Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 10:37 PM

7 posts, read 11,580 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a student and will be moving to Anschutz Medical Campus in Jan 2014.

Looking to find an apartment in the 800-1000 $ (at least 1 BR) near Anschutz Medical Campus.I would prefer something within a 10 mile radius.Doesn't have to be anything fancy, as long as the place is safe for a college couple.I have a car but prefer short driving distances.

I see some places like The Stapleton Apartments (Dallas and E colfax St), and another at Paris St, Aurora, CO 80010.

I increasingly feel a month-month rental at one of the lesser known places or a 6 month rental at the posh 21 fitzsimmons until I figure out the place is the wisest option.

Almost all these places within my price range in Aurora seem to have terrible reviews.Roaches top the complaint list, followed by pot smoking (drug?) people, and then non English speaking neighbors/managers.

Is the place so bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 10:56 PM

55 posts, read 128,889 times
I'm having the same problem. I'm a pot smoker so having others around would actually be a big plus for me. But a lot of the reviews on lower income places mention bed bugs and that scares the crap out of me. I got bed bugs while backpacking Thailand and they practically ate me alive. I am not looking to experience that again.

My budget is under $700 a month so I'm just going to have to suck it up and rent some cheap place. What can you do. I don't think it's anything about Denver. Lower income places suck wherever you go.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:51 AM

618 posts, read 1,366,222 times
North Aurora seems like a tricky place to find an apartment rental since the area is transitioning. The neighborhoods seem to be improving, but a lot of the apartments appear to be tough. Have you checked out Copper Flats? I don't know anything about that place, but I drive by often and it seems nice enough (and really close to campus). I have some friends that checked out some apartments in Stapleton and really liked them. They are pricier---1 bed apts at Botanica Town Center and Crescent Flats start in the low 1100s --- but the neighborhood is much nicer and still very close to AMC.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:45 PM

Copper Flats seem great but sort of expensive.

Finally looking at S Parker and resigned to the fact that I will have to use the car to commute.
Any body have any positive opinions on Paris St near the anshutz campus , Aurora, CO 80010 ?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadek View Post
Hi,

I am a student and will be moving to Anschutz Medical Campus in Jan 2014.

Looking to find an apartment in the 800-1000 $ (at least 1 BR) near Anschutz Medical Campus.I would prefer something within a 10 mile radius.Doesn't have to be anything fancy, as long as the place is safe for a college couple.I have a car but prefer short driving distances.

I see some places like The Stapleton Apartments (Dallas and E colfax St), and another at Paris St, Aurora, CO 80010.

I increasingly feel a month-month rental at one of the lesser known places or a 6 month rental at the posh 21 fitzsimmons until I figure out the place is the wisest option.

Almost all these places within my price range in Aurora seem to have terrible reviews.Roaches top the complaint list, followed by pot smoking (drug?) people, and then non English speaking neighbors/managers.

Is the place so bad?
Have you looked at anything south of the medical center, say, around Alameda or Mississippi or near the Aurora Town Center Mall in the 80012 or 80013 zips?
I honestly don't know anything about any of the apartment complexes, but, there are a lot of them, and most look well-kept from the outside at least.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Any body have any positive opinions on Paris St near the anshutz campus , Aurora, CO 80010 ?
James Holmes was living in an apartment at 1690 Paris St...so maybe you can get a deep discount there.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
James Holmes was living in an apartment at 1690 Paris St...so maybe you can get a deep discount there.
How much more appealing could it get

I am not as much worried about this one fact compared to the really bad reviews about the neighborhood.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
Ha! You beat me to it!

OP, my daughter lived in an apartment just south of Anschutz on 14th Ave. The neighborhood seemed a little "down at the heels", but it was safe. She lived there alone. She left her car there for two weeks to go on a trip, and her boyfriend and we, her parents, were all going to check on it while she was gone. No one did, and the car was just fine when she got back. The James Holmes thing freaked her out, but I assured her she was safer with him in jail than before when he was just roaming the 'hood.

A bit farther south there are some nice apts. You don't even have to go 10 miles.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
How much more appealing could it get

I am not as much worried about this one fact compared to the really bad reviews about the neighborhood.
I actually frequent a taqueria near 17th & Peoria - they make great breakfast burritos (and you can get some bootleg DVDs if you are really into saving money). The neighborhood isn't that bad, it just isn't that great.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:18 PM

Thanks for all the information.
I feel a little better about looking at rentals in the area.
I plan to come down sometime during the first week of November and drive around the area before I decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver