Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:14 AM

20 posts, read 35,296 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have narrowed down my upcoming move to a couple properties and since I am a young, professional female, I want to be sure that these properties are in safe areas. I am looking at a single family home in Westminster near W 72nd and Utica and the other is a duplex home near Colfax and Elizabeth. Obviously, both have their pros and cons regarding what type of setting I am looking for but my main concern is safety. If anyone is familiar with these areas and can shed some light on if they are in safe neighborhoods, I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Where is work?

Go here http://www.denvergov.org/PoliceDepar...0/Default.aspx and get the Congress Park map/data.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:37 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,400 times
Without question, I would choose the one at Colfax & Elizabeth. I live fairly near there--a few houses off Colfax a few blocks further east, and while many people act like Colfax is sketchy and scary, I just flat out disagree particularly in the area you're looking at. There will be some homeless people wandering around Colfax from time to time, and we have seen them picking through people's garbage a couple times in the alleys, but that's about it. There's a sketch looking liquor store at my corner that friends have made comments about, but its been pretty harmless. Unless the property on Westminster is closer to work, I would see very little reason to choose it.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:45 PM

Thanks so much! As I mentioned, both properties have their pros and cons. Our Denver office is in Westminster, so the property in Westminster is much closer to work and the commute will be a piece of cake. I also like the idea of having a single family home with my own yard for my dogs. However, the property at Colfax and Elizabeth looks like a much cooler area with a lot more places that I can walk to. I love the idea of being in an older home with a lot of character (that is the type of home I currently live in) and saw on the map that there is a dog park nearby that I can take the pups to. Both homes have similar rents. I am going to be coming out to Denver to see each but really am looking to ensure that neither are in a part of town that my safety will be at risk. Denver seems to be a very safe city in general, but this is a big factor in determining where I live.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:52 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default You just answered your own question

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura.jordan2 View Post
office is in Westminster, so the property in Westminster is much closer to work and the commute will be a piece of cake.
You commute 10 times each week.
You drive to restaurants, theatre, etc much less often.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,400 times
I don't know how soon you're coming to town, but well priced duplexes and SFHs fly off the rental market here. You might get lucky, but be prepared to make very quick decisions on housing.

In terms of commute, 36 backs up around Sheridan and beyond in the morning; 25 is pretty much empty heading north out of downtown. However, I do agree in most cases with living close to work. I hate commuting (but have to--my job requires travel all over the metro with nothing concentrated in one spot).

Old 08-23-2013, 01:06 PM

Thank you guys so much for your help! Since the conversation has been mostly about commuting times, I'll assume both are in safe parts of town and that that isn't a concern.

Thanks again!!

Old 08-23-2013, 02:13 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
I agree that Denver is about as safe as a big city can be. However, you might want to take a look at this site. It is one of the reasons why I wouldn't live around Colfax. I'd visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

The positive thing about living around East HS is that you have a thousand foot buffer from the marijuana shops.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:01 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
The Westminster one might be along the railroad. Denver railroads tend to be active so if your seeing a good rent that might be why. However if it doesn't bother you then you can get a good deal. To me living closer to work is always preferable. Especially if you can bike or walk to work.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:19 PM

371 posts, read 494,090 times
I'd choose the Westminster property, especially if you work there. Neither one of the areas is the greatest in town, but neither one is too bad either.

Do you have kids? If so, keep in mind that both areas have bad schools. 72nd and Utica feeds into Adams 50, which is amongst the worst districts out in the city. East Denver is only slightly better, and not even enough to actually change my decision. Go for Westminster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver