Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:59 PM

346 posts, read 1,563,964 times

Advertisements

I just returned to Southern California after 5 days in Denver, scoping out various neighborhoods. I stayed in Aurora, with my relatives, and covered southeast Aurora, Parker, Littleton, Centennial, Ken Caryl area, and Broomfield. Jobs are still not lined up, but getting a better feel for the area was the main goal.

Now that I'm home, I have mixed feelings about moving and I'm not sure why. I guess the idea of leaving everything I've ever known is frightening, even if "home" isn't really desirable any more. I need to make a list of personal pros and cons to help me out here.

I will say, however, that I saw nothing wrong with Aurora--even the northern section. Most areas were older and a bit run-down, but still fairly clean. Parker was nice, but too many developments all looked rather sterile and had a sense a "sameness". Ditto for most of southeast Aurora. The older sections of Centennial and Littleton had beautiful, well-established neighborhoods with some character. I visited Franklin elementary in Centennial, was given a tour and loved how alive it looked. I could tell that the kids are busy in an engaging way--artwork and projects line every hallway.

The flight coming into Ontario, California was disgusting. The layer of brown that we descended into was unbelievable. I also had become used to very little traffic and courteous drivers while in Denver. Coming home, I was instantly reminded of the overall rudeness and the fact that going 70mph is almost like standing still.

O.K, sorry for the ramble. Just wondering how others have made the jump and whether the adjustment period was really difficult. I feel ready for a new adventure, so what's my problem?

Last edited by rebagirl; 11-14-2007 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 01:21 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,371,535 times
I'm a life long OC resident and had the same experience in Denver. It really is amazing how quickly you get used to Denver's lighter traffic and how awful our traffic and air look after a few days away from it. I know what you mean about it being frightening to leave SoCal eve if you don't want to be here anymore. Its the devil you know vs. the unknown. My wife and I have been to Denver twice (May and July) and really liked the area. We're going back in February to get a taste of the cold and continue to familiarize ourselves with things. Hopefully by this time next year we'll make the move.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,086,827 times
We left Fresno and its layer of brown haze in May for Highlands Ranch. Leaving family, friends, and the only home I'd ever known was difficult, of course, but it is soooo nice here. We really like it. The main "pro" is that I get to stay home with the kids for a few years after being a working mom for 4 years. I get to see the mountains every day, and we get to breathe relatively clean air!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I'm a life long OC resident and had the same experience in Denver. It really is amazing how quickly you get used to Denver's lighter traffic and how awful our traffic and air look after a few days away from it. I know what you mean about it being frightening to leave SoCal eve if you don't want to be here anymore. Its the devil you know vs. the unknown. My wife and I have been to Denver twice (May and July) and really liked the area. We're going back in February to get a taste of the cold and continue to familiarize ourselves with things. Hopefully by this time next year we'll make the move.
Thanks for making me feel less alone as I make one of the biggest decisions of my life. My husband visited last February and due to the unusual winter, the entire area was white. He thought it was absolutely beautiful. I've been to the area 4 or 5 times now, and have always loved it. But it still doesn't completely take away the scariness of starting all over.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:45 PM

26,154 posts, read 48,849,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
Thanks for making me feel less alone as I make one of the biggest decisions of my life. My husband visited last February and due to the unusual winter, the entire area was white. He thought it was absolutely beautiful. I've been to the area 4 or 5 times now, and have always loved it. But it still doesn't completely take away the scariness of starting all over.
Millions move every year, you aren't alone, it's a chore, but an exciting time. New stuff, new places, new friends. New is good!

We came in from the DC area. Left it all behind. Toodles, buh-bye, ta-ta.

You're not starting over, you're moving up!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
We left Fresno and its layer of brown haze in May for Highlands Ranch. Leaving family, friends, and the only home I'd ever known was difficult, of course, but it is soooo nice here. We really like it. The main "pro" is that I get to stay home with the kids for a few years after being a working mom for 4 years. I get to see the mountains every day, and we get to breathe relatively clean air!
This is very encouraging--thanks! I hope to also stay home for at least another year with the kids. And I do want to be able to breathe clean air and see the mountains. (Our mountains here are so close, and yet they're almost always hazy-looking, or worse yet--invisible!)

Old 11-14-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Millions move every year, you aren't alone, it's a chore, but an exciting time. New stuff, new places, new friends. New is good!

We came in from the DC area. Left it all behind. Toodles, buh-bye, ta-ta.

You're not starting over, you're moving up!
Mike, you're awesome. Thanks for helping to put things in perspective.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:58 PM

65 posts, read 215,959 times
We are in the same boat Rebagirl. Me and my wife are moving next summer to the Denver area. I was born and raised in Omaha Ne for all of my life. And my wife has split time with Toledo Oh and Omaha. But we will be both leaving our entire families to move for our own lives. Which is my point, we need something else in our lives that we cant get here in Omaha. A new beginning and new adventures.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:10 PM

75 posts, read 290,339 times
My perspective since I have moved to three large cities since 1999.

Graduated college (St Bonaventure 1998 Dec grad) and decided to take a job in Los Angeles. Moved with a friend from High school. Lived there three years, met my wife to be and we moved to San Diego (where she lived). After our wedding, i was still working in LA so we decided to make a move to the east coast, so I could secure a better job and we could afford a home.

We moved to DC, and it was hell on earth which I wont elaborate on. But we bought a home and sold it at the peak so all wasnt bad. Wife got transferred back to San Diego in March 2006.

Our first child arrived in March of this year and now we are considering moving again (to denver in 2008) for a few reasons which I will summarize.

California has some of the highest taxes in the country. If you make over 40K, your income tax rate is 9.3%! In San Diego county, unless you buy a home over 20 years old, you will get smacked with MELLO Roos and possibly HOAs, which pretty much runs property taxes at 1.9%. Add to that the sales tax is incredibly high at 7-8% (more in some areas). So after you take all of that out, then you get to worry about where to spend it to get the best quality of life. Like you mentioned, California population wont be decreasing or stabilizing anytime soon. The air quality in SD is better than LA and the surrounding area but with population growth comes consequences.

So in summary, Its tough to move on and start fresh but having done it many times, its not too hard to do as long as you have an open mind. From what I hear and read on this board, Denver peeps are very open and friendly. Your quality of life cant go anywhere but up.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:15 PM

357 posts, read 1,284,159 times
we left glendale CA for Highlands ranch in May to (renting while looking for an area to buy) and the move was relatively easy. yes, I had second thoughts, but I was able to be a sahm, breathe cleaner air, opt for private schools if I wanted rather than have to in the LA area, purchase twice the house at half the price, everyone is just sooo nice it's almost scary, etc. imho, it's a no brainer . you'll like it here. yes, you'll miss trader joes (please bring me some things okay? i'll send you a list...) oh and there's no IKEA in the state but there are other things that make living here worthwhile. I haven't looked back, though I'm still hustling trader joe products from fellow travelers...

those last min qualms are like wedding jitters-they're supposed to be there. gives you a chance to rethink the decision. give it a look-see and go with your gut.

(btw, colorado's "bad areas" aren't very bad, lol. my sis and I, both from CA, giggle at the concept).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver