Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 09:50 AM

56 posts, read 197,451 times

Advertisements

we moved here last june with 1 cat. we only had to drive 14 hours, though. i just put her in the jeep and she slept the whole time. i worried about transporting her for months until the day came. she was fine. didn't use the litter, layed on me the whole time. the vet gave me some tranquilizers, which didn't make a difference, but you might want them if you've got hyper cats. luckily mine just loves to be around me and purred everytime i held her in the car and slept on my feet. which doesn't suprise me because she sleeps on my feet everynight. regardless it is all worth it... moving to denver is the best decision i ever made in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:55 AM

119 posts, read 273,387 times
I know this is a really old thread, but does anyone know if moving cats/dogs to a higher elevation is ok? I will be moving cross country (from the fat midwest) with a dog and two cats to the Denver area. Are the animals able to breathe ok with the change in elevation?

Old 07-22-2011, 10:06 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,123,354 times
Your pets will be fine. One of my cats came from sea level to live @ 8300' with no issues whatsoever.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:49 AM

531 posts, read 1,146,332 times
One thing I don't see mentioned in the thread, is all cats and dogs must be registered and if necessary, have an updated rabies vaccine, within 30 days if moving into the actual city of Denver. See http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/682...edDogsCats.pdf

Other cities might have similar laws.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:55 AM

310 posts, read 651,517 times
I had a cousin just move cross country (DC to Newport Beach) with her cat, and used Jet Blue. They have a program (I think it's called Jet Paws) where a small pet can ride in the cabin under the seat. It's $100 extra (per pet), but I'm sure it's worth it for many folks not wanting to suffer through a long, long drive with their beloved critters.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:18 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I mailed my cat. OK, I didn't really. But contemplating a cross-country trip with a semi-feral cat was too much to bear - between the constant yowling, the problem of staying in a hotel, the possibility of her escaping -- all too much.

I shipped her via United Cargo (UnitedCargo) - a friend dropped her off at PHL with a health certificate that had been issued within the previous 10 days and then I picked her up with no hassle. There's a lot of tricky stuff to take note of - call the offices to discuss, because it can change. But there's rules about ID and when the person dropping off the animals has to be there and what kind of crate is necessary etc. But Taco arrived safely and that's all I care about.

Oh and I think it was less than 150 bucks.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-22-2011 at 03:30 PM..

Old 07-22-2011, 03:24 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
I drove from Denver to FL. with three cats..the first night they hid in the motel...the second they cried all night...but I may have to do it again..Fl to Denver-they each have a crate-this time I may get tranquilizers but we all survived & I knew they were safe

Old 07-23-2011, 11:25 AM

230 posts, read 408,949 times
Be careful and make sure they get plenty of water... cats when scared won't eat or drink like they should. I transported a cat in a car 14 hours and ended up with kidney problems because she wouldn't drink.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:04 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
@dmiller91, that was kind of why I shipped my cat. I knew the stress of a three day trip would be really awful for her, and cats tend to get sick when they're stressed. Shipping Taco meant she was only freaked out for about 8 hours (door to door), as opposed to a few days. As soon as she got out of the crate at our new home and saw my dogs, she stopped screaming and started purring - and she's been pretty happy ever since

I had wanted to add to my original post though that I would avoid shipping an animal in the summer months, just in case there's a problem.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:33 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
@dmiller91, that was kind of why I shipped my cat. I knew the stress of a three day trip would be really awful for her, and cats tend to get sick when they're stressed. Shipping Taco meant she was only freaked out for about 8 hours (door to door), as opposed to a few days. As soon as she got out of the crate at our new home and saw my dogs, she stopped screaming and started purring - and she's been pretty happy ever since

I had wanted to add to my original post though that I would avoid shipping an animal in the summer months, just in case there's a problem.

Well I was going to do that but my friend shipped her two cats from Denver to Miami-one of them didn't survive..

If I have to do it again I'll make the drive in 1 1/2 days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver