U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,490 times

Advertisements

Check out www. workingindenver.com for some decent basic info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 05:45 PM

48 posts, read 170,501 times
I can't answer for denver, but I recruit for positions all over the world, and one thing that is certain is I use monster, careerbuilder, hotjobs, and sometimes craigslist...depending on the position. I've been to national HR conferences, and from what I understand those are the standard websites that recruiters use all over the country.

We don't post a lot of our openings, we mainly source resumes that are posted. Make sure you are keeping your resume updated - meaning the last "edit date" is recent. As a recruiter, we search for when a resume was posted, and I normally start with a 1 month search and go back further if I need to..that way we get candidates who are interested now. I would recommend updating it at least once per week.

Since 1999, every job I've had except one was because I submitted my resume to a job posting or a recruiter came across my posted resume. All were on monster.com, but one was careerbuilder.

monster is the source I use the most as a recruiter because it has the most resumes to choose from. Also, if I knew what type of work you do, I might be able to direct you to a career specific site.

Also, if there are companies you are interested in working for, apply to their online sites. Don't be afraid to make calls to the recruiting department either if it's a job you really want. be sure to wait a few days to give the recruiter a chance to call you though. Also register with some of the big name temp agencies because there are companies that like to bring people on "temp to hire" so they can try someone out first.

I'm looking to move to Denver in about 2-3 years and I've been researching jobs to see how much they pay. I've noticed some that are crazy low paying jobs. I remember seeing a posting from Zip Realty wanting a recruiter with a Bachelor's degree and 3-5 years of experience to work for $33K per year!?! Here in Fort Worth TX, where the cost of living is extremely low, someone with that type of experience would make at least $40 to $50K. I'm hoping that's just a cheap company and not typical of what recruiters make in the area or I may never be able to move there...lol.

Good luck in your job search If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Lisa

Old 07-31-2008, 06:08 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,518,700 times
DOC ( Department Of Corrections)...in whatever field you are schooled in and, even if you have no degree...Bennies and pay dependent on your schooling also.
I don't know why some don't check into this..especially at entry level!! Hourly wages are higher than all of you are quoting! JMO!

Old 08-01-2008, 01:59 PM

1,618 posts, read 5,954,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8Recruiter View Post
I can't answer for denver, but I recruit for positions all over the world, and one thing that is certain is I use monster, careerbuilder, hotjobs, and sometimes craigslist...depending on the position. I've been to national HR conferences, and from what I understand those are the standard websites that recruiters use all over the country.

We don't post a lot of our openings, we mainly source resumes that are posted. Make sure you are keeping your resume updated - meaning the last "edit date" is recent. As a recruiter, we search for when a resume was posted, and I normally start with a 1 month search and go back further if I need to..that way we get candidates who are interested now. I would recommend updating it at least once per week.

Since 1999, every job I've had except one was because I submitted my resume to a job posting or a recruiter came across my posted resume. All were on monster.com, but one was careerbuilder.

monster is the source I use the most as a recruiter because it has the most resumes to choose from. Also, if I knew what type of work you do, I might be able to direct you to a career specific site.

Also, if there are companies you are interested in working for, apply to their online sites. Don't be afraid to make calls to the recruiting department either if it's a job you really want. be sure to wait a few days to give the recruiter a chance to call you though. Also register with some of the big name temp agencies because there are companies that like to bring people on "temp to hire" so they can try someone out first.

I'm looking to move to Denver in about 2-3 years and I've been researching jobs to see how much they pay. I've noticed some that are crazy low paying jobs. I remember seeing a posting from Zip Realty wanting a recruiter with a Bachelor's degree and 3-5 years of experience to work for $33K per year!?! Here in Fort Worth TX, where the cost of living is extremely low, someone with that type of experience would make at least $40 to $50K. I'm hoping that's just a cheap company and not typical of what recruiters make in the area or I may never be able to move there...lol.

Good luck in your job search If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Lisa

Lisa - I notice the same also. It is one of those things you think "What am I willing to give-up to live in Denver?".

Even in my field of work, I can look at a 10K pay-cut and more grunt work.
Even with a degree, I know plenty that work @ Academy and getting low pay here in Austin. I asked them why stay; They say they love it here and knowing they could move to DFW or Houston and get paid much more.

Oh.... I'll take a 10K pay cut to move to Denver

Wife does not agree much so. Only way we're going to move out of here is if we get MAD equity on our home, just like the Cali residence did once they made there break out of there.

Come'on economy....

Old 08-01-2008, 02:04 PM

14,498 posts, read 22,345,330 times
Bang on the door at 7:00am on Monday morning. Oh, and bring gloves, boots, and a vehicle with a tank full of gas.

Srsly though, expand your search. I've got a friend out here who could maybe go back to Albuquerque and make a good buck but refuses to move. He will go forward from where he's at. He lost his best paying job and will probably (hopefully not) lose his home by this month. He's working for 9 something an hour and not happy with that, but I bet he'll bounce back. So will the economy.

Edit: I'm sorry. I just realized the thread is 50 years old! Wondering how Avery is doing now. So much for that bouncing back economy. It's ready to bounce any minute now... I hear Houston bragging about their economy.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:13 PM

792 posts, read 2,799,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averie-Jay View Post
What is the best method for finding jobs in Denver?
I believe from my experiences the old fashioned way. Networking, getting to meet people, pounding the pavement and really getting out there (versus sitting behing a PC sipping Latte). Headhunters to lessor extent IMO.

Quote:
Is the Denver Post the best resource?
Not sure.

Quote:
Has anyone had any luck w/ Denverjobs.com?
Excellent question. No luck at all just using it on-line. But I believe they have good workshops and seminars to just meet and network with people. Worth checking out and meeting the crew IMO.

Quote:
Are there any other websites (beyond Monster, etc.) that I should be aware of?
Maybe Dice and Yahoo hot jobs?

Old 08-01-2008, 04:38 PM

48 posts, read 170,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Lisa - I notice the same also. It is one of those things you think "What am I willing to give-up to live in Denver?".

Even in my field of work, I can look at a 10K pay-cut and more grunt work.
Even with a degree, I know plenty that work @ Academy and getting low pay here in Austin. I asked them why stay; They say they love it here and knowing they could move to DFW or Houston and get paid much more.

Oh.... I'll take a 10K pay cut to move to Denver

Wife does not agree much so. Only way we're going to move out of here is if we get MAD equity on our home, just like the Cali residence did once they made there break out of there.

Come'on economy....
Austin's home values are much better than Fort Worth, so you are lucky there. We'd have to pay $60 to 80K more for a smaller house but in a good area up there. Luckily, we do have equity in our house...nothing compared to CA though.

I'm hoping if I work at my job long enough that they will eventually let me telecommute. I really have no need to be in the office. Most of the positions I recruit for are overseas so I do everything over the phone/email.

Well, good luck on getting up there. We are hoping to move in about 2-3 years. We have a 5 month old so no big hurry. Hopefully the market will turn around by then, but that just means that a CO home will cost more too. I just can't wait to get away from this Texas heat and have places to go to do things outside. At least you have more scenery in the Austin area.

Take care

Lisa

Old 08-02-2008, 10:21 PM

15 posts, read 24,337 times
Default Good to read - Care to share?

Quote:
I had amazingly good luck finding a job in Colorado. I was employed within 2 weeks of moving here, and was offered a salary that I'd only dreamed of making in my field. I realize not everyone has this luck, but I'm very thankful that things have worked out so well for me.

Thank you for the suggestions. Good luck with your and your husband's careers.
Hi Averie-Jay:

I have been reading posts today regarding the lifestyle and caught your note. I am just curious about your field of expertise and how you lucked out. Where did you move from and how are things going in general now? Thx.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:12 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,615,348 times
My favorite job site is Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed. It indexes a lot of the other sites (like Monster, Careerbuilder, etc., even Craigslist) so it's sort of like one-stop shopping. When I'm looking to change jobs, I usually check Indeed every day, but then look at some of the others individually a few times per week just in case I've missed something.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:33 PM

792 posts, read 2,799,619 times
Quote:
What is the best method for finding jobs in Denver?
I say with Denver the best way is "networking" in person, the old fashioned way. Job market there is a "hidden market" and solely using the internet is like trying to shoot fish in a barrel. You need to pound the pavement and go out and meet people. That's my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or