Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 04:18 PM

22 posts, read 33,995 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in moving out to Colorado. I have been for some time. Recently went around the metro Denver area and loved it. Been looking at jobs out there as well and had some good offers; so so far everything is looking good..

I don't have any real specific areas to look at right now (I am open to suggestions). Young family of four, primarily looking for a nice quiet piece of land (min 10acres), good sprawled out neighbors, and decent internet. Hoping to keep it within a 30-45min commute from the city for general work purposes. Price and quality of the house is really subjective because I'll make it whatever I want regardless. But I have two primary questions about this area in which I've spent little time in:

1) How is the internet outside the main city? I was told it was real spotty and in a lot of places you can't even get DSL. I require a good cable internet connection for my job, and maybe DSL as a backup. I realize any place I move I'll have to check it out specifically but wasn't sure if certain areas were better then others for general cable coverage or not. Last home I bought I got burned badly from two cable companies and ended up having to move because I couldn't get service.

2) What is the laws regarding shooting guns on your property? I'm assuming it's allowed, so the real question is how often do people actually do this? I'm moving from rural Ohio where I'm surrounded by at least a dozen people within a 1mi radius who fire weapons off daily (on small 1-3acre lots). Just looking for peace and quiet outdoors, and feeling safe from stray bullets..

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by the.root; 10-29-2013 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 04:30 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Larger lots are not very common around Denver. In order to help you, you would have to specify a price range as lots vary greatly from the plains to the mountains.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Larger lots are not very common around Denver. In order to help you, you would have to specify a price range as lots vary greatly from the plains to the mountains.
I looked at a few houses a fair bit outside of Denver (30miles maybe) and they were over 10acres. Price range, I haven't really come up with one. The few houses I looked at were sub 400k. I'd say anywhere up to 750k would be idea.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:51 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.root View Post
1) How is the internet outside the main city? I was told it was real spotty and in a lot of places you can't even get DSL.
You were told right.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:26 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Re Internet access, this outfit provides fixed wireless service in many Colorado rural areas where DSL and cable are not available using WiMax technology WiMAX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Broadband Internet - SKYBEAM

Old 10-29-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Re Internet access, this outfit provides fixed wireless service in many Colorado rural areas where DSL and cable are not available using WiMax technology WiMAX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Broadband Internet - SKYBEAM
Thanks for that info. I'll have to look more into skybeam. I've used Clear (sprints partner) WiMax and was never that impressed (speeds would drop really low for long periods of time). But it's good to know they do cover out around there.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:35 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
You were told right.
No you weren't. I live 50 miles outside of the City, in a town of < 2000 people and we have Comcast service and other options, just like anywhere else. Of course if you're living up in the mountains or out on the prairie, outside of any town, on undeveloped land with no regular utilities, then it may not be available. Satellite is an option, but I wouldn't rely on that for work.

I work from home full time for a hi tech company and my business class cable internet service had been fine. Sometimes I need to let it run overnight when I have to do a big download, but no problems connecting, streaming live video/audio, screen-sharing, or other basic necessities of communication.

As for shooting guns, it depends on how bug your property. If you can clearly SEE other neighbors, then you probably won't be able to shoot guns there without it being an issue. Especially if you're anywhere in or near the Denver metro.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
No you weren't. I live 50 miles outside of the City, in a town of < 2000 people and we have Comcast service and other options, just like anywhere else. Of course if you're living up in the mountains or out on the prairie, outside of any town, on undeveloped land with no regular utilities, then it may not be available. Satellite is an option, but I wouldn't rely on that for work.

I work from home full time for a hi tech company and my business class cable internet service had been fine. Sometimes I need to let it run overnight when I have to do a big download, but no problems connecting, streaming live video/audio, screen-sharing, or other basic necessities of communication.

As for shooting guns, it depends on how bug your property. If you can clearly SEE other neighbors, then you probably won't be able to shoot guns there without it being an issue. Especially if you're anywhere in or near the Denver metro.
Thanks! Comcast is the only cable provider around there right? Do you get DSL at your house as well ( just curious, I like having a backup ) ?

As far as the guns - so then it is legal to fire on your own property in the surrounding counties? My neighbors here will fire guns 300ft from my me and the kids when we're outside playing (plain sight) - they simply don't care. It's hard to really learn that kind of stuff unless you spend a lot of time at the house before you purchase it unfortunately. Which is why I'm trying to gauge how active most the people around there are in shooting, I've lived in the country and mountains in WV and VA and never encountered it like here in OH - so it obviously varies a lot depending on the area.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:04 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
I think you would like parts of Conifer, Evergreen, and Elbert County. Just call Centurylink and Comcast and see what they can do? Franktown could work too, but you are pushing 45 minute commute. I live in the highly developed part of Parker if you go further east torwards Elbert and Delbert road it could work. No one fires guns around me Parker PD will be here in 60 sec or less if you pull that. Farther east not sure call Elbert County Sheriff.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 PM

29 posts, read 52,756 times
I don't care about guns, but I do care about broadband. How is the internet up in Longmont?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver