U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 06:33 PM

20 posts, read 70,720 times

Advertisements

A couple of days ago I asked for some information on Highwoods. Either my post was lost in the wrong thread or no-one knows much about the area. Anyway, I have copied it below and added more, in the hope that someone can provide me with some feedback. Thanks.

We are planning a move back to Colorado within the next six months and are currently researching areas to buy a home. Our previous home (four years ago), was in Eastridge, Highlands Ranch. We now live back in New Zealand but are looking at living permanently back in the USA.

We're interested to know more about the Highwoods neighbourhood. It appeals to us because of the larger lot sizes, open space, and the beautiful mountain views. At least we think this to be true! We have been searching real estate sites and trying to picture the area via Google earth and Zillow.

Highwoods also appears to be in a good school district which is very important to us. We have three elementary school aged kids and would prefer to live in an area where most of the kids go to the local school. I like the idea of them being able to walk or bus there.

Also, some thoughts on the pros and cons of gated conmmunities. We have never lived in one and really don't see the need for it in Highlands Ranch, but the bigger homes on larger lots tend to be gated.

We'll be visiting in January to make final decisions about our move, so the more information we can collect before then, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 09:22 PM

4,900 posts, read 9,661,665 times
Never heard of Highwoods. Give us a clue as to where it is, please.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:20 PM

Highwoods is a development in Highlands Ranch, close to the new Backcountry subdivision.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:02 AM

320 posts, read 1,603,956 times
houses start at about 750K and most seem to be in the 1M PLUS range from what I have seem

Mc Mansion central

Old 11-14-2007, 11:18 PM

10,904 posts, read 29,386,676 times
I have resisted for a year an a half to out where I live. It is very important to me that if you read my advice, you not think I am trying to unduly influence you. (You'd be surprised how many messages I get, saying I must live in Parker or Aurora) Some folks think that a Realtor lives in the best area, sends their kids to the best schools, that if the Realtor lives somewhere else, it means there is something wrong with where you wan to live.

If you are still with me, and you don't want to know where I live....stop reading now.

I live across the gulch (Marcy Gulch) from Highwoods. I live in Stonebury. between Highwoods and Backcountry. Highwoods is newer than Falcon Hills. The houses are custom, most have pools, and walkout basements. Seems every bedroom has its own bath and fireplace.

A gated community in CO means the homeowners pay for road maintenance. Highwoods also pays for the maintenance of the "trail" that is between the Mansion Point neighborhood and Highwoods. There is also a trail between Highwoods & Stonebury - runs thru Marcy Gulch.

Kids go to Bear Canyon, Mountain Ridge & Mountain Vista.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:21 PM

55,647 posts, read 74,585,953 times
gated communities give a false sense of security. relatively easy to evade security in them and they tend to build them in marginal areas asserting that being gated will offset the surrounding area. just lost 2 young friends, they were brother and sister, because of this false assumption, cost them their lives.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:04 AM

260 posts, read 1,331,782 times
It may be difficult to find someone how knows much about the highwoods, besides a realtor, because its a relatively small set of homes and is certainly priced above what most of us can afford. One of our former neighbors (in HR) moved there recently.

I suggest viewing the homes by going to REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. and typing in .... %highwood% into the subdivision field, then click <search>. There are currently 9 properties ranging from $ 950k to $ 2.15 mil.

It was originally designed as the first "> $1 million" home subdivision in HR. That was what most of the homes sold for originally. Now days, over $2 million for some places.

The views are very good from the Highwoods. You can have a similarly great view from far-less expensive neighborhoods, like the neighborhoods around Summit View Elementary and Mansion Hills (adjacent to the highwoods). As I already mentioned in a post to you earlier, Falcon Hills is also gated and worth a look. Some of the homes in Falcon Hills have lots as big as anything in the Highwoods and for less $$.

Let me say that pretty much all the schools in HR are quite good. So I wouldn't overemphasize the schools for the highwoods being any better or worse than other areas in HR.

Bear Canyon Elementary is a good school, but technically, it offers more economic diversity (of the kids) than you would find at a school like summit view. So some kids at the highwoods will go to school with kids growing up on my starter home street, where the houses are $200k. I'm not saying thats a bad thing. One thing my wife and I lived about Castle Rock was that not every kid in town had parents making > $100k per year. Now our kids can make friends who like in mansions and modest homes alike. Some people we know drive mercedes and some have RV trailers. We like em both.

One thing I liked that they did at Summit View, was ask for donations from the parents directly. We made a donation to the school and they showed what would be purchased and why ... and we didn't have to go around selling junk (for the school) for $.10 on the dollar like most schools do. I just found that approach better and you don't end up going to work and selling junk to your co-workers ...

I think I said this earlier, but I also like the neighborhood consisting of the streets:
ridgecrest, for example:
REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=589798 - broken link)#

brettonwood, for example:
REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=536635 - broken link)#

meyerwood, for example:
REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=591556 - broken link)

You can enter any of these street names into the aforementioned search and get the current listings on these streets.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:35 PM

Thanks 2bindenver and b.adams for your replies - really appreciated. We've searched on-line, the areas you mentioned and will view homes when we visit in January. Then we'll see what feels right for our family.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:24 AM

260 posts, read 1,331,782 times
Good luck on your search.

I agree that gated communities within highlands ranch are really un-necessary.
The demographics in HR are quite favorable -- and its a well educated crowd.
I just don't know who'd you'd be keeping out, besides the kids friends, perhaps.
There isn't what I'd called any "riff raff" in the area. The folks are all nice, IMHO.

If your price range really does include the Highlwoods, just keep in mind that $1 million dollars in the front range will buy you a LOT of house for the money. Of course, anything above $600-700k is pretty much fluff, IMHO, so you better be getting: higher-quality build and finishes, more land, larger lot, better views, pools, great location ... something like that.

When I look in the more rural areas nearby Castle Rock -- there are some serious 'to die for' places for under $1 million or +- 200k of that ... with views, land, nice house. But if your looking for the overall lifestyle of convienience and amenities or less maintenance ... then HR is still a good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver