Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 01:17 PM

7 posts, read 13,148 times

Advertisements

I've been reading about Denver being the city with the biggest Mongolian population...my boyfriend is Mongolian/Russian, he was adopted when he was 8 from Russia & we would like to learn more about his heritage. We are visiting Denver soon & would like to know where to go. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 02:06 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
There's this Mongolian BBQ restaurant, and at least 1 or 2 others, in Denver. There are usually a lot of asian-looking people working/dining in there, but I can't tell if they're actually Mongolian just by looking. You might try askign the guys behind the grill, because I get the feeling that they ARE Mongolian,, but they're usually not to chatty.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:24 PM

42 posts, read 89,632 times
Not sure if this helps, but the Buddhist spiritual leader of the Kalmyk people (from Mongolia and many other Russian provinces), Erdne Ombadykow, lives in Erie Colorado. He is known as Telo Tulku Rinpoche by the Kalmyk people. Additionally thier is the MCAC (Mongolian Community Association of Colorado that has a website Mongolian Community Association of Colorado (MCAC) - Home

I think they even have a school for the Mongol language and heritage. They have a facebook page too. The westword did a good article on the Mongol community back in 2006 Mongol Mania

Old 10-01-2013, 03:50 PM

83 posts, read 150,372 times
I have read that Mongols feel at home in Denver at least from a geography and climate standpoint. They come from high altitude plains in northern Mongolia (steppe) that abut fairly dry, cold mountains along the Russian border.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:33 PM

324 posts, read 654,967 times
I am kalmyk.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennny View Post
Not sure if this helps, but the Buddhist spiritual leader of the Kalmyk people (from Mongolia and many other Russian provinces), Erdne Ombadykow, lives in Erie Colorado. He is known as Telo Tulku Rinpoche by the Kalmyk people. Additionally thier is the MCAC (Mongolian Community Association of Colorado that has a website Mongolian Community Association of Colorado (MCAC) - Home

I think they even have a school for the Mongol language and heritage. They have a facebook page too. The westword did a good article on the Mongol community back in 2006 Mongol Mania
Thank you this did help. I am interested in anything that will help us find out where he is from, he was too young to remember anything much before he came to the U.S

Old 10-01-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
I am kalmyk.
Do you know anything or anywhere we can go while in Denver. Anything cultural,authentic food, art, history. He hasn't even met anyone from Mongolia. we are excited to explore his heritage.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:31 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
There's this Mongolian BBQ restaurant, and at least 1 or 2 others, in Denver. There are usually a lot of asian-looking people working/dining in there, but I can't tell if they're actually Mongolian just by looking. You might try askign the guys behind the grill, because I get the feeling that they ARE Mongolian,, but they're usually not to chatty.
Considering its a US based chain restaurant I doubt this is the case. It's not like some immigrant family opened a few of these in Denver. This place was started in Michigan by some entrepreneurial guy who was inspired by a restaurant in London.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:16 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
Considering its a US based chain restaurant I doubt this is the case. It's not like some immigrant family opened a few of these in Denver. This place was started in Michigan by some entrepreneurial guy who was inspired by a restaurant in London.
Ok then I linked to the wrong one. There's one in Denver (maybe to the south) which is independently owned and operated and has some distinctly Mongolian-looking guys behind the grill. You seem to know about the local Mongolian restaurant scene. Why don't you just post the link to the correct one? ...the one that's NOT a chain owned by whoever from Michigan.

Otherwise, it seems like the OP has gotten some more reliable info since I first posted,

Old 10-02-2013, 11:14 AM

324 posts, read 654,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortone78 View Post
Do you know anything or anywhere we can go while in Denver. Anything cultural,authentic food, art, history. He hasn't even met anyone from Mongolia. we are excited to explore his heritage.

No. I don't do much except carpooling kids to and from school and activities. Grocery shopping, malls, maybe a movie. Occasionally I have enough time to drive up to the mountains with my family and enjoy the scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver