U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 11:07 AM

1,141 posts, read 931,700 times

Advertisements

The house I'm buying in Littleton near Southwest Plaza mall has quite a few things to repair/replace.
1. Some parts of roof never had gutters (two sections of around 10 feet) so when it rains hard, water slams on lower level roof/window and has some window trims/wood panels damaged.
-->Need gutters and fix wood panels around the windows.

2. Some windows fog, some have loose weather seal, some missing screens, some screens have holes, some have broken locks, some have bad plastic trims.
None of them are broken though.
-->Need to at least re-trim/re-seal or replace few windows.
-->Need few new locks.
-->Need new plastic trims on few windows.
-->Replace/add window screens.

3. Screen door of the Sliding door on the back is really flimsy.
-->Need replacement.

4. Master bathroom's mirror is cracked on one side.
-->It's a huge mirror and replacement will be over $500.
If there is a way to cut around a feet on the cracked side, it'll still be big and usable.
Who does that kind of cutting?

5. GFCI outlet in kitchen doesn't shut off when shorted.
-->Need new GFCI outlet.
I'm thinking I can do that myself. I have experience in electronics but not electrics so hopefully won't be too difficult once I shut the main breaker off.

6. Exterior paint/caulk.
-->Not bad currently but it's 20 years old so need to do it soon.

7. Interior paint.
-->Will hire a painter for main level and staircase area that's hard to reach.
-->Will paint bedrooms/bathrooms ourselves later.

8. New carpet.
-->Does anyone know where can I get best price on this?
Homedepot has some promotions for free installations if purchased carpet for more than 3 or 4 rooms.
I used online estimator and for around 1500 sq. ft. with cheap $.99/sq. ft. carpet/pad, it came around $2500. So anything of better quality will be expensive.
Are there any outlet stores or stores that have leftovers from previous year etc... who sell/install carpet cheaper than Homedepot?

9. Firewall from garage to house has multiple holes all over from hanging tools like hoe, shovel, rake etc...
-->Can I fix/patch them myself?

10. Kitchen vinyl couptertops are old and has few chips and sink is ugly white.
-->Need new tile or granite countertops and stainless steel sink.
Hope the same insinkerator works with new sink.

11. Kitchen island is in a bad place. It makes the whole kitchen too narrow as there is not much space between the island and countertops.
-->Need to move the island from middle to the window side and needs new tops on it as well.
It has two electric outlets.
-->When island is moved, kitchen floor will be messed up so need a new pergo or tile or hardwood floor.

12. Wood deck on the back needs power wash and paint.
-->I'll do that myself later.

13. Few trees brush against the house and need trimming.
-->Will hire professional for the tall ones and trim short ones myself.

14. There is about 25 feet of fence missing on the neighbor's side.
-->Seller is in good terms with neighbor so never fixed it after storm damaged that section.
Not sure how much it will cost.

15. Furnace is working but 20 yrs old and about end of it's life.
16. No air conditioner so need to install one before next summer.
17. One bedroom six-panel door needs replacement but that's cheap I think around $70.
18. Replace locks/keys on the front door and garage door as a safety measure.

Plumbing is polybutylene inside the house and I have a separate thread for that.

Man, that's quite a long list to fix so need to be little more careful on what I spend as it'll add up quickly.
Hope that is all.
Any suggestion, information of handyman/professionals who don't cost an arm or leg is highly appreciated.
Thanks all.

Last edited by Mystery123; 09-20-2013 at 11:40 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 11:15 AM

2,395 posts, read 4,167,329 times
No offense but that's a lot of major stuff, are you sure you want to buy that house? It'll probably only be cost effective if you're getting a real steal on the house?

Old 09-20-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
No offense but that's a lot of major stuff, are you sure you want to buy that house? It'll probably only be cost effective if you're getting a real steal on the house?
Yes.
Housing market is pretty hot nowadays and I'm thinking around $20k will cover everything mentioned here.
Major expenses are replacing pipe and carpet, painting inside/outside and fixing/replacing windows.

Others are not that high and some don't need repair like kitchen countertops/moving island. That is just our preference as it's perfectly usable as is.
Not sure about fence.

With $20k added, it'll be still somewhat a good price thus the reason to buy it.
And after these repairs, it will be good for another 10-20 years so peace of mind.

Also need to buy washer/dryer and refrigerator but that's not repair so that's outside $20k guesstimate.
Thanks

Edit: My real estate agent compared sales of similar size/age houses and they all were around $30k-$40k more than what my offer is which is around what county assessor assessed.

Jefferson County Assessor: $214k for 2013, $223k for 2012.
Zillow zestimate: $248k
Valuemap Estimates: $258k - $260k

Also, I'm tired of looking houses since last 3 months.

Last edited by Mystery123; 09-20-2013 at 11:49 AM..

Old 09-20-2013, 11:30 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,099,279 times
$20k is very optimistic for that list.
Prices will go up and availability of skilled labor will be difficult with all the flood damage.
Part of your problem is you need almost every trade from carpenters to electricians to HVAC to plumber to cabinet to countertop/tile.
No way to cut a large mirror in place.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
$20k is very optimistic for that list.
Prices will go up and availability of skilled labor will be difficult with all the flood damage.
Part of your problem is you need almost every trade from carpenters to electricians to HVAC to plumber to cabinet to countertop/tile.
No way to cut a large mirror in place.
Hmm... ya that flood damage may affect few things.
Well I don't have to do everything at once.
Immediate ones are the pipes, interior paint, carpet and windows.
Depending upon what window repair/replacement costs, this will be under 12k.
$2500 for pipes.
$1500 for interior paint.
$2500-$4500 for carpet.
$3500 for windows.

All others can wait.
Well if I really want, I can just have the carpet cleaned and paint interior myself later.
So that will leave only pipe replacement and windows repair/replacement as immediate but carpet is kinda flat so definitely needs replacement.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:12 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,274,712 times
I'm thinking your looking at $50K-$60K to do everything on the list. I suggest passing on this house and finding something in better shape. When there is this much wrong there will be things you don't see on the surface. Your looking at a very neglected house. My pricing is about 20 yrs old but I did almost all of what you are facing on an older house so here are my guestimates.

1. Some parts of roof never had gutters (two sections of around 10 feet) so when it rains hard, water slams on lower level roof/window and has some window trims/wood panels damaged.
Gutters - $1500
Fix wood - $1000 (remember there is probably rot under there)

2. Some windows fog, some have loose weather seal, some missing screens, some screens have holes, some have broken locks, some have bad plastic trims.
-->Need few new locks.
Replace windows - $10K

-->Need replacement.
$100

If there is a way to cut around a feet on the cracked side, it'll still be big and usable.
$500

-->Need new GFCI outlet.
I'm thinking I can do that myself. I have experience in electronics but not electrics so hopefully won't be too difficult once I shut the main breaker off.
Can do yourself $20.

6. Exterior paint/caulk.
$4000

7. Interior paint.
$2000

8. New carpet.
Homedepot has some promotions for free installations if purchased carpet for more than 3 or 4 rooms.
I used online estimator and for around 1500 sq. ft. with cheap $.99/sq. ft. carpet/pad, it came around $2500. So anything of better quality will be expensive.
Are there any outlet stores or stores that have leftovers from previous year etc... who sell/install carpet cheaper than Homedepot?
$3000

9. Firewall from garage to house has multiple holes all over from hanging tools like hoe, shovel, rake etc...
Yes. $100

$5000

11. Kitchen island is in a bad place. It makes the whole kitchen too narrow as there is not much space between the island and countertops.
-->Need to move the island from middle to the window side and needs new tops on it as well.
-->When island is moved, kitchen floor will be messed up so need a new pergo or tile or hardwood floor.
$15000

$300 (power washer and supplies)

$500

-->Seller is in good terms with neighbor so never fixed it after storm damaged that section.
$800

$3000

$3000

17. One bedroom six-panel door needs replacement but that's cheap I think around $70.
$150

$200

Plumbing is polybutylene inside the house and I have a separate thread for that.
$3500
Drywall repair
$2000

Total= $55,670

Old 09-20-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I'm thinking your looking at $50K-$60K to do everything on the list. I suggest passing on this house and finding something in better shape. When there is this much wrong there will be things you don't see on the surface. Your looking at a very neglected house. My pricing is about 20 yrs old but I did almost all of what you are facing on an older house so here are my guestimates.

Gutters - $1500
Fix wood - $1000 (remember there is probably rot under there)

-->Need few new locks.
Replace windows - $10K

-->Need replacement.
$100

$500

-->Need new GFCI outlet.
Can do yourself $20.

6. Exterior paint/caulk.
$4000

7. Interior paint.
$2000

8. New carpet.
$3000

Yes. $100

$5000

$15000

$300 (power washer and supplies)

$500

$800

$3000

$3000

$150

$200

$3500
Drywall repair
$2000

Total= $55,670
Thanks for your insight and time mic111.

Dang!
That estimate will definitely make this house at $275k which is pretty hard to sell for as my guesstimate home value after fix is around $250k.
It is neglected I agree. Seller was trying to keep it as long as he can but finally bank moved to foreclose so he had to sell before that.

Just to mention that this house is pretty small.
Main + upstairs is only 1700 sq. ft. and basement is around 600, unfinished.
That may change few of your estimates.

Looking at your estimates, most are what I think except few things seems very high as I'm not trying to get the best available but somewhere between low to middle.

Window @ 10k. May be if all need replacement.
But I think/hope only few need replacement and others just need re-seal, re-trim, screens/locks etc.
Seller's family with two teenage boys still live there so.
Hope, hope, hope.

Gutters @ $1500. Wow, less than 20 feet + installation costs that much?
Inspection report mentioned it otherwise it is like that since last 20 years.
Wood around windows below. It's two lower panels that are damaged I think. Still look okay though.
Here is a picture that shows where gutter section needs to be installed (yellow and red area).
I think around 6 feet each.
Blue area is where wood need fix/paint.
Also, you can see the tall tree in the back that needs trimming. It's one tree and little trimming so may not cost too much.
Small tree on the front is no problem.
BTW, roof is just replace a month ago.

Back of the house.
Exterior looks pretty good but inspector mentioned to paint/caulk soon.
Quite a few windows this house has.

Kitchen @ 20k.
It's a small kitchen and I'm not looking to upgrade it to the maximum.
I can replace cheaper material for countertops and floor like granite looking vinyl or tiles or pergo instead of granite and hardwood.
I'm trying to do everything within 2k or not do anything with it.
This is where I would look for a handyman to save some costs or just use as it is.
There is nothing broken in the kitchen except fading colors on cabinets so this remodel is entirely optional.

Here is a picture:

PEX pipe replacement.
I got a quote of $2500 for full PEX replacement.
Hope drywall repair will not be $2000 as you mentioned.
That's around $1500 more than what I estimated.

Man, your estimates are scaring me.

But I'm buying the house regardless so that's not going to change.
I'm now looking to do things as cheap as possible.
Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Long list of home repairs in Littleton. How to be cost effective?-gutters-trees.png   Long list of home repairs in Littleton. How to be cost effective?-kitchen.png   Long list of home repairs in Littleton. How to be cost effective?-back-house.png  

Last edited by Mystery123; 09-20-2013 at 01:51 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 02:03 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,670,736 times
Things that can help you reduce your total bill:

Right now, you can get deals on air conditioners and furnaces if you buy together. I recently heard an ad (cannot remember for whom) that offered a free furnace when you purchased an air conditioner. You would save a couple thousand dollars that way (total cost about $4k)

I had 15 windows installed for about $10k, including a custom-built garden window and a new section of gutters to keep the water from damaging on window. DM me if you want the company. My gutters around my garage were replaced for $350 total.

Fencing you could replace yourself. It would cost about $400, assuming you are talking about a 6 ft wooden picket fence.

Replace locks - about $150 if you do it yourself. Easy to do.

Granite tile countertops are cheaper and will be remarkably similar. Each "tile" is 18" wide by 25" deep with the edges pre-finished and costs about $35 and up.

Six panel, hollow core door is about $50. You can install yourself

Old 09-20-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Things that can help you reduce your total bill:

Right now, you can get deals on air conditioners and furnaces if you buy together. I recently heard an ad (cannot remember for whom) that offered a free furnace when you purchased an air conditioner. You would save a couple thousand dollars that way (total cost about $4k)

I had 15 windows installed for about $10k, including a custom-built garden window and a new section of gutters to keep the water from damaging on window. DM me if you want the company. My gutters around my garage were replaced for $350 total.

Fencing you could replace yourself. It would cost about $400, assuming you are talking about a 6 ft wooden picket fence.

Replace locks - about $150 if you do it yourself. Easy to do.

Granite tile countertops are cheaper and will be remarkably similar. Each "tile" is 18" wide by 25" deep with the edges pre-finished and costs about $35 and up.

Six panel, hollow core door is about $50. You can install yourself
Thanks davidv!
Foggy window is the one in the kitchen that's on the back lower left side on the picture above.
That's the one with issue.
The inside white plastic trims on quite few windows are brittle and broken but windows still function fine.
Some need locks as the locks do not lock.
Looks like window can be major expense depending upon whether they need to be replaced or just repair.

Yes, fence is 6ft without any holes. I mean the planks are together so you can't see the other side.

The door is hollow core and two top panels are broken as someone tried to hang pictures there on a screw.

Edit: Just remembered another one.
19. Bathroom sinks were stamped metal and have few areas where it's showing metal so need around 5 sinks.

Last edited by Mystery123; 09-20-2013 at 03:28 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 04:05 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,274,712 times
Mystery123,

I was trying to give the worst scenario and it was off the top of my head so just a guestimate. The kitchen looks fine and serviceable so for me I wouldn't do anything there. My higher estimate on the gutters was for total replacement as if they never clean them they could be rusted through or so leaky that they can't be saved. However the house doesn't look that old so might be fine. There is a rubberized spray paint that should help you with the leaks that are probably there from lack of cleaning/maintenance.

My estimate was for whole house window replacement. Usually if they are going bad they all age at the same rate. Just depends on if some caulk will solve things or how bad they are.

Whenever I get into some home improvement project things end up costing alot more than I originally estimated or was quoted as one thing leads to another, something else comes up, something else gets damaged, some other option is really desirable/needed etc. Also for do it yourself projects I've found I spend about 2x the original amount with new tools, missteps, things I tried that didn't work etc. But who knows, it could be just me. I also tend to pick middling to bad contractors.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or