U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 04:16 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,748,106 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine swears by his Prius for Colorado mountain winter driving. After years of driving in the mountains for business in a 4WD pickup, he finally tired of the high fuel costs. Now, he uses his 4WD pickup for only those few times a year that deep snow on the roads makes a low clearance vehicle impractical. The rest of the time he uses the Prius. Typically, he would get his pickup out 3 or 4 time a winter. This past winter, the pickup sat in the garage all winter. He does put snow tires (Blizzaks, I think) on the Prius, but his winter driving is more extreme than most people would do. As for performance on the passes, he is perfectly satisfied with the Prius, and he's not a "old lady" type driver. I think he has approaching 100,000 miles on his Prius (an '06 or '07, I think) with no problems, whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 06:56 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,778,030 times
The only way you would need and AWD vehicle in Denver, would be if you frequently goto the mountains during the winter. Even during the WORST snowstorms in metro Denver, snowplows are VERY good at keeping the main streets plowed. There are plenty of Prius' driving around Denver with ease during the winter months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Wow, this is an old thread! I actually now have a Prius (didn't when I posted above) and it's the best car I've ever driven in the snow. It has traction control, which is great. I don't use snow tires, and have never had any issues driving in snow. Or the mountains. I've driven it up and over the Continental Divide without any problems. When going up/down steep inclines, you shift the Prius to "B" (not sure what that means) and it's like down shifting. But the Prius only has one speed. It had more power in the mountains than my previous 4 cyl. car.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:50 PM

13,927 posts, read 20,128,417 times
It is a Colorado State Law that every household must own at least one Subaru.
You may only own a Prius as a second car.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,293,488 times
Subaru or Jeep, I actually think now there are far more Jeeps than Subarus

Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 AM

4 posts, read 10,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

I laugh, but it's almost true.

A friend of mine from MD, now in San Antonio told me whilst driving that he swore Colorado must be sponsored by Subaru. I drove a 95 Jetta in the snow, and that wasn't a fun drive at highway speeds. You can put snows on the front and get more traction, and along with traction control it really helps, but if you absolutely suck at driving in the snow; get either 4wd or AWD. I have a 03 Impreza WRX and would never trade it for anything other than a similar or newer model. It gets about 23 highway. Not only that, but the cars are almost bulletproof. Mine is at 161k and I haven't had any major problems, but then unlike most guys my age who own the WRX through STi models, I don't race it.

I've seen quite a few more Prius cars driving around as the fuel prices increase, and most the owners whom I've spoken to about myths on those cars are perfectly happy with them.

Colorado also has strange weather patterns. It might snow super heavy one year, and almost none the next. It can also dump on you for a week, and then be clear for a month.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:13 AM

From what I can tell, most of the highest concentrations of Subarus seem to be in Boulder. The percentages are lower other places in metro Denver, but still higher than most other metro areas in the country.

I good chunk of Metro Denver (especially the burbs) is "Texanfied" with a decent amount of pickups and SUV's.

Quote:

Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 PM

99 posts, read 301,226 times
Default Subaru

Loved your comment, Dave! We have purchased a Subaru since moving to Colorado. Glad to hear that I am adhering to Colorado State Law.

Quote:

Old 06-01-2012, 06:27 PM

I dont blame you one bit. Subarus are very good in the snow, all unlikely many smaller cars, they also do quite well up in the mountains as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom View Post
Loved your comment, Dave! We have purchased a Subaru since moving to Colorado. Glad to hear that I am adhering to Colorado State Law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or