U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-21-2007, 12:51 PM

79 posts, read 326,569 times

Advertisements

So... for those of you who have been lucky enough to escape California and move to Colorado, how much did it cost you to move?

My wife and I are planning to move this summer 2008 to Parker from Orange County. I were are not lucky enough to have a job with a company that will pay for moving expenses, I'd like to know how much I should budget for a professional moving company? I'm thinking $3 -5 thousand.

What did you pay on average? Any moving companies you'd recommend?

Last edited by mrlucero2002; 11-21-2007 at 01:53 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 03:10 PM

26,362 posts, read 56,072,269 times
I'm only posting because I did get the full relo. Naaah, na, na, naaah, na.

What about selling your OC home? Those closing costs will be killer.

Other advice I have heard for moving is getting rid of as much stuff as you can, you can buy new stuff when you get to Colorado (you'll have an excuse...)

What about DIY, rent a POS rental truck from U-Haul?

Also, keep an eye on you mover when they pack your stuff. They may be labeled "Starving Students" or "Nice Jewish Boy" but here's who shows up to your front door...

Nice Jewish Boy Moving & Storage

Starving Students - Local movers, long distance moving services, relocation services

Old 11-21-2007, 03:14 PM

17,033 posts, read 14,596,888 times
I think it cost us closer to $10,000 to move from Central Cal to Denver. That was with United Van Lines. we packed some, they packed some, 2300 sf, 4 bedroom house. They hauled everything except some personal items we wanted to take in the car. Don't forget to budget for gas, hotels, meals on the road, etc.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:06 PM

73 posts, read 186,159 times
We have used Upack twice for ca-dc and dc-ca - We packed our boxes ourselves and hired a third party prof licensed local moving company at both locations to move all the stuff out of the home into the truck.

Cost us less than 4K each trip - 2200 sq ft home.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:11 PM

79 posts, read 326,569 times
Thanks for your input folks. Forgot to mention we are renters and will be moving from a 2 bedroom apartment. Thank God we don't own a home right now.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:10 PM

11,726 posts, read 24,816,091 times
at the picture, Charles. They look like the last guys that moved me. One was named Luther and had a wall-eye. The other one wasn't in much better shape. The previous move, I had Mexicans and they're preferable to the probably meth'ed out white guys out there.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:21 PM

169 posts, read 710,680 times
It cost us $7,000 from Orange County. We got rid of a lot of furniture before hand but shipped two cars. Luckily my wife's company paid for everything.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:18 AM

1,546 posts, read 3,972,798 times
Funny thing. If you go to UHaul's website, you can plug in numbers and get quote for moves throughout the country. Because so many people have been trying to escape California, you will often find the rates are MUCH higher for a one-way move out of Cali than the same move to Cali. For instance, I just plugged in the numbers for a quote for renting a 26' U-Haul truck from San Diego to Denver, one-way, and the quote was $1378. The same quote for the same truck, one-way, from Denver to San Diego was $634. It's all about supply and demand and these prices indicate that there are a LOT more people making one-way moves out of Cali than into Cali. Here's the link.

U-Haul: Equipment rates and reservations (http://reservations.uhaul.com/ReservationsWeb_4_1/Default.aspx - broken link)

Old 11-23-2007, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 20,367 times
Default re:Moving Expenses: California to Colorado

I would go with Penske. They have better prices on their truck rentals & from what I understand they are much better with their equipement maintenance than U-Haul is. We moved to CO from WI about 6 weeks ago & it only cost us about $1000 for a 26' moving truck for 7 days. They only charged us $50 for every 2 extra days. Oh, & unlimited miles too! Now, we had to do our own packing, loading, driving, etc., but that's what we preferred because it was cheaper. We ran into some delays along the way & they worked with us every step of the way. They even reimbursed us for a night we had to stay in a hotel in Omaha due to having to have a "check engine" light checked out the following morning there. We also used Penske 12 years ago when we moved from CA to WI & they were just as wonderful then too. So if you want to do all the work yourself, I would wholeheartely recommend Penske any ol' day.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:19 PM

8 posts, read 137,175 times
Penske rate for 26' truck from Los angeles CA., to Denver CO. is $1,150.00 for 7 days and $125 per day after that-as of April 20th,2008 6:55PM to reserve.

UHAUL can provide the same size 26' truck for 8 days for $901.00 PLUS 1 FREE MONTH of STORAGE, ANY SIZE STORAGE AT ANY UHAUL (based on availability)if reserved over the phone. The free month of storage helps the new moves and provides 30 days to 'organize' their new lives. If these so called 'beat up' trucks are good enough for celebrities...

As for the question of poor gas mileage and handling of Uhaul trucks? Have you seen the two and a half hour high speed Police chase video involving a 22 year old woman in a stolen UHAUL truck?

U-Haul Chase - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/video-search/m/21811634/u-haul-chase.htm - broken link)

Moderator cut: no advertising or solcititing on the forum
Attached Thumbnails
Moving Expenses: California to Colorado-57989_katherine_heigl_moving_with_u_haul_truck_in_hollywoodjan_26celebutopia_27_122_168lo.jpg   Moving Expenses: California to Colorado-57710_katherine_heigl_moving_with_u_haul_truck_in_hollywoodjan_26celebutopia_18_122_159lo.jpg  

Last edited by katzenfreund; 04-20-2009 at 07:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver