U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2007, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
75 posts, read 264,837 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
we left glendale CA for Highlands ranch in May to (renting while looking for an area to buy) and the move was relatively easy. yes, I had second thoughts, but I was able to be a sahm, breathe cleaner air, opt for private schools if I wanted rather than have to in the LA area, purchase twice the house at half the price, everyone is just sooo nice it's almost scary, etc. imho, it's a no brainer . you'll like it here. yes, you'll miss trader joes (please bring me some things okay? i'll send you a list...) oh and there's no IKEA in the state but there are other things that make living here worthwhile. I haven't looked back, though I'm still hustling trader joe products from fellow travelers...

those last min qualms are like wedding jitters-they're supposed to be there. gives you a chance to rethink the decision. give it a look-see and go with your gut.

(btw, colorado's "bad areas" aren't very bad, lol. my sis and I, both from CA, giggle at the concept).

The beer and alcohol policy needs to change in CO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2007, 03:53 PM
 
Location: So Cal
320 posts, read 1,602,192 times
Reputation: 102
Reba we are having the same thoughts we have been out love everything about Co so far but have been in So Cal our entire lives. Its scary to just up and leave everyone and everything behind. At the same time its exciting We know have the knowledge to know exactly what we want and don't want and can reinvent ourselves in an area where no one knows anything about us. We will be taking my MIL with us so the only family that matters will close, and the friends now have somewhere to go on vacation and save some money, they can all crash at our house and us at theirs when we want to come visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 03:55 PM
 
20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Reputation: 19074
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAFTERHOURS View Post
....snip...We moved to DC, and it was hell on earth which I wont elaborate on. But we bought a home and sold it at the peak so all wasnt bad...snip...
BTDT. We found it to be traffic hell, for sure, with high housing costs and not a whole lot to do.

Spent 31 years in DC metro area, in western Fairfax County, worst traffic short of L.A. or maybe Boston. Soon as we could we got out, June 2005, at the market peak. Market came to a screeching halt there in mid-August 2005.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 04:10 PM
 
19 posts, read 78,046 times
Reputation: 29
We moved out here from California two years ago. I grew up in both Northern and Southern CA, been there all my life. I came out to visit a friend in Stapleton, decided it was the perfect place to raise our kids and we moved a couple of months later. Best decision we ever made. We recently thought about moving to SE Aurora (cheaper and closer to DTC). Oddly enough, that move made me more nervous than moving from CA to Stapleton even though it's only 20 minutes away. We love it here and we always look at each other and joke, "Is the sky a little bluer here? Do the birds sing a little sweeter?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Aurora, Co
98 posts, read 319,895 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
I just returned to Southern California after 5 days in Denver, scoping out various neighborhoods. I stayed in Aurora, with my relatives, and covered southeast Aurora, Parker, Littleton, Centennial, Ken Caryl area, and Broomfield. Jobs are still not lined up, but getting a better feel for the area was the main goal.

Now that I'm home, I have mixed feelings about moving and I'm not sure why. I guess the idea of leaving everything I've ever known is frightening, even if "home" isn't really desirable any more. I need to make a list of personal pros and cons to help me out here.

I will say, however, that I saw nothing wrong with Aurora--even the northern section. Most areas were older and a bit run-down, but still fairly clean. Parker was nice, but too many developments all looked rather sterile and had a sense a "sameness". Ditto for most of southeast Aurora. The older sections of Centennial and Littleton had beautiful, well-established neighborhoods with some character. I visited Franklin elementary in Centennial, was given a tour and loved how alive it looked. I could tell that the kids are busy in an engaging way--artwork and projects line every hallway.

The flight coming into Ontario, California was disgusting. The layer of brown that we descended into was unbelievable. I also had become used to very little traffic and courteous drivers while in Denver. Coming home, I was instantly reminded of the overall rudeness and the fact that going 70mph is almost like standing still.

O.K, sorry for the ramble. Just wondering how others have made the jump and whether the adjustment period was really difficult. I feel ready for a new adventure, so what's my problem?
I completely understand how you feel. You've mirrored my same thoughts about moving. A friend of mine in Englewood was really talking up Denver to me a few months ago. We started comparing notes on cost of living in Denver vs. Las Vegas (California Part II). Needless to say I was stunned. So I went out there for 4 days. My gut reaction was that I had come home. That's a hard thing to shake, nowhere has ever made me feel that way. I was amazed at the city. Everywhere we went was so clean! The air quality...I forgot was fresh air was. I could really go on and on about how impressed I was. Then I came home. Honestly? I was in tears on the plane when I saw Vegas again. The move was decided at that point. Then a funny thing happened. I started thinking about the things I would miss, actually I struggled to think of things I would miss to talk myself out of it. Oh it would be so easy to stay here. Not take that chance. Not leave my friends and everything I've known since I was a child. Just keeping doing what I've always done, have what I've always had. Stay miserable because it's easy. I also see the hesitation in my son. More than anything I don't want him involved in this school district anymore(Nevada is ranked 49th). So I decided. I'm going to stay with a friend, buy a GPS, learn the area, get a job, make new friends and not look back! People do it every day. My parents did it, that's how I ended up here. If not for my sanity, I need to do it for my boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,886 posts, read 102,301,239 times
Reputation: 32946
Quote:
air quality...I forgot was fresh air was.
Do a google search for Denver air quality. It's not the greatest. Of course, I grew up in Pittsburgh, so it doesn't bother me. But it does bother some who come from more pristine areas. The "brown cloud" season is just beginning.

I don't mean to sound negative, after all, I've lived here 27 yrs, so I must find it OK, right? But air quality is not one of Denver's finer points.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-14-2007 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: fix quotes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 06:45 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 35,879,215 times
Reputation: 7510
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Th

Do a google search for Denver air quality. It's not the greatest. Of course, I grew up in Pittsburgh, so it doesn't bother me. But it does bother some who come from more pristine areas. The "brown cloud" season is just beginning.

I don't mean to sound negative, after all, I've lived here 27 yrs, so I must find it OK, right? But air quality is not one of Denver's finer points.
Remember where the OP is coming from. SoCal too has a brown cloud season but it lasts 12 months each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
3,940 posts, read 13,313,334 times
Reputation: 2208
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Th

Do a google search for Denver air quality. It's not the greatest. Of course, I grew up in Pittsburgh, so it doesn't bother me. But it does bother some who come from more pristine areas. The "brown cloud" season is just beginning.

I don't mean to sound negative, after all, I've lived here 27 yrs, so I must find it OK, right? But air quality is not one of Denver's finer points.
Actually, areas around Denver rank in some of the best air quality in the US. Denver itself may be bad, but I know Loveland-FoCo, Colorado Springs, and Pueblo have some great air quality grades. I know a link, but I will have to look for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Colorado
346 posts, read 1,441,008 times
Reputation: 261
Thanks everyone for your responses. By the way, I did notice a very thin layer of haze near DIA. However, the rest of the time I was there, I could see for miles. I know that Denver does get a brown cloud, but it's almost impossible to compare it to L.A., where the layer is soooo thick. It really is hard to imagine unless you've seen it. As far as the dryness in Denver goes, I did feel my nose burn when taking a deep breath (mouth closed). I also sneezed a lot. You all are making me really think about this decision, and I so appreciate the input.

Lisa--I will definitely miss Trader Joe's! I know this has already been discussed, but it is such a great place. I wonder if we can order stuff online. Will have to check into that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Ohio
3 posts, read 9,715 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
I just returned to Southern California after 5 days in Denver, scoping out various neighborhoods. I stayed in Aurora, with my relatives, and covered southeast Aurora, Parker, Littleton, Centennial, Ken Caryl area, and Broomfield. Jobs are still not lined up, but getting a better feel for the area was the main goal.

Now that I'm home, I have mixed feelings about moving and I'm not sure why. I guess the idea of leaving everything I've ever known is frightening, even if "home" isn't really desirable any more. I need to make a list of personal pros and cons to help me out here.

I will say, however, that I saw nothing wrong with Aurora--even the northern section. Most areas were older and a bit run-down, but still fairly clean. Parker was nice, but too many developments all looked rather sterile and had a sense a "sameness". Ditto for most of southeast Aurora. The older sections of Centennial and Littleton had beautiful, well-established neighborhoods with some character. I visited Franklin elementary in Centennial, was given a tour and loved how alive it looked. I could tell that the kids are busy in an engaging way--artwork and projects line every hallway.

The flight coming into Ontario, California was disgusting. The layer of brown that we descended into was unbelievable. I also had become used to very little traffic and courteous drivers while in Denver. Coming home, I was instantly reminded of the overall rudeness and the fact that going 70mph is almost like standing still.

O.K, sorry for the ramble. Just wondering how others have made the jump and whether the adjustment period was really difficult. I feel ready for a new adventure, so what's my problem?
Same here! I have lived in Ohio all of my life. I love this part of Ohio (rolling hills and farmland, nice scenery in autumn, etc), but I have wanted to move to Denver for 2 years now. I finally sold my house three weeks ago and am going to Denver nov. 29 to dec. 6th to look at apartments and drop my resume at some corps. Just because you want something doesn't mean you will won't be nervous about such a huge life change. My hands are sweating just thinking about it now.......but I can't wait!! I'm moving to DENVER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top