U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 08:07 PM

42 posts, read 142,690 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. I'm coming to Denver from North Carolina to have surgery. We will be staying in a hotel in the Aurora area. We will be coming in on Saturday
Dec 8th at about 3:00 p.m. We will be there all day on Sunday Dec 9th. I have to report to the hospital at 4:30 on Monday Dec 10th, so we will have a good portion of the day on Monday to sightsee too. If anyone has suggestions for us on Saturday evening, all day Sunday (including evening), and Monday so that we will be back at Aurora by 4:30 I would appreciate it. We don't drink alcohol or smoke so clubs and that sort of thing would be out. We would really like to see the natural beauty, geography, geology and things of a historical nature. Just your usual tourist attractions I guess. And if there are any really great restaurants, I'd like to know about those too. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 08:16 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
Will you have a car? If so, go into Denver and see: Denver Museum of Nature and Science, Colorado History Museum, Denver Art Museum, and many more. I would suggest a google search. Without a car, you could take the bus. Google RTD Denver. Good luck with your surgery!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:56 AM

129 posts, read 1,124,616 times
Here's a site that lists a bunch of free things to see and do, with detailed descriptions of many of them:

Colorado For Free - Front Range-North Area

There are some classic attractions on the list, such as a tour of the Denver Mint and the Capitol building. If you like books, spend some time at The Tattered Cover -- really an extraordinary bookstore.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:49 AM

195 posts, read 728,726 times
Default mountains

drive up into the mountains and have a nice meal in one of the small towns...Idaho Springs is interesting.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:18 AM

244 posts, read 746,842 times
The 16th street mall is a great area of downtown to do some walking and sightseeing. I especially enjoyed visiting the Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre. It is up on a higher elevation, so if you are up to it physically, it offers great views of downtown and the foothills and has two walking trails.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:31 PM

92 posts, read 325,091 times
Assuming you have a car, I'd suggest you go to Chatauqua in Boulder on Sunday. You park your car once and can have either brunch or dinner at the Chatauqua Dining Hall (the buildings are historic; Chautauqua Dining Hall) and, depending on the weather, take a hike into or around the Flatirons (the outdoors, obviously, and pretty much the symbol of Boulder). The hike itself is not particularly strenuous, but if the nature of your surgery precludes even moderate exercise, you can continue driving along Baseline (where Chatauqua is located) and get into the mountains. There's a dramatic view of Boulder Valley along that route and it does go into valleys and mountains to give you a bit of the flavor of the area. You can also visit the Peal Street Mall, a tourist favorite and a great place to people watch. There are several very good restaurants, especially on Pearl just east of the Mall.

If you won't have a car, then I think the 16th Street Mall in downtown Denver, as others have suggested, would be a good idea. You won't get a feel for the CO outdoors (ie, the mountains), though you can go to the bar near the top of the Grand Hyatt to get a good view of the Front Range. I'm assuming you'll be at Fitzsimmons for your surgery? If so, you can get downtown on the Colfax (15) bus line. (Be aware that the riders on the 15 can sometimes be a bit interesting, shall we say, so if you're not used to city buses, I'd suggest taking a cab.) Once downtown, you'll find many of the historical and tourist sites are nearby--the State Capitol, the Denver Mint, the CO history museum, and the Art Museum. You'll also find theatre, symphony, opera, and any touring Broadway production downtown, just a couple of blocks off the Mall. If you're interested in afternoon tea, you can go to the Brown Palace (an historic hotel). There are also good restaurants downtown. A search on this site would provide a good list, I'm sure. A very good deal is Palette's in the old wing of the Art Museum. They have a three-course prix fixe lunch for $23; the food is very good and the portions ample. One last item: If you want to visit the Mint, you must get reservations in advance (just like the Statue of Liberty). You can reserve online through their website.

I forgot to add: Since you'll be touring on Sun and Mon, if you go to downtown Denver, be sure to check on what's going on. The art museum (and Palette's) is closed on Mondays, for example. Theatre, opera, symphony, and ballet are usually matinee performances on Sundays and which have productions depends on the weekend and the season.

Best of luck with your surgery!

Last edited by CapHillboy; 11-12-2007 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: forgot important info

Old 11-12-2007, 06:47 PM

42 posts, read 142,690 times
Thanks so much for the info. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. We will have a car so we will be able to travel away from Denver too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or