Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:26 PM

558 posts, read 337,945 times

Advertisements

How long does it take to get used to Colorado mountain driving? We just came back from a Denver to Grand Lake trip. Chickened out on taking Berthoud Pass or Trail Ridge Road, so we took the Silverthorne to Kremmeling route. Half hour longer, but it was worth it to see the train going through Byers Canyon, it must have taken someone an entire day to put that track in there.

Being a hiker, it’s not the heights that bother me, it was driving from Silverthorne back to Denver overlooking Georgetown and the traffic is flying, maybe the Fast And Furious gang was training for their next movie. Being a software writer, my focus is always on what is the worst possible scenario, which on that stretch….

I know everyone is different and we can get used to anything if we do it enough times, so how did you get used to driving next to 1,000 foot treeless drop-offs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 06:37 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
In this case the worst possible thing you could do is NOT travel with the rest of the traffic...if you're being a slow poke you are the most dangerous thing on the road.

It's speed VARIANCE that causes the deadliest accidents.

There is no standard learning curve...you should know that.
Some take to mountain driving first time....all the way through there being people whom will never "get it".

Old 09-13-2013, 08:32 PM

556 posts, read 1,199,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
In this case the worst possible thing you could do is NOT travel with the rest of the traffic...if you're being a slow poke you are the most dangerous thing on the road.
Not true. If you are not comfortable with road conditions there is no problem with SLOWING DOWN.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:41 PM

You can't deny the evidence!

It's the speed VARIANCE that is deadly!

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...ient=firefox-a

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/...inter00%20.pdf

Speed Kills, But on Interstates, Speed Variance Is More Deadly - News Center

Old 09-14-2013, 10:26 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Toughen up

My late father-in-law drove this with one hand on the steering wheel and the other holding a movie camera.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:21 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Oh, you're talking about driving on modernly engineered, paved roads with shoulders and guard railing that just happen to be in the mountains? I don't mean this to be rude, but it should take you about 5 minutes to get over any fear of driving on them. They're normal (albeit a little twisty) roads that just happen to be in the mountains.

When I clicked on this thread, I thought it was going to be about this kind of mountain driving:

Old 09-14-2013, 11:34 AM

At the very least someone caught driving in the mountains that is scared of it should stay in the far right lane with the truckers...and never drive in them again, because they are a danger to everyone else.

Have someone else drive or go around.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:52 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,043,391 times
I actually understand what you mean, I'm still more comfortable with my husband driving in the mountains, after 2.5 years in Colorado. I don't know about Berthoud pass, never having taken it myself, but what's to worry about on a Trail Ridge road, in summer? The biggest danger there are drivers looking around and sudden wildlife jams, when people stop in the middle of the road to photograph an elk. Even I drove that one!
To answer your question - I'm not the most courageous driver, but it took me several trips to get used to mountain driving, if you mean winding paved roads. Just be alert at all times, and you should be able to drive close to speed limit, as long as the road is dry. Slow down a little, if it's raining and wet. Obey recommended speed on turns. Once in a while, somebody will still pass you in the passing lane or in the oncoming traffic lane, if they can. Pay no attention to it, and slow down a little, to let them pass sooner.
What kind of vehicle do you have? If you are in a rear-wheel drive high profile pick up truck, you may consider switching to an AWD or just FWD sedan. I don't think 4WD is an answer to everything. Frankly, I feel more comfortable in my FWD little compact sedan, than in our family AWD big cross-over, unless, of course, I have to drive through 3 feet of water, like I had to on Wednesday night in Boulder.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:00 PM

^^^ If you drove through that much water, you best get to a mechanic and make sure n one of your axles, bearings or other components got waterlogged or washed of essential lubricants.

It all depends on what your vehicle is, types of seals and bearings, how long the components were submerged and the age of all of those seals and bearings.

Most newer cars are pretty well sealed, but age can change that.

Car parts are meant to resist water but most are not designed to be submerged.

Otherwise good advice, the worst thing to can do is be a hazard to other drivers.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:34 AM

399 posts, read 816,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
How long does it take to get used to Colorado mountain driving? We just came back from a Denver to Grand Lake trip. Chickened out on taking Berthoud Pass or Trail Ridge Road, so we took the Silverthorne to Kremmeling route. Half hour longer, but it was worth it to see the train going through Byers Canyon, it must have taken someone an entire day to put that track in there.

Being a hiker, it’s not the heights that bother me, it was driving from Silverthorne back to Denver overlooking Georgetown and the traffic is flying, maybe the Fast And Furious gang was training for their next movie. Being a software writer, my focus is always on what is the worst possible scenario, which on that stretch….

I know everyone is different and we can get used to anything if we do it enough times, so how did you get used to driving next to 1,000 foot treeless drop-offs?
Ahahaha, you should see the traffic when it snows and what speed everyone is still going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver