U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 01:27 PM

5,674 posts, read 10,072,205 times
Default Denver Metro And Snow

Just to let all of you know, that have asked about the weather/snow in the Denver metro area.......as I write this new thread at noon 10/17, it is snowing fairly heavy in the downtown Denver area where I work. The snow is not sticking yet, but it will be tonight into tomorrow morning.
We are two weeks from Halloween night and we are getting snow. I never got that in Indiana during Oct.
The first Oct./Halloween we were here in 2002, it snowed so hard during the week of Halloween, all the outside Halloween decorations at houses were WHITE. That was really weird to see.
So, the first snow of the season can (is) now and the last snow can be on Mother's Day Weekend.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:46 PM

61 posts, read 274,693 times
It just makes it fun! It wil be gone quickly. I rode my bike on the Platt River all afternoon Sunday, being 70 degrees and bright blue sky. Still the best weather of any place I have ever been. Where else can you ski and play golf in the same day?

Old 10-17-2006, 08:15 PM

17,119 posts, read 23,487,816 times
Default South Denver Guy...agree with you fully....

...and while we're kicking around the weather, yet again...let it be said....yet again....that we don't have hurricanes....or that darned humidity....or swarms of bugs....or earthquakes....or alligators in the canals....or hillsides that wash away season after season....or blistering summers that last from May to October like much of AZ and NV and...nor are we a part of tornado alley...

s/Mike, yet again....

Old 10-17-2006, 08:56 PM

615 posts, read 2,113,424 times
Snow in Denver in October. Hmmm... So, what is the problem? I'd be worried if we were not getting snow until into November, since I like to ski. It is not like it is a blizzard outside and it will be gone very shortly.

Snow in May. Still don't see a problem. It is not like there is perma frost here from October to May. Far from it!

Old 10-17-2006, 09:09 PM

gpraceman: Don't know where you were at this afternoon around 4PM, but I was on the I25 at Dry Creek and it was almost a 100% white out! And, after I was at home for a few minutes, a nice wind came up and "blizzard like" conditions exsisted.
SouthDenverGuy: You want to know where you go skiing and golfing both in the same day........Southern California. But we would never move back there. Since we are from Indiana and Michigan, snow doesn't bother us. It just seems so, so fun to us that so many people here think the weather here is so fantastic year around. Sun, sun, sun......yea, until snow hits or t-storms hit. People in Florida and Southern California probably laugh there butts off when they hear us say how great the weather is here all the time. They would say, "come to LA and you won't see blowing snow and 28 degrees during the afternoon"........they are right.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:17 PM

Ok, that is all from us about the weather here. It's not perfect.......period. Won't talk about the weather here again.......until a snowstorm/blizzard drops 6 feet of snow on the Denver metro area. We were here during that March '03snow. End of our replies from us.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:16 AM

13,313 posts, read 29,388,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We were here during that March '03snow.
We were too. The kids liked it because we had an extra-long Spring Break.
Our neighbors lost their roof and had to move out, our other neighbors lost their elm--it fell on their car. It's not always fun when it's late May and you have to put your potted flowers in the garage because of a snowstorm, but you deal with it.
I lived in Denver for many, many years--I was there for the Christmas Blizzard of '82, in which some lost their lives.
Colorado is a delightful place to live, and the golf-in-the-morning, ski-in-the-afternoon lifestyle, while really not feasible because of I-70 traffic, is never boring.
No place is perfect.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:51 AM

13,313 posts, read 29,388,394 times
Brrrr.
From Channel 9's website:
TODAY:
We are still looking at some lingering light snow showers and flurries this morning, but the heavier moisture has shifted well to our east, and the accumulating snows in the Front Range have pretty much ended. Drier air will slowly move in through the day, and we will see a little clearing this afternoon. It will be cool, with highs in the 30s to low 40s on the plains. In the high country, snow showers will linger with an inch or so of additional snow possible by midday. Warnings and Advisories for the north-central and southwestern parts of the state will likely be discontinued this morning.
PLANNING:
Some clearing overnight, with lows in the 20s on the plains. It will be warmer tomorrow and Friday, with partly cloudy skies. The next storm arrives Friday night into Saturday, bringing more mountain snow and a mix to the Front Range and plains. Cool into early next week.
That is some brisk weather for October, even by Colorado's standards.
I've had other years where I was harvesting tomatoes into November.
Ah well the trick or treaters may have a balmy night, you just never know.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Since we are from Indiana and Michigan, snow doesn't bother us.
Seems like it does looking at your many posts regarding weather. I do think that you are loosely throwing about the term "blizzard".

Quote:
It just seems so, so fun to us that so many people here think the weather here is so fantastic year around. Sun, sun, sun......yea, until snow hits or t-storms hit.
Most (if not all) of the people posting to this board have been acknowledging that we do get bad weather. We do also get a lot of sun and good weather. Focusing only on the bad weather is just as bad as those focusing only on the good weather.

Those who don't like snow should not move here. Those who don't like thunderstorms should not move here. Those that don't like any bad weather have no place to move since there is no such place. Even lovely SoCal gets blistering heat and Santa Anas and you have to deal with earthquakes. I've even seen thunderstorms and snow (yes, snow) within San Diego county. Florida has heat, humidity, hurricanes and swarms of bugs. There is no perfect place. Of all of the states, I'd rather be in Colorado. I'll take the snow and thunderstoms when they come and the sun and beautiful weather when it comes as well.

Last edited by gpraceman; 10-18-2006 at 08:32 AM..

Old 10-18-2006, 10:04 AM

As a footnote, it is rather sunny now, lots of blue sky, the roads are drying up, and it is not likely that the snow on the ground will be around for very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver