U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2008, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
Reputation: 10428

Advertisements

Last year I didn't get any frost until October 10th, and even then it was very light and I covered the tomatoes. I don't think we had a hard freeze until late October, so I was getting tomatoes, squash and cucumbers well into October. I guess it just depends on the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2008, 07:42 AM
 
Location: on an island
13,382 posts, read 40,853,550 times
Reputation: 13244
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Last year I didn't get any frost until October 10th, and even then it was very light and I covered the tomatoes. I don't think we had a hard freeze until late October, so I was getting tomatoes, squash and cucumbers well into October. I guess it just depends on the year.
Yes, I've had falls where I've been harvesting tomatoes well into October--what a delight.
I've also had Septembers where I've been hosting incredulous relatives who woke up to snow falling outside.
You just never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,883 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Reputation: 32946
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yes, I've had falls where I've been harvesting tomatoes well into October--what a delight.
I've also had Septembers where I've been hosting incredulous relatives who woke up to snow falling outside.
You just never know.
Yes, it does depend on the year. We got tired of covering tomatoes, b/c many times it stays cold for a few days, and the tomatoes get wrecked anyway. So now we just let it freeze. This fall was nice because things that had stopped growing b/c it got so hot in the summer were doing well. It may be different in 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 07:33 PM
 
303 posts, read 1,416,119 times
Reputation: 184
I have a community garden plot, the garden is in a particularly cold area of Boulder. It frequently snaps about 5-10F colder at night than most of Boulder. We had a killing freeze on June 15 last summer, which didn't seem to happen at any of the other gardens around the city. Most of the unprotected squash, beans, and warm-weather plants were killed or took heavy damage. We also tend to start getting freezes about two weeks earlier than other locales in the city. It appears that one of the coldest points in Boulder is to the east, near the East Rec Center out along Baseline (per conversation with persons who collect this sort of data).

So, just a note that local climate variations can have a big effect on horticultural efforts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2008, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelumbo View Post
I have a community garden plot, the garden is in a particularly cold area of Boulder. It frequently snaps about 5-10F colder at night than most of Boulder. We had a killing freeze on June 15 last summer, which didn't seem to happen at any of the other gardens around the city. Most of the unprotected squash, beans, and warm-weather plants were killed or took heavy damage. We also tend to start getting freezes about two weeks earlier than other locales in the city. It appears that one of the coldest points in Boulder is to the east, near the East Rec Center out along Baseline (per conversation with persons who collect this sort of data).

So, just a note that local climate variations can have a big effect on horticultural efforts.
Thats' strange. My last frost last year was sometime around May 12th, I believe. I covered my banana trees with trash cans, but nothing else was harmed, and no frost until well into October. It's a strange climate here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2008, 08:44 AM
 
303 posts, read 1,416,119 times
Reputation: 184
The June freeze was I think the night after the day of 100 mph winds. So stuff took a double beating.

I grow a lot of asian produce, but keep most of it under a tent of arched pvc (heavy polyspun cover in spring and fall, cotton gauze in summer), it keeps the humidity up, moderates the extreme sun, and takes the edge off of the nights. I left it up one winter (not this year) with some really tender taiwanese stuff; the cover was only rated to 25F and actual temps made it down to -10F during the winter, but almost everything under the cover survived. I think there was a study in New Hampshire with some row covers that found that plants survived temperatures way below the rating of the row cover fabric, but they didn't know why....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:29 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top