Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:35 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times

Advertisements

I agree with the suggestion to look at Littleton. They have a cute little downtown with some shops, restaurants, etc, and depending on where you are in Littleton, you'd still be fairly close to downtown Denver. Littleton has its generic and bland shopping centers and whatnot, but there are some well established areas that don't have that strip mall feeling that a lot of newer suburbs have.

Denver has been expensive ever since I arrived here 9 years ago, but it seems to have gotten much worse over the past couple years. People are flocking here in droves, which is driving up real estate prices. I am actually moving to Chicago next month. Although the cost of living there is slightly higher than Denver, salaries there are much higher, so I feel like it's a much better place to get ahead.

Denver is a great city, and if you like a more urban city feel, I think you'll like Denver much more than Phoenix. Just be prepared for the sticker shock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 11:56 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
I have some new neighbors who just moved here from Phoenix a couple weeks ago. I was over at their house last night asking them about their impressions so far.

-Love the weather so far. He was laughing about us complaining about the 95 degree days this week.
- He can't get over Wash Park. He said he can't believe that such a nice place is there for everyone to enjoy for free.
- Immense sticker shock as far as housing goes. He wants to buy a place in Wash Park, Hilltop or Congress Park. He said the thought of spending $600K+ for a house that needs a lot of work is a bit mind boggling.
- He works downtown and is riding his bike to work everyday. He said that he could not do that in Phoenix. He is riding to dinner with his wife and kids and walking to the grocery store. All things he couldn't do in Phoenix.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:38 PM

63 posts, read 113,505 times
Very interesting observation, SkyDog! I must remember, too, that my impressions of Colorado were not only pre-kids but it was before I moved to Phoenix...on top of the fact that I was last there 12 years ago or so. Looks like we are taking a quick trip up this weekend to check it out. downtownola, I do remember Littleton being nice but I was entranced by the Park Meadows Mall. I've grown a little since then so in hindsight I thought it was maybe utter suburbia, but I'll give it another shot!

Old 08-30-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyMama2 View Post
Very interesting observation, SkyDog! I must remember, too, that my impressions of Colorado were not only pre-kids but it was before I moved to Phoenix...on top of the fact that I was last there 12 years ago or so. Looks like we are taking a quick trip up this weekend to check it out. downtownola, I do remember Littleton being nice but I was entranced by the Park Meadows Mall. I've grown a little since then so in hindsight I thought it was maybe utter suburbia, but I'll give it another shot!
Littleton and Englewood would both be worth checking out n your trip, but definitely drive around Wash Park, Highland, and Downtown while you are here.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:13 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Littleton and Englewood would both be worth checking out n your trip, but definitely drive around Wash Park, Highland, and Downtown while you are here.
When I was in Denver last, I really liked Wash Park, Downtown and Cherry Creek. However, I was a bit underwhelmed by Highland. It seemed to be a bit more gritty than I had expected.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
When I was in Denver last, I really liked Wash Park, Downtown and Cherry Creek. However, I was a bit underwhelmed by Highland. It seemed to be a bit more gritty than I had expected.
I get that, but I think that's part of the appeal for a lot of people. It is also keeping prices a little bit lower there than Wash Park or Cherry Creek.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:58 PM

369 posts, read 966,099 times
Quote:
Check out Platt Street in downtown with the pedestrian bridge over to Highlands. That whole area has changed quite a bit in the last few years.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:04 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default True, but...

Quote:
In mid-2011, we moved from Bonnie Brae to Berkeley.

Let's start with: Bonnie Brae has always been mid to upscale since it began in 1920. I think it is now, just upscale. Scrapers start at $500K. This is a relatively static neighborhood.

Berkeley began in 1890 at the end of the street car line. Then, in the 70s-90s, Latino gangs made it quite gritty. I do have a neighbor with a toilet bowl in the front yard, so it is not Wash Park. And another neighbor sits in his barcalounger and drinks tallboys. So, some gritty remains.
But, Berkeley is changing at 100 mph. Our duplex has been joined by 3 others literally next door. The city spent $6M on Tennyson Street, Chávez Park and Berkeley Park improvements. There are many kids in their Bob strollers seen on the sidewalks. The average price a duplex side has increased by 20% in 2 years. Scrapers (for duplex lots) have gone from $180K to $320K in 2.5 years.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:38 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denver_hacker View Post
Check out Platt Street in downtown with the pedestrian bridge over to Highlands. That whole area has changed quite a bit in the last few years.
Yes, I walked over that bridge. That's a very nice neighborhood, but I thought it got a lot worse when I went 2 blocks further into Highlands. May not be a bad place to be young and single, but I'm not sure if its somewhere I'd like to raise a family.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:21 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Go west, young man, go west

Quote:
Yes, I walked over that bridge. ...I went 2 blocks further into Highlands.
1. Highland and not Highlands.
2. Walk further west into West Highland (west of Federal) and not gritty at all.
3. Two blocks does not a neighborhood make. When we decided to move into Bonnie Brae in 1985, we walked every block twice--and took notes. We did a similar activity when we moved into Berkeley (bullet-proof vest no longer required) in 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver