Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 02:56 PM

98 posts, read 433,181 times

Advertisements

Ok, so we are settled - well ALMOST - but getting there... and I was wondering could you all give me some ideas for things to do that are kid and family friendly?

I have been looking, and maybe just in the wrong places, but I can't seem to find what we are looking for.

I know the Zoo and the Children's Museum... but what else?

Our son is 7

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 03:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
My kids hung out with friends (outside/inside) a lot.

But in terms of planned activities: We always spent a lot of time at the Natural History Museum next to the Zoo, which I believe is now called the Museum of Nature and Science.

We also spent a lot of time at The Tattered Cover Bookstore.

Sometimes I feel like most of our time was either on the soccer field or in a car driving to the soccer field.

Washington Park, and all the other parks. We became members of Virgina Vale Swimming Pool, though I think Skyline and/or Crestmoor are the more upscale pools.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:48 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
I have 8y, 6y, 4y, and 3 week old girls. We take them to Parker H2Obrien water park in the summer. There is Pirate's Cove in Littleton which is not quite a huge commercial water park but it's a lot bigger than a community water park. Good for kids 7 through 18 maybe. There is this Wildlife Experience SE of 470 and 25. I think there is an IMAX in there. There is also the Children's Museum and next to it the Aquarium near the Bronco football stadium in Denver. But like the previous post, we are at soccer, basketball games, or driving to them or at birthday parties. Today I took my older three girls horseback riding in Palmer Lake. They had a deal, $10 for a ride around the lake. We try to save the indoor things like museums for bad weather days. If it is a nice day we try really hard to do stuff outside like hiking, miniature golf, tobogganing, Sky Sox baseball (blows away major leagues with $9 seats on the field), skiing, fishing, etc. Another fun thing is bowling. It's not your dad's bowling anymore. Rock music, TVs with football games, bumpers to eliminate gutters so kids can bowl, even these metal bowling ball slides so kids as young as three can lift a ball onto something that looks like a ski jump and it rolls down the lane.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Palmer_lake_bowling.jpg
Views:	22395
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	9997 Click image for larger version

Name:	palmer_lake_horsebackriding.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	9998Click image for larger version

Name:	mini_golf_COS.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	10000Click image for larger version

Name:	tobaggan_hill_woodmoor.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	10001

Old 11-11-2007, 05:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
My kids did as cil's. Plus, they got into gymnastics in elementary school and spent a lot of time in the gym, through high school. Also Sunday School and youth group at church. Get the rec brochure from your local park and rec district; there will probably be loads of activities for your son.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:09 PM

260 posts, read 1,438,305 times
There is an art museum downtown, the denver mint, ocean journey, elitches (in season, not now) -- ok six flags is the new name.

You can checkout the georgetown train. Lots of nice trails around Boulder -- thinking Chataqua (flatirons), climb green mtn, hike from eldorado.

Mtn bike riding. Waterton canyon is popular for both hiking and biking.

I just want to the wilderness experience today. It somewhat small, but the kids and adults alike had fun. You can google it and find a free couple (for each adult, free kids admittance) a $7 value each coupon ... good thru 12/31/2007. It'll keep you busy for about 2 hours ... and if you like art, maybe longer.

Of course that are all the big malls: Cherry Creek, Flatirons Crossing, Park Meadows.

There is a place just up the mtns called tiny town. Its inexpensive and good for kids.

In the summer, you must check out "water world" up in Northglenn. Its actually better than the water parks I went to in Orlando.

There used to be a gland prix racing place in Denver, not sure its its there still.

When my family moved here in 1976, we spent a lot of time climbing mountains. I loved it. In the spring and summer months, we would drive up to Brainard Lake and hike up to the various lakes and mountain peaks. We also climbed all the mtns around Boulder.

In the summer, mtn biking at the ski areas and surrounding areas is great fun. A coulpe even have alpine slides and putt putt at the base areas ...

Just some ideas ...

Old 11-11-2007, 09:29 PM

98 posts, read 433,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.adams View Post

When my family moved here in 1976, we spent a lot of time climbing mountains. I loved it. In the spring and summer months, we would drive up to Brainard Lake and hike up to the various lakes and mountain peaks. We also climbed all the mtns around Boulder.
Can't wait for the camping and hiking - the main reason we moved here

Old 11-11-2007, 10:04 PM

260 posts, read 1,438,305 times
One thing about camping in COlorado these days ... lots of places you used to just 'show up' at, now require reservations to ensure you a spot. Plus the costs have gone up. There are still some free places around, but you have to look a lot harder to find them. I don't really do much tent camping anymore, but growing up in Boulder and having a Dad who was the boy scout leader -- we camped all over, every month of the year, for almost 10 years. We even had some great snow-coving camping trips up at Brainard Lake area in January ... and even had cross country skiiers wake us up around midnight ... they were standing (skiing) on top of our snowcave!!

Old 11-12-2007, 03:16 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Yes, even before we left, car camping had become pretty crowded. B Adams, we did many a camping trip up at Brainard Lake.

Momzilla, one thing both my boys loved every winter was skiing/snowboarding. Many kids joined clubs; you pay a fee, get a pass, and take a bus every Saturday for 6 weeks. The kids are grouped according to ability. They always loved their instructors.
The older one began skiing and changed over to snowboarding, the younger one never did ski, he went right to the board.
They did Copper Choppers and Eskimo and Buffalo depending on what their buddies were doing. I think they liked Eskimo the best.

They spent two weeks at camp every summer. They went to Geneva Glen.
Geneva Glen
I can't tell you just how much our boys loved camp. They LOVED it and we wished we could have afforded to send them the whole month, but no way.
GG is just before Tiny Town off I-70 in Indian Hills.
If you are interested, you have to call them Right Now (I am not exaggerating.)
They might have outgrown it now, but niece and nephew went to Camp Chief Ouray every summer. This is where my brothers and cousins went.
Camp Chief Ouray (http://www.ymcarockies.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=YMCACampHome - broken link) It is a YMCA camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver