Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 04:00 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
^^^ Finally a bite! LOL.....and how long ago was that?
It was a long time ago because liquor was illegal a long time ago. Do you not see the correlation between illegal substances and gang wars?

Old 04-03-2014, 04:10 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
^^^ But wait! Do you not see that there was Mobsters before and after liquor was illegal/legal?

What you're trying to do is say that there wouldn't be gangs if drugs were legal...fact is there will be gangs/gang violence either way! Gangs just try and profit from whatever they can....do you not see the difference?

Those of you saying the problem is due to illegal drugs are very myopic! The problem is problem people!

Old 04-03-2014, 05:04 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
The problem starts in the home with the lack of parenting. Having parents that know how to show right from wrong is a huge thing. Of course I am stating the obvious but that is where it starts.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:05 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
By the way, thank you for this thread.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
^^^ But wait! Do you not see that there was Mobsters before and after liquor was illegal/legal?

What you're trying to do is say that there wouldn't be gangs if drugs were legal...fact is there will be gangs/gang violence either way! Gangs just try and profit from whatever they can....do you not see the difference?

Those of you saying the problem is due to illegal drugs are very myopic! The problem is problem people!
Yes there were still mobsters. They moved from liquor to gambling to drugs. Drugs are what remains of the illegal sin industry. Legalize that and the money dries up. Slowly we are getting there.

Sure people are the problem, but take away the motivation for a lot of the violence and eliminate the reason entire societies are in prison and a lot of that goes away.

Your solution is lock more people up. That obviously doesn't work and creates more societal issues. Time to try a new approach.

And I am definitely NOT saying that gangs go completely away without drugs, but their money does largely go away. The cartel wars in Mexico? Gone.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 04-03-2014 at 07:46 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 03:23 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
BTW NSM HAD territory in Sunnyside decades ago and that is in North Denver (Since you are from CA North Denver is NW Denver geographically speaking).
Yes, wrong side of Denver. The guys in the video are from NW Denver.

I still catch people reppin' North Side every now and then. They're usually about my age.....it would seem they would be a dying breed, pushed somewhere by gentrification (perhaps South Thornton/etc).

Old 04-04-2014, 03:03 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Yes there were still mobsters. They moved from liquor to gambling to drugs. Drugs are what remains of the illegal sin industry. Legalize that and the money dries up. Slowly we are getting there.

Sure people are the problem, but take away the motivation for a lot of the violence and eliminate the reason entire societies are in prison and a lot of that goes away.

Your solution is lock more people up. That obviously doesn't work and creates more societal issues. Time to try a new approach.

And I am definitely NOT saying that gangs go completely away without drugs, but their money does largely go away. The cartel wars in Mexico? Gone.
So, do you think that meth and heroin should be legal? That is where the "mobsters" and the Mexican drug cartels make most of their money now.

The way to eliminate the drug dealers and cartels is to make the punishment so severe for dealing in things like meth and heroin--as in the DEATH penalty--that the severity and certainty of said punishment makes the financial reward insufficient for the risk that must be taken. Closing the US border to ANY illegal entry to the US is another step, as is deporting the people who have entered the country illegally.

As for gang activity, encouraging responsible parenting and quitting the subsidizing of irresponsible parenting will go a long way to eliminating that problem.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
So, do you think that meth and heroin should be legal? That is where the "mobsters" and the Mexican drug cartels make most of their money now.

The way to eliminate the drug dealers and cartels is to make the punishment so severe for dealing in things like meth and heroin--as in the DEATH penalty--that the severity and certainty of said punishment makes the financial reward insufficient for the risk that must be taken. Closing the US border to ANY illegal entry to the US is another step, as is deporting the people who have entered the country illegally.

As for gang activity, encouraging responsible parenting and quitting the subsidizing of irresponsible parenting will go a long way to eliminating that problem.
So you want to live in the Middle East? No thanks. You understand that people want drugs right? What you are suggesting is a death penalty for providing people with a substance that they want. There is no way that I could ever advocate for such a position. It is pure lunacy.

As for completely closing the border, it's a pipe dream. It also will not stop criminals from coming here. Gun control opponents like to say that if you make guns illegal, only criminals will have guns. The same logic applies to completely closing the border. Only the real criminals will get across. An isolationist mentality that presumes if we simply close the border the violence will stay over there is so naive.

Regarding the legalization of all drugs, I'm not sure. This was where my conversation went with my FBI friend. We both agreed that the current war on drugs is a complete joke. It is not stopping people from using. The money we are using on enforcement and prison could most certainly be better used for treatment.

I have kids. I don't want them to use drugs. Will legalizing drugs make it more likely that they use them? I'm not sure. Drugs are illegal and plenty of people still use them. We are wasting countless millions of dollars on a completely failed strategy. It needs to stop.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 04-04-2014 at 03:45 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 04:59 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Debates can go on about some currently illegal drugs, but there is no way that meth or heroin should be legal--EVER. Both, meth especially, wind up being a death sentence for many, if not most of the people that use them. Not to mention the havoc both cause for the families and friends of the users. As far as people's freedoms go, the old saying holds true, "Your freedom to swing your fist ends at the end of my nose." As far a giving people want they want as an excuse for allowing them to do it legally, that dog don't hunt, either--not when what they do also ruins the lives of people around them.

Just because some people disobey a law, it's not an excuse to do away with the law. Lots of people disobey traffic laws. So, should we just abandon all traffic laws and let people do whatever they want on the roads because of it? It would be anarchy. Same argument about the borders. If I build a fence around my house or place of business with concertina wire, there will be some people who will manage to get through it to steal something, but most thieves won't. I'd certainly rather deal with the one guy that gets through once in awhile than have 200 people walk in unrestrained and loot the place.

All of this goes back to very fundamental problem in modern America. People forgot that with freedom comes responsibility. You can't have the first without the second. And if the second fades away, the first won't be long in leaving, either. And that is exactly where we are.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:29 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
So, do you think that meth and heroin should be legal?
I do.
Libertarian in that regard.
The only drugs that should not be OTC are antibiotics.

Darwin's "Law" would take effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver