Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 03:28 PM

227 posts, read 1,353,472 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about relocation and Denver comes as a possibility.

One of the cons of Denver is it is so far from a coast. Does this drive any of you crazy?? I mean i don't go to the beach year round but i still feel comfort being in vicinity.

Also i am very into outdoor recreation. Durango is suppost to be the place to live, although it's population is only 15,000 and doesn't change much. This leads me to believe that Durango is filled with locals and more of a 'resort' town, not a town to relocate to. Do people from Denver flock to Durango for the weekend? Some info on this please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 03:54 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,322,740 times
The lack of an ocean in Denver keeps home prices down and tourists away. Is fine with me.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:01 PM

92 posts, read 364,470 times
Being far from the ocean doesn't bother me at all. I spent time in a couple of coastal cities in CA because I used to spend a lot of time at the beach and on rocky coastlines. When I go to a coast, I realize I miss it, but I'm fine when I'm not around it. Just my experience.

I can't say whether Durango is mostly locals or not (my belief is that it's not), but I do know that getting to Durango from Denver is a LONG trip. There is no direct highway there so it takes about five hours to drive, whatever route you take. I know only one person who goes there regularly (meaning more than a couple of times a year). She has family there.

But, if you do move to Denver, you can find most outdoor activities in the nearby mountains. You don't have to go as far as Durango, though the scenery there is spectacular.

One other tidbit: If you have to work and are looking to move to Durango, be aware that the job market there is tough. I looked into moving there about a decade ago. Jobs were hard to come by, the pay was low, and housing costs were pretty high relative to pay. I heard several times that at least a third of your pay is just living by the San Juans. It might be different now. But it is a beautiful area and a great town, I think.

Good luck!

Old 11-14-2007, 04:18 PM

136 posts, read 739,815 times
oh, I haven't go to beach once this year. Santa Cruz beach is 35min drive away.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:27 PM

68 posts, read 361,314 times
Default I live at the coast now, but miss the mtns.

I had always believed myself to be a beach person stuck in mountain country. We even moved to the coast because I am writing a book series set in the coast and my husband has always been such a beach lover. So it seemed perfect. But, I have been really homesick for the mtns. the entire time we've been here. We also have found that living on the coast has actually lessened our interest in going to the beach. We have literally only been to the beach once a year since being here. Sure we work at the beach and after dinner sometimes we walk on the beach but, as far as loading all the goodies up and going to the beach- we do that once a year. Think about it when you don't live at the beach- when you go to the beach you stay at a hotel or villa right on the beach and you don't have to mess w/ dragging everything there. I keep telling everybody here that I would spend more time at the beach when I lived in Denver. Than I do living up the road from it. I also found that living near a beach makes it harder to decide where to go on vacation, because we start to second guess ourselves and wonder why we would go to Mexico, the caribbean etc... when we have a beach right here and what has happened to us is that we also have'nt been on as many vacations. After 4 years here, I think that I am finally able to think of places to go to and wouldn't feel bad even going on vacation to a beach area, because beach life and vacationing at the beach are definitely two different things. For me the mtns. have a much greater variety of things to do and seasons to do them. It's hard to get bored there. Durango is very isolated and if that is a concern- you might want to skip it. It's more of a 3-4 day destination place, instead of a weekend jaunt. Denver/ Boulder & the front range has tons of outdoor activities to offer anyone.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:44 PM

26,121 posts, read 48,732,001 times
Camera Girl, I know what you mean. I grew up in Baltimore and the big thing there was to flock to Ocean City, MD. Back in the day, it was the thing to do for working class families who got just 1-2 weeks of vacation time per year.

I have good memories of OC, MD, But I never understood why so many of my peers back in Charm City would jump in a car on long weekends and head to "The Ocean." They spent a fortune for ocean-front motels with musty carpets reeking of salt air, stale smoke and pets. Seems the attraction was to drink and 'get lucky' but they could do that just as well by staying home and visiting their favorite watering holes, at a fraction of the cost.

Ocean swimming is not for amateurs, and seems best if done in the FL Keys, where the water is calm, as clear as the caribbean, slopes so gently that you can wade way out from shore, and you don't have to leave the USA. Hawks Cay at Marathon, FL, mile marker 61, is fabulous, you can swim with dolphins, etc. These days I wouldn't dream of going to a beach, but that's me. BTW, we lived in the DC area for decades, never did take the White House tour.

cvanripe10: Durango is getting tons of retirees. Go the main CO Forum and use Search with keyword Durango. There's a ton of info on that area already here, using search will save you much time. It's not cheap, but sure in lovely.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:37 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,202,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanripe10 View Post
I'm thinking about relocation and Denver comes as a possibility.

One of the cons of Denver is it is so far from a coast. Does this drive any of you crazy?? I mean i don't go to the beach year round but i still feel comfort being in vicinity.

Also i am very into outdoor recreation. Durango is suppost to be the place to live, although it's population is only 15,000 and doesn't change much. This leads me to believe that Durango is filled with locals and more of a 'resort' town, not a town to relocate to. Do people from Denver flock to Durango for the weekend? Some info on this please.
It's pretty far from Durango to Denver. I don't know too many people (in fact I don't know any) who go to Durango for the weekend. People go to the closer-in mtn resorts for weekends.

If it's really important for you to be by the ocean, I would not recommend Denver.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:42 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,347,460 times
The beach???? why??? When we live on an Island, here in Denver, Colorado.

We in Denver are islanders, with the eastern shores, the rolling grasslands of the great plain. Denver butts agains the rising peaks of the vast craggy, rolling, mysterious mountains on the western shores.

We in Denver are on a remote island, the remotest large city in the continental United States. We must go thousands of miles from our shores to come to another city.

We in Denver are an island oasis in the middle of the harshness of the mountains and plains, we know the parchness of these oceans and how they can destroy the unprepared sailor, who knows not the ways of the dessert oceans of mountains and grass.

We in Denver sail into our oceans with our autocrafts, challenging the grand moutain swells and the swift currents of grasslands.

We in Denver hear that past the mountain and grassland oceans, are lands of incredible stress and unhappiness; we are happily marooned on our island.

We in Denver can take a walk on the beaches of our oceans and experience the magnitude of the grass expanse and the mightiness of the mountainous heights.

A Denver Islander

Livecontent

Old 11-14-2007, 10:01 PM

287 posts, read 499,025 times
I used to live in Oregon. I would drive to the coast to see the ocean. After about
10 minutes of standing in front of the ocean you start to get bored. The ocean as a place to visit is overrated. It would be awesome, however, to live on the ocean
and have it a part of your life.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:07 AM

20 posts, read 78,310 times
Having lived very near the ocean for most of my life, it was a different feeling at first, being landlocked in Denver.

But from the first moment we landed in Denver, I appreciated the awesome mountains. Unlike the ocean which in many places you can only see if you are close to the coastline, the mountains rise magnificently, to be seen on the horizon from almost anywhere in the Denver region.

Now, when I'm close to the ocean it gives me a better appreciation of it. Likewise, when we return to Denver I'll admire those mountains every day. (Which is why we want to find a home with mountain views!).

So, yes, living so far from the ocean can take some getting used to but for me, the mountains make up for it. Even though I'm a much better swimmer than skiier!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver