently doesn't know how to click on the "Quote" icon replies in such a way that MY words in reply to another forum member appear to have been written by him instead of me. Good Grief!

I take FULL responsibility for the quote ShipOfFools was responding to. Poor old Arthur had nothing to do with it, other than to scramble up the context.

ANYHOW...

I would love to respond to the details of the OP's question, but the last time I lived on the Front Range was in 2004, so my info would be a tad out-dated. I had lots of fun doing Denver's nightlife scene back in the day and found the rents to be reasonable, as well - for what THAT's worth.

Come on people, help us out here!

Old 07-14-2013, 05:53 PM

26,134 posts, read 48,779,992 times
Quote:
... I'm really more interested in anecdotal information regarding what it's like to live in Denver. How difficult would it be to afford a decent place IN the city for a young person with no wife or children? What kind of nightlife does Denver offer (I've gotten mixed info on that so far)? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages compared to other cities/areas? I'm really only interested in places north of 40˚N latitude (and I know most of CO doesn't fit that, but the elevation helps), so comparisons within that framework are especially welcome....
Okay, getting back on track..

The influx will continue for as long as there are jobs and water and prices don't rise to where the vast majority of people are priced out.

Apartments are available, though supply is tightening until new construction can catch up and dampen rental rates. Use padmapper.com

Denver nightlife is vibrant, both straight and gay, especially in the LODO area but others as well.

Advantages are rather good public transit, dry air, no ghettos, all 5 pro sports and very decent food, music, culture and art scenes.

Disadvantages are no ocean, long distances to other major cities (500+ miles in any direction), weather that can change a good deal from day to day.

I live in COLO SPGS so can't really say, but after 65 years and being around Baltimore and DC for decades I'd say that Denver is one hell of a livable city.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:46 PM

17,678 posts, read 29,607,847 times
Default You are OLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
after 65 years
I still have 3.5 months before I can take advantage of socialized medicine (Medicare, here I come, baby).

Old 07-15-2013, 01:45 PM

704 posts, read 1,785,924 times
Any talk about Denver becoming the next Chicago or New York is way off the mark. Is Denver growing? Yes. But so are Austin, Tampa, Charlotte, Raleigh, Salt Lake, San Antonio, Nashville, and many other peer cities.

The country as a whole is shifting from the northeast and Midwest to the west and south, so Denver is finding a lot of new competitors from cities to the south and west of us. Most likely, Denver will continue to be a regional hub, but definitely not a national center.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:55 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,558,348 times
Denver to me is a fly over city.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:12 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,096,650 times
Quote:

Gone are the days where the only choices young people had for cosmopolitan cities were New York, L.A., and Chicago. Today, there are dozens of mid-to-large cities in the U.S. that offer the same culture, nightlife, dining, economies, and activities--just on different scales. Everything you can do in New York, you can do in Denver, but just on a much smaller scale. Seattle, Austin, San Diego, Nashville, Charlotte, Boston, New Orleans, and dozens of others have very little difference when it comes to their offerings for the 'young, urban professional'.

Denver's advantage is the proximity to the Rockies. Take that away, it it is just like any other major U.S. city.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:18 PM

704 posts, read 1,785,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Denver to me is a fly over city.
The only reason Denver is a step-above Kansas City or Oklahoma City is the fact that it has the Rockies in the backyard. But the mountains aren't actually in Denver. So the main reason the vast majority of people come here has actually nothing to do with Denver at all.

That's always been the case, though. In the 1800s people didn't come here because of the city's raging cultural scene. They came to mine. The oil boom was not about putting up rigs and derricks next to McNichols Arena. It was about the oil all around us.

And so it is again. People don't come to Denver for Denver; they come because of what's outside of Denver. That is always going to keep the place from becoming a major city. No matter how many G8 Summits or DNCs you hold, the reality will always be that Denver is always much less interesting than what lies around Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver