U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-17-2007, 01:27 PM
 
249 posts, read 937,033 times
Reputation: 101

Advertisements

I have found completely the opposite. I rarely run into negative, rude, grouchy people. People don't seem to be in a huge hurry or that your question is annoying. Home Depot is a great example - if you're asking an employee something and they help and walk away, the person shopping next to you will commonly share their advice or a phone number for their plumber for example. I have lived lots of places and I personally think since there are lots of people just moving here who are looking to meet new people (like you) and people have chosen to live here because they appreciate all it has to offer, they are happy to be here, appreciate the scenery, the lower prices, the better traffic, etc.. and are therefore, happy!!! and nice!

But, I live close to downtown, don't drive on the highway often (where people often seem very unhappy), and try to avoid people who are miserable.

Just my opinion!!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2007, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Menver, CO
388 posts, read 239,094 times
Reputation: 76
It is disgusting that people complain about not having a Trader Joe's, IKEA, etc. Does this really matter that much? Wow. I wouldn't mind having a great store like Trader Joe's, but it's not going to improve my life. And people seem forget that Colorado has strict alcohol laws which prohibit a store like Trader Joe's from selling alcohol above 3.2%. IMO, this is the main reason they wont come here. If you need these stores that much, move back to California!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2007, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN
355 posts, read 2,221,641 times
Reputation: 249
Of course hello-world has something negative to say! Why does that not surprise me?

I agree with kristen--I have yet to meet an unfriendly, rude person here & I've lived here 14 months now. Most people are happy & willing to help out. That is a HUGE difference from where I came from!!

If you want to meet unfriendly people who will snub you, move to Texas!! I can see why Coloradans don't like them lol
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2007, 09:16 PM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,780,481 times
Reputation: 9132
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
My family lives all over Colorado. We moved to Colorado from the east coast in 1971. We have a second generation that qualifies as "native" Coloradan but I think the tectonic social shift that Colorado along with the rest of country faces due to massive international immigration both legal and illegal renders this paradigm obsolete.

Denver has long had a reputation as notoriously unfriendly and grossly overrated. Colorado Springs is known to be even worse. Hoerver I would not apply this to the rest of the state.
Let's lay the cards on the table: the fact is that the bigger a place gets in population, and the more of that population that is "transient," the less friendly it is going to be. I have relatives who moved to southern California in the early 60's. They talked about how friendly it was when they moved there, and how--when it got overrun with growth--it ceased being very friendly at all.

The Denver I grow up in 40+ years ago was a very friendly town. It's still more friendly than most big cities, but nothing like it used to be. Same with Colorado Springs. Even Grand Junction isn't the warm fuzzy small town type of place that it used to be. Growth can have a big price--and the loss of friendliness and a sense of community are a couple of things that often get sacrificed. Humans are just like most any other animal. You get too many of 'em piled up together in one place, and pretty soon they are starting to snap at each other and fight. Civility loses out. It's nature.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2007, 08:34 PM
 
1,267 posts, read 3,031,407 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenfromdenver View Post
I have found completely the opposite. I rarely run into negative, rude, grouchy people. People don't seem to be in a huge hurry or that your question is annoying. Home Depot is a great example - if you're asking an employee something and they help and walk away, the person shopping next to you will commonly share their advice or a phone number for their plumber for example. I have lived lots of places and I personally think since there are lots of people just moving here who are looking to meet new people (like you) and people have chosen to live here because they appreciate all it has to offer, they are happy to be here, appreciate the scenery, the lower prices, the better traffic, etc.. and are therefore, happy!!! and nice!

But, I live close to downtown, don't drive on the highway often (where people often seem very unhappy), and try to avoid people who are miserable.

Just my opinion!!
you don't think it could have anything to do with gender (ratios), surface appearances, etc.?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2007, 08:39 PM
 
1,267 posts, read 3,031,407 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Let's lay the cards on the table: the fact is that the bigger a place gets in population, and the more of that population that is "transient," the less friendly it is going to be. I have relatives who moved to southern California in the early 60's. They talked about how friendly it was when they moved there, and how--when it got overrun with growth--it ceased being very friendly at all.

The Denver I grow up in 40+ years ago was a very friendly town. It's still more friendly than most big cities, but nothing like it used to be. Same with Colorado Springs. Even Grand Junction isn't the warm fuzzy small town type of place that it used to be. Growth can have a big price--and the loss of friendliness and a sense of community are a couple of things that often get sacrificed. Humans are just like most any other animal. You get too many of 'em piled up together in one place, and pretty soon they are starting to snap at each other and fight. Civility loses out. It's nature.
i think you're right in many respects. yet, i have lived in some transient places that exibit a different character - call it "friendly", "engaging", more curious about differences than wary of them, or whatever. not that denver folks are plain or outright "rude" or "unfriendly" (in my opinion), but there is something in the culture of it that can be felt - something that, if people call it "unfriendly", i might not totally agree with that, i would say they are sensing SOMEthing that is there, and something that has a bit to do with some things you mention here as well as some things that are particular to the region or so it seems to me.

again, to me, it's a good place with many good people in many ways, though there is something to what some folks have posted here concerning the "distance" or whatever it's called.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2007, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,883 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Reputation: 32946
I would agree with hello-world. I came here from Champaign, IL, another town not noted for its friendlines, due, I think, to being a college town with lots of transients. Still, I found something "different" here. It's hard to put your finger on it. People are quite friendly one on one, but they don't talk to you as much in the stores, in line at the post office, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2007, 06:22 AM
 
1,267 posts, read 3,031,407 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-to-CO View Post
Of course hello-world has something negative to say! Why does that not surprise me?

I agree with kristen--I have yet to meet an unfriendly, rude person here & I've lived here 14 months now. Most people are happy & willing to help out. That is a HUGE difference from where I came from!!

If you want to meet unfriendly people who will snub you, move to Texas!! I can see why Coloradans don't like them lol
while i can understand how it might sound negative to you, i simply call it as i see it. and obviously i'm not the only one to have noticed some of it. i, for one, may not have quite recognized what i was seeing in my first 14 months here, and it may have a bit to do with some qualities in how a person presents themselves to people here, a bit with gender, a bit with whether you tend to even notice these kinds of things (we all notice different things, afterall), etc.. anyhow, i do think it's a decent place, but i can see how some of the "reserved" or "clique-ish" or whatever shows through for as many people as it seems to.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2007, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
It is disgusting that people complain about not having a Trader Joe's, IKEA, etc. Does this really matter that much? Wow. I wouldn't mind having a great store like Trader Joe's, but it's not going to improve my life. And people seem forget that Colorado has strict alcohol laws which prohibit a store like Trader Joe's from selling alcohol above 3.2%. IMO, this is the main reason they wont come here. If you need these stores that much, move back to California!
Actually, that wouldn't prohibit TJs from coming here. I travel to Philadelphia often for work and always stock up on nuts at a TJs there. Due to Pennsylvania's strict liquor laws, TJs sells no alcohol in their PA stores.

No Trader Joes didn't keep my from moving here, but I still miss it! If you've never shopped at one, you wouldn't understand the "cult following". Healthy, great food at low prices in a fun atmosphere. We used to get about 80% of our food from TJs. The prices are amazing. For instance, a big bag of raw almonds at TJs is $3.99. The same amount at any other grocery store would be around $9.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2007, 09:09 AM
 
2,755 posts, read 11,740,559 times
Reputation: 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Actually, that wouldn't prohibit TJs from coming here. I travel to Philadelphia often for work and always stock up on nuts at a TJs there. Due to Pennsylvania's strict liquor laws, TJs sells no alcohol in their PA stores.
Alcohol is certainly a factor, but I think the word is that TJ's and Ikea both heavily rely on imports (which arrive by container ship), so our inland location apparently makes it difficult to get their products to market here in a cost effective way from their coastal distribution centers. However, Ikea apparently recently opened a store in suburban SLC, so they are moving our direction. I'm sure it's a matter of time before we see both chains in our area. Denver is too big a market for them to ignore forever.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top