Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:53 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times

Advertisements

One of the ways to rate schools is to use national tests.

High schools students take the SAT and ACT (required for all high school juniors in Colorado). You can compare schools and districts using these tests. This will help even if your child is not in high school. Good high schools are the result of good middle schools and elementary schools that feed into them.

If you compare AP test scores, you should see if you can find passing rates for the tests. It not enough that students take the classes, you want to know if students actually pass the tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 09:44 PM

56 posts, read 71,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombow1 View Post
Rschreck, or anyone else for that matter, can you expand on the comment about good schools in Denver being comparable to mediocre schools in Dallas?

We, also, are contemplating a move to Denver. My 3 kids (15, 14, 11) are all currently in private school here in DFW, but I was hoping to switch to public schools if we make the move. I've been doing my research, but was waiting to post a question until I had a definite yeah or nay on my husband's job situation. The above comment really caught my eye though. Thanks!
I don't have time to get into this in detail at the moment. But I do have one thing to say: this past election the people of Colorado voted against raising taxes to fund public education. Yay people of Colorado. It was the right thing to do because hey, it's not my problem if the teachers don't have the resources to educate my children. Google Colorado Amendment 66.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,827 times
Thanks for the responses. My research suggests that the best of Denver public is comparable to the best of DFW public- I've mostly compared ACT scores and programs/classes. The draw for me is the broad range of classes and activities that are available in a public school, such as Cherry Creek. I feel like my kids are getting a solid education, but a small private school can only offer so much in the way of extras.

The school choice, magnet programs, charter schools, and deadlines etc is a bit overwhelming. There is nothing like that here. We do have high property taxes though- I'm amazed at the low property tax in Denver.

Thanks again!

Old 12-02-2013, 09:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
And the situation is better in Texas how?

Old 12-02-2013, 11:30 PM

546 posts, read 1,818,610 times
Hello--just thought I would chime in. We just moved to the Littleton area from DFW. I went to college in Boulder and have also lived in several different parts of the Denver Metro area. Of everywhere I have lived, I absolutely love it over here on the west side. I am also very happy with my kids elementary school. They went to a wonderful school in Texas so I did have to change my expectations a little bit but they are doing well. I did a lot of research online regarding schools and also called and visited many as we narrowed down our house search. Another great choice for researching schools here is coloradoschoolgrades.com. The school they go to was rated a 10 and an "A" for whatever it is worth.

We are in Jeffco district. Most of Lakewood and Golden are also Jeffco. Littleton varies a lot and many homes with a Littleton address on the more western/ southern side are actually unincorporated Jefferson County. An all conservative school board was just elected in Jeffco but I personally don't think it is going to be all doom and gloom like some are predicting. It is something to be aware of though. Because we live in an older, more established neighborhood the class sizes are reasonable. I love the mix of people in my neighborhood too--a nice blend of retired folks, families with older kids and young families.

I absolutely LOVE Boulder too but I think it was a better fit for me when I was a younger free spirit. I now have 3 kids and living in Texas has moderated my politics quite a bit. We were there recently to visit some friends and people were most definitely very outward about smoking pot, etc. Doesn't bother me but I do worry about my kids and the questions! I have heard the schools are very good but the cost of living is higher than most other metro areas so you probably would not find anything of substantial size for $375K and at that price point if it was a house it would need updating or work. Since you don't have to worry about commuting Boulder might be a good fit. I think I may live there again someday

Hope this helps! Good luck with your home search and your move from Texas. I can't tell you how awesome it was to be outside EVERY day this summer with my boys I have a new appreciation for the beauty here and the weather.

Another thought--if we didn't have to worry about a commute my first choice probably would have been Evergreen or Ken Caryl Valley.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And the situation is better in Texas how?
Please note, this question was directed at rschreck. I was on my kindle last night and it's hard to edit on same. A couple of us posted at almost the same time.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:15 AM

322 posts, read 525,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreminio View Post
Hi!

I'm currently in DFW and have narrowed down my search to 3 cities in the country, with Denver area #2 (right behind Davis, CA, if my job's relocation offer is good enough, and tied for #2 with Boulder if something non-tiny pops up).

We're a small family of 3. My job is software development, I work from home, no commute concerns here.

My "sweet spot" range is up to ~$375k. I am looking for a large home in a bikeable area. You can see my other two choices are very bikeable, but if they do not pan out I am still extremely interested in the Denver area!

Good schools (looks like Littleton area checks out?), good parks (Littleton?), good views (west of Downtown, I'm guessing).

I do not want to be car-free (we have two), but would like to be in as bike-friendly a neighborhood/town as possible, with bike lanes and bike lock stands. Basically, Boulder without the Boulder.

Am I aiming too high, or does somewhere outside of the Boulder area offer these types of amenities?

I'm currently in Allen, which is very much *not* biker, or walker friendly. Everything is spread way out, and I would love to reverse that completely and have everything close by!

Sorry about polluting your fine sub-forum with another one of these posts, but hopefully my no-commuting thing makes some difference.
Hi there, I grew in Denton, TX, spent my late teens and early twenties in Davis, CA (go Aggies!), and now live in Denver. Both Boulder and Davis are very bikeable, but don't offer a lot of homes for under $375k. Biking in the city of Denver is fine, but it doesn't offer a lot of off street trails outside of Stapleton (which has great schools and excellent views of Downtown and the Rockies, but small homes for the $), the major rivers/creeks (Cherry Creek, Highline Canal and Platte River), and the major parks (Wash Park and City Park). But, it is relatively biker friendly and improving everyday with more dedicated bike lanes and awareness. My husband bikes 8 miles to his office from Stapleton (when the weather is decent) and doesn't have any issues. I think Denver will give you the least amount of that "spread-way-out" feeling in the metro area. For more info, see the Denver Bike Map - http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/708...2012_Final.pdf.

Regarding suburbs, many areas have a plethora of off street trails, Littleton, Highlands Ranch and Broomfield come to mind. But all of these communities are quite spread out. Another area to consider is Louisville (it is like Boulder, but not Boulder), but price may also be an issue there.

I also saw you had a note about weather - Davis, CA gets pretty hot in the summer. It isn't DFW hot, but you do have many summer days over 100. Denver will hit 100 every once in a while, but summer is mostly in the 90s (w/ some cooler days).

Good luck with the move!

Old 12-04-2013, 12:50 PM

10 posts, read 14,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire S. View Post
Regarding suburbs, many areas have a plethora of off street trails, Littleton, Highlands Ranch and Broomfield come to mind. But all of these communities are quite spread out. Another area to consider is Louisville (it is like Boulder, but not Boulder), but price may also be an issue there.
Louiseville looks beautiful, thank you, and thanks to everyone else who's responded. Great information!

Old 12-04-2013, 10:33 PM

45 posts, read 76,007 times
I would look in the Highlands neighborhood (not to be confused with Highlands Ranch). It's located just west of downtown, but still has a great neighborhood feel with tree lined streets, charming houses, local shops/restaurants, and of course lots of bikers. This area has become a hotspot and is currently the trendy neighborhood.

Home prices in that area have shot up over the last couple of years, but you can still find available homes in the $375k range depending on the number of beds/baths you want.

Another thing I'd like to point out about schools... In Denver, you don't have to send your kids to the neighborhood school nearest to your home. You can send them any school in the district you live in as long as they aren't filled. Just something to keep in mind!

Old 12-05-2013, 07:25 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePorchLight View Post

Another thing I'd like to point out about schools... In Denver, you don't have to send your kids to the neighborhood school nearest to your home. You can send them any school in the district you live in as long as they aren't filled. Just something to keep in mind!
This is quite difficult at the better schools from what I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver