Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 11:42 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times

Advertisements

Non smoker. Not worried about the cold. I lived in NC for a while.

I can't do any type of cardio in the gym at all. I can't catch my breath. I literally can't breathe. And I did hard cord 1 hour a day 6 days a week in Miami. Not going to the doctor over it either. It is what it is and when the time comes we'll leave Denver. Not necessarily back to FL but sea level
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 03:27 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post

I can't do any type of cardio in the gym at all. I can't catch my breath. I literally can't breathe. And I did hard cord 1 hour a day 6 days a week in Miami. Not going to the doctor over it either. It is what it is and when the time comes we'll leave Denver. Not necessarily back to FL but sea level
That's ridiculous. You've been here what, 1 month or so? Sounds like you're giving up pretty quickly

Go to Walgreens and get a pulse oximeter. Check your levels. If they are dropping in to the 80s, you may have a problem. Keep training. There is a reason athletes come here to train. They get better. Their bodies make more red blood cells. You likely just need time and training. When you go back to sea level to visit, you'll be a beast.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
It's one of the minor reasons my wife and I are considering leaving. She has a heart prolapse that supposedly closed and healed, but moving here she has had more erratic heart palpitations. She doesn't have them at sea level. My Mom had to move back to CA, COPD, here in CO needs oxy sea level no. I think it was worse for her in Pagosa it's 8000 ft where here place was. We are 6200 ish in Parker.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:05 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times
It almost forced my mother(God rest her soul sorry to be so token, but had a few) who never smoked drank ect or wasn't very over weight .. to move to Arizona. She carried one of those oxygen portables around. To Answer you question, the altitude punishes a small minority. the healthy adjust just fine.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:14 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post

You have to give your body at least 6 months-your lungs are used to sea level-

Old 07-28-2013, 09:47 PM

557 posts, read 810,830 times
Been here 3 weeks now. Made the hike up the trail leading to the glacier at Clear Creek and had no issues. That was at 10,800 feet. Like everyone has already said, everyone is different but if you're fairly healthy you shouldn't have much problem adjusting. We came from the Gulf Coast and haven't had any issues adjusting.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:46 AM

327 posts, read 526,319 times
Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
However, the more you use your lungs, the more you will be able to adapt-unless you smoke. This concept is basic Anatomy. Why do you think Olympians and competitive runners tend to train in higher altitudes?

It is the same concept when you first moved from Miami and got a taste of the Colorado cold-you probably froze your a** off
Then, do you believe everyone who doesn't smoke and is willing to just suck it up will acclimate eventually?

What do you think accounts for all the retirees moving south--laziness?

Old 07-30-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
It almost forced my mother(God rest her soul sorry to be so token, but had a few) who never smoked drank ect or wasn't very over weight .. to move to Arizona. She carried one of those oxygen portables around. To Answer you question, the altitude punishes a small minority. the healthy adjust just fine.
Scott, that sounds like a hard time for her. Did she need to use oxygen in AZ also? Do you mind if I ask what the condition was she suffered from...some lung or respiratory ailment, I'd guess?

Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 AM

Thanks to those who posted their experience!

Hopefully the few invalidating responses won't put off others from contributing to the thread. It seems clear to me that there are several medical conditions that could contribute to an inability to adapt to higher elevations. And it's anyone's right to have them diagnosed or not, treated or not. But that's a tangent.

It also seems to me that - albeit using a small sample size - there are some people with no obvious evidence of a disease or health insufficiency who simply do not do well at altitude.

It's too bad there isn't a better way to find out than up and moving to a high place with fingers crossed!

Old 07-30-2013, 07:33 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimono View Post
Then, do you believe everyone who doesn't smoke and is willing to just suck it up will acclimate eventually?

What do you think accounts for all the retirees moving south--laziness?

No older people do not like cold weather or like to deal with it....

We will never know since the OP refuses to go to a doctor now will we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver