Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 02:23 PM

85 posts, read 126,688 times

Advertisements

I tried to search this, but didn't find anything.

I'm just wondering about how the culture is in Denver for married couples who choose not to have children? Are people like that accepted? Are there pockets/neighborhoods in the suburbs that are less child-oriented? Will it be difficult for us to meet other child-free couples? If we start house-searching, will everyone immediately mention the school districts?

My husband and I have no problems with children in general, we just don't want to have our own. In Wisconsin, it is pretty much a given that after marriage, you have children, and we are starting to get some flack for it. People in Wisconsin are also just so family-oriented that adults don't really hang out together much. Once you have children, it seems you stop doing things with your friends and everything is about the nuclear unit from then on. I was just wondering if Denver would be similar to that or a bit different?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 02:58 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
I think any of the urban neighborhoods that are trendy, but don't have a very highly rated elementary school are going to be awesome for you.

Remind us of your budget?

Old 09-23-2013, 02:59 PM

698 posts, read 2,046,473 times
My neighborhood is filled with families but also has child free couples, and the latter are just as accepted as anyone else and socialize freely. I've always thought Denver was a very live and let live kind of place, so don't think you will face flack for not having kids. At least I hope not--why should you? Your family configuration is no one else's business.

Most areas of Denver have kids, even the city neighborhoods. Perhaps LoDo with it's predominance of high rise housing could be said to have fewer kids, but I've seen them even there. I don't think you need to worry about school districts for resale either because according to demographic trends households without children will be the majority. So, look anywhere you like!

Old 09-23-2013, 03:10 PM

103 posts, read 291,910 times
I think people may still ask you if you plan to have/or have kids, because I think it is just natural and people are curious. I don't think you will catch flack for not having kids, though. Denver is pretty open-minded, tolerant etc. If you don't want to be completely bombarded with kids, maybe don't look in the cul-de-sac in the suburbs for your home.

I usually ask because when looking for properties for clients, that's something that usually comes up, but, I don't judge either way.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:12 PM

That is great to hear! I wish people in Wisconsin would realize it is none of their business too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Remind us of your budget?
We've never owned a home, and it's still several years away, so we haven't really started talking house budgets too much yet. I also have no idea what kind of jobs we'll be able to get in the Denver area, so that will affect it as well.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:23 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
IMO, the concept of DINKs (Dual Income, No Kids) was invented in the Denver-Boulder area ;-)

Old 09-23-2013, 10:14 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
My building is full of childless couples. I think inside the city of Denver you will find you are very common. In some of the more upscale suburbs you might be out of the normal, but not like anyone will really care.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:29 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonil View Post
I tried to search this, but didn't find anything.

I'm just wondering about how the culture is in Denver for married couples who choose not to have children? Are people like that accepted? Are there pockets/neighborhoods in the suburbs that are less child-oriented? Will it be difficult for us to meet other child-free couples? If we start house-searching, will everyone immediately mention the school districts?

My husband and I have no problems with children in general, we just don't want to have our own. In Wisconsin, it is pretty much a given that after marriage, you have children, and we are starting to get some flack for it. People in Wisconsin are also just so family-oriented that adults don't really hang out together much. Once you have children, it seems you stop doing things with your friends and everything is about the nuclear unit from then on. I was just wondering if Denver would be similar to that or a bit different?

Thanks!
We are child-free, in our 40s and have been married 10 yrs.

Yes, everyone will immediately mention school districts. And inevitably, it's a conversation topic, "So, do you have kids?" We do have kidless friends and find we are accepted whereever we go.

Here's the thing, we live in a child oriented society. It's kind of the way it is. You can't really
outrun it, unless you want to live in a retirement community. And then it's really boooorrring. With that said, I do know that certain parts of this country are a lot more kid oriented than others. Certain parts of this country are more progressive, or more conservative, more religious, or less. I think that in general, Denver is a good mix of all of the above.

We had to work to make friends, because yeah, pretty much everyone has them. But it's that way in every city we visit. And, people with kids tend to stick to others with kids, it's just easier for them and it makes sense for them to all hang out and have their kids bond. It's hard for them to hang with us when they have to find a sitter, or a child appropriate restaurant, you know?
Come to Denver! You'll like it.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:06 AM

Thanks everyone for the comments! This is very encouraging! :-)

Old 09-24-2013, 08:29 AM

322 posts, read 524,868 times
There are plenty of areas in Denver where DINKS are welcome. We live in Stapleton, which has a reputation as being very family oriented. However, our block has 15 houses - 4 w/ kids, 8 DINKS, and 3 empty-nesters. While the empty nesters (on our block) tend to be less social, the DINKS and the parents socialize regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: